Stellenbosch to Die Hel and back...a weekend solo mission

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelwithacause

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I want to share my recent weekend trip with my WD comrades. This is my first ride report so bare with me, but I’m giving it a go.

A few weekends ago I did a quick 2day mission from Stellenbosch to the in my mind at least infamous place, Die Hel. I grew up with my dad telling stories about their vasbyt stappe into the Swartberg Mountains during their infantry training at Oudtshoorn. He used to mention the Swartberg pass and a place called Die Hel. We never got to go to go there, so I kinda forgot about it until about two week or so before my trip. After long discussion about where we wanted to ride to my college, who would have joined me, proposed we plan a ride to Die Hel. That immediately lit up the little light in my mind and recalled the stories my dad told about the place. It was a solid hell yea from my side; he first had to get permission from his lovely wife before we had two hell yeas. And so there between our offices (to be honest, offices are an over statement, we work in an open plan thing) we decided we are doing a 4day trip to Die Hel with some nice camping and leisurely riding distances for each day and enough time to explore once we arrive.

As things go a few days before our trip my colleague was informed that he must go to South Sudan to go visit a job site. So he could not join anymore. I was faced with the question of whether or not I should do a solo trip. I was so psyched to go; I mean, my bike was practically already packed, but really did not want to go alone. I asked some other friend and even organised a bike for another friend, whose bike was totaled not too long ago (read as; @Kortbroek is now muffed as he has to drive to work each day in his cage and miss out on all the fun rides). Both of them sadly also had to cancel on the last minute. After thinking about it for a while I decided to just go solo but also do it in two rather than four days, leaving me with 500km, with lots of dirt road both days. So I phoned my dad to just let him know where I was going and told him about my route. If he wasn’t as sorry for his new bike he would also have joined.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    385.9 KB · Views: 583