Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Urgent : Two day parking at OR Tambo for motorcycle  (Read 2333 times)

Offline africana

Urgent : Two day parking at OR Tambo for motorcycle
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:34:08 am »
Not sure if this is the correct place but I need to fly to Bloem on Thursday and back on Friday.

Question: safe parking at the airport? Don't trust parking people who take your car etc. Have seen bike parked at the airport next to the usual parking bays but payment? No way can you sneak past the booms either.....

Any advice appreciated thanks.
Honesty is very expensive. Don't expect it from cheap people.
To begin, begin.
“If you are out there shooting photos, things will happen for you. If you’re not out there, you’ll only hear about it.”

Offline Wolzak

Re: Urgent : Two day parking at OR Tambo for motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 11:56:43 am »
Phone this Lady
I park with them for the last 6 Years, every Week.. Good service.
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
Harley Davidson Deuce

Offline africana

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 12:04:21 pm »
Thanks will do
To begin, begin.
“If you are out there shooting photos, things will happen for you. If you’re not out there, you’ll only hear about it.”

Offline DCR

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 12:56:24 pm »
I'm doing the same on Thursday, but from this side. Will leave the bike at the free parking whilst going to JHB for the day.

At Cape Town airport there is dedicated bike parking in one of the parking garages. One of the booms are shortened and the parking is free. This is not advertised anywhere though. I can't see why there won't be a similar arrangement at ORT? Take a ride out there one evening and have a look.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:59:19 pm by DCR »

Offline SlowMo

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CTX200
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 01:08:40 pm »
Not sure what the issue is, but I (and others) have left my bike on "sidewalk" right next to the paying station for extended periods and I've always "sneaked through". (I see it more as ... I didnt use there parking bay so should i pay then?)

Never had any problems. I think with the general security at airports (no car guards!) the blxsms would rather take chances elsewhere.

Offline africana

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 01:24:24 pm »
I have seen the bike there that's why I asked in the 1st place. Agree with the not paying for unused parking bay. Not much room between boom too slip through and then there is the spikes to contend with. But will have a looksee on Thursday morning. Paying for the parking is still cheaper than a shuttle (R480 one way x2!)
To begin, begin.

Offline Beebop

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 01:32:18 pm »
Right near the end of the pickup/drop off lane at ground level, there is a pedestrian entrance to the parking area.
Bikes fit through there comfortably and there are many bikes parked there. This area is after the booms, so you just ride
out without having to tailgate a car. I have parked there overnight without issues. Having said that, it has been a few years
so they may have closed that up, but I doubt it.

Here is a picture from google street view, you can see there bikes parked there.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:36:12 pm by Beebop »

Offline africana

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 02:04:15 pm »
Cool! Will have a looksee as I said and save the money for a shuttle. Our company small so all the savings I can get will be a good thing!
To begin, begin.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 02:26:16 pm »
What times are your flights - could leave your bike at my place and give you a lift maybe?

I stay in Atlasville.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline SlowMo

• Pack Dog
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 10:34:13 am »
I have seen the bike there that's why I asked in the 1st place. Agree with the not paying for unused parking bay. Not much room between boom too slip through and then there is the spikes to contend with. But will have a looksee on Thursday morning. Paying for the parking is still cheaper than a shuttle (R480 one way x2!)

Very easy to slip through spikes, always go in with a car... never alone ;)

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 07:43:44 am »

OR Tambo parking exits have two booms with spikes close to each other.  First boom opens, car drives in, boom closes behind car, 2nd boom opens.   I am pretty sure a car and bike won't fit together.
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 10:26:00 pm »
OR Tambo parking exits have two booms with spikes close to each other.  First boom opens, car drives in, boom closes behind car, 2nd boom opens.   I am pretty sure a car and bike won't fit together.
Maybe not one behind the other, but certainly side-by-side...
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.
I do not intend to attend every argument I am invited to.
I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 02:31:05 pm »
Right near the end of the pickup/drop off lane at ground level, there is a pedestrian entrance to the parking area.
Bikes fit through there comfortably and there are many bikes parked there. This area is after the booms, so you just ride
out without having to tailgate a car. I have parked there overnight without issues. Having said that, it has been a few years
so they may have closed that up, but I doubt it.

Here is a picture from google street view, you can see there bikes parked there.

This is the best solution. Been doing it for years.

There's an old ballie who works for ACSA who parks there everyday he has an old XT to make 2SD jealous as well as a hammered 950 adv. Reckons it safe as houses.

I have been parking there for years with trips from same day up to 2 weeks without issue. Friday 2 weeks ago I got back from 2 weeks away and everything okay. I see some guys chain their jackets to the bike. I have not had the courage to do that. I go with an empty top box so I can leave my helmet and fly with my jacket.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
  • No vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 09:19:53 am »
Useful thread thanks. Need to fly to George for a couple of days and was wondering if there is a way to slip through if parking there
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline africana

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 09:35:25 am »
I took a wrong turn and ended up on the level above the recommended parking. Left the 990 on a normal parking Thursday morning, collected Friday evening and again hopped over a cement walletjie and left without hassels. However, I would recommend that you park as per the previous threats and not 'sneak' in as I did....
To begin, begin.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 09:47:16 am »
Useful thread thanks. Need to fly to George for a couple of days and was wondering if there is a way to slip through if parking there

PM sent....  :thumleft:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline SlowMo

• Pack Dog
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 12:50:39 pm »

You are absolutely correct but I can assure you I have done this on a number of occasions. Since it is an effortless exercise i cant even remember exactly how, I do it.

What I do know is I'm usually more worried that some ACSA security guard is going to jump out screaming in front of me than I am concerned about the spikes...

Offline ibthomson

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Heaven = a mountain with bikes, motorcycles + skis
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2021, 08:54:34 pm »
Parking at OR Tambo Airport still viable and safe? Considering leaving the bike there for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk