Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Frame protection  (Read 5700 times)

Online Noneking

Re: Frame protection
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 02:21:45 pm »
Wunderlich makes a similar product, slightly bigger which also covers the lower most pipe on the frame.  Wunderlich is generally cheaper than TT (in MY experience - others may have a different opinion).  I have found that TT real prices in SA (comparing Rand price) are about double those in Europe whereas the Wunderlich prices are about 2/3 more (66% instead of 100% more).

I phoned the Wunderlich importer, since we stock a fair bit of their product, but as I suspected, they do not (yet?) do a frame protector for the LC bikes, only the Oil-heads.

Cheers
Chris & Team

I suspect they're feeding you incorrect info??

...could be!

But my relationship with Denver (Biggs) goes back 5 years, we've worked shows together (AMiD, Africa Bike Week, etc), so cannot see that he would WILFULLY mislead me!  ;)
I just took the time to write to him, to clarify...
"Hi Chris,

"Only the ones for the old shape (2004-2012) which I will do at a special price..."

this may mean he himself has not imported them, but I did ask him if they were available, not if he had stock!

thanks for the correction...

Come in, Bling King...!

No problem Chris!
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline 1190

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 04:24:18 pm »
i use rubber anti slip stuff they use on steps.  it is self sticking - I use cable ties as well, looks neater than that big contraption. 

you don't have to protect the whole area.  just one or two small sections

Do you have pics? or where to get it from?
Smith & Wesson the original point and click interface

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 05:07:39 pm »
Wunderlich makes a similar product, slightly bigger which also covers the lower most pipe on the frame.  Wunderlich is generally cheaper than TT (in MY experience - others may have a different opinion).  I have found that TT real prices in SA (comparing Rand price) are about double those in Europe whereas the Wunderlich prices are about 2/3 more (66% instead of 100% more).

I phoned the Wunderlich importer, since we stock a fair bit of their product, but as I suspected, they do not (yet?) do a frame protector for the LC bikes, only the Oil-heads.

Cheers

Chris & Team

I had a look on the Wunderlich.de website and the item(s) is/are definitely listed.  They have two options for the GS(A) 1200 LC - silver and black.  The mistake I made was that the Wunderlich part includes both left and right (I said that you have to order separately but that is for Touratech - sorry for that).

For those interested, the part numbers are 42740-001 (silver) and 42740-002 (black) and they sell for Euro 69,90 here in the EU.  However, it seems as if they are out of stock and will be available again soon.  That could be part of the confusion but I am only speculating.  I will post the link to the items later when I have access to a decent computer and faster connection speed.
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 05:32:44 pm »
If I do this correctly, there should be a picture and a file desribing intallation.  Let's see... ::)

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 05:35:52 pm »
This is what they say about the product:

Quote:

Frame protector
Frame protector
42740-002

Fits to

Model   Additional information
 R 1200 GS LC (2013 - )   
 R 1200 GS LC Adv. (2014-)   

Frame protector
Frame protector - black

Part No. 42740-002
Be the first to review this product
Soon available again
Price: 69.90
Incl. 19% VAT, Excl. shipping
Free shipping from 300.00
Still 300.00 up to free shipping delivery
(Within Germany)

Add to Cart
Add to Wishlist
This product fits to
Made in Germany  Made by Wunderlich  5 Jahre Garantie
No more damage. Constant chafing on the frame with your boots (especially motocross boots) will damage the paint, reduce the value of the bike and even reduce the wall thickness of the frame tube. Together with Dirk Thelen we designed a light and strong plastic protector that follows the frame tube like a second skin providing a perfect protection.
The facts:

Boots can no longer be caught on the protector or frame.
Frame protected from damage from Enduro boots
Protects swing arm pivot from dirt.
Prevents losing the pivot cap
Precise fit. No chafing and rattling noises.
Easy to fit.
Weight: Only 80 g per side.
A must for any serious GS Rider; the frame protectors have proven their value many times in rallies, competitions and everyday use. Thermoformed from sturdy ABS plastic. 2 versions are available: A silver thermoformed ABS plastic in silver colour with a paint-like surface finish or the professional edition made of a black coloured, very abrasive-resistant fibre reinforced hybrid plastic material. You no longer have to watch your every move because the frame is now safe from you or rather your boots!

We have deliberately chosen a solution from sturdy plastic.Harder materials will damage the frame and the paint more in the long run than they would protect it.

End of quote.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 05:38:20 pm by Copernicus »

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 12:41:56 pm »
Unlike some I cannot afford to be on this site all day - so before we all throw stones let me clarify this.
I can get - I do not have in stock after the bike show.

I am putting in an order to Wunderlich and can add them. However haven't ordered before because as we all know the dealers quote a price and everybody goes - hell that is expensive - it is only plastic - and rush off to the Pooratech thread for a locally made alternative.

The Wunderlich kit is better, because they do not manufacture anything unless it is top quality. Everybody thinks that plastic is plastic - NOT
These are made of ABS plastic, which is hugely more resilient than the locally produced ones and will not show the scuff marks as easily and keep their looks.
There is also the obvious part of nearly ZAR18/1 euro, plus transport, plus VAT etc etc ......so we end up with a price of around R 1550.00/set.
If you still want I will supply Chris with pleasure......
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Our quality is our key!

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 01:05:05 pm »
 :P

Let me just do the math for some people because I have to admit to getting a bit narfed with people at the show going "but I checked this dingamagafta on the Wunderlich site and it only 80 euros and you want how much???????"

Knee jerk conversion for people is taking the Euro price and somehow converting it to ZAR 10.00/1 euro.....wrong my last shipment I paid R18.04/1 Euro. Do not take the rate quoted on MixFm/94.7 etc etc as the rate you buy at, it isn't, quoted as we speak is 16.61/1 euro. The real buy rate is R17.07.......

So take that 80 Euro and do the math = Euro 80.00/1.19 = 67.22 (German VAT) x 17.07 + ZAR 1147.56 x 9.22% = ZAR 1253.36 (the rough shipping matrix figure) x 14% = R1428.83 (SA VAT)
That is before any one us suppliers has made a cent profit or got it to Cape Town our Pinetown or wherever.......oh I forgot we aren't supposed to make anything, silly me!  :deal:

ANyways I just thought I would share that as people tend to get the idea that us importers all have a X5 or similar in the garage......I drive a Caddy p/van  ::)
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Our quality is our key!

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 01:12:24 pm »
ANyways I just thought I would share that as people tend to get the idea that us importers all have a X5 or similar in the garage......I drive a Caddy p/van  ::)
....and I'm in a 2nd hand XTrail, 220,000km, and 2002 model!  ;D

Guys, I have ordered in 5 sets, will post here when I have them in stock, etc.
Cheers
Chris & Team
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Online Noneking

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 02:55:34 pm »
Unlike some I cannot afford to be on this site all day - so before we all throw stones let me clarify this.
I can get - I do not have in stock after the bike show.

I am putting in an order to Wunderlich and can add them. However haven't ordered before because as we all know the dealers quote a price and everybody goes - hell that is expensive - it is only plastic - and rush off to the Pooratech thread for a locally made alternative.

The Wunderlich kit is better, because they do not manufacture anything unless it is top quality. Everybody thinks that plastic is plastic - NOT
These are made of ABS plastic, which is hugely more resilient than the locally produced ones and will not show the scuff marks as easily and keep their looks.
There is also the obvious part of nearly ZAR18/1 euro, plus transport, plus VAT etc etc ......so we end up with a price of around R 1550.00/set.
If you still want I will supply Chris with pleasure......

Nobody was throwing stones, merely inquiring about a product.  :xxbah:
Perplexed as to why you would come out attacking? :eek7:
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 09:52:30 am »

Let me just do the math for some people because I have to admit to getting a bit narfed with people at the show going "but I checked this dingamagafta on the Wunderlich site and it only 80 euros and you want how much???????"

Knee jerk conversion for people is taking the Euro price and somehow converting it to ZAR 10.00/1 euro.....wrong my last shipment I paid R18.04/1 Euro. Do not take the rate quoted on MixFm/94.7 etc etc as the rate you buy at, it isn't, quoted as we speak is 16.61/1 euro. The real buy rate is R17.07.......

So take that 80 Euro and do the math = Euro 80.00/1.19 = 67.22 (German VAT) x 17.07 + ZAR 1147.56 x 9.22% = ZAR 1253.36 (the rough shipping matrix figure) x 14% = R1428.83 (SA VAT)
That is before any one us suppliers has made a cent profit or got it to Cape Town our Pinetown or wherever.......oh I forgot we aren't supposed to make anything, silly me!  :deal:

Chill, Bro.  I have tremendous respect for you people who make a living off a very limited market, especially in South Africa against all the odds (exchange rate volatility, import taxes, bridging finance, transport costs, etc.).  Well done!  :thumleft:

And for the record, I have received only the best service from Denver when I had a problem with my rear shock a few years back although he did not make a cent off me (BMW did a goodwill exchange).  I will always (and have in the past) recommend him.

Offline plaky

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 09:16:11 am »
I have used VPS on all the parts that boots can touch. I put a double layer on and works like a charm. I buy a whole lot of offcuts for R100. I also put it on the front forks for chips and insects, wipes off easy. As it is see through you don't really see it. I have it also on my tank.

Online Noneking

2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 06:34:59 pm »
Have stock available R900 + delivery (main areas delivery R95) so total R995 courier or postal speedservices to all areas
MADE FROM 1.5MM 304 STAINLESS STEEL

contact us on info@dustriders.co.za
Amanda

MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Noneking

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 06:52:23 pm »
Have stock available R900 + delivery (main areas delivery R95) so total R995 courier or postal speedservices to all areas
MADE FROM 1.5MM 304 STAINLESS STEEL

contact us on info@dustriders.co.za
Amanda
Netjies!

Is daar swart vir die GSA?
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2016, 12:21:39 am »
Nie op die stadium,maar sal uitvind of moontlik....

Amanda
info@dustriders.co.za
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Noneking

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2016, 09:45:16 am »
Nie op die stadium,maar sal uitvind of moontlik....

Amanda
info@dustriders.co.za

Dankie Amanda!
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 04:32:17 pm »
Kan dit swart powder coat,maar onthou dat dit ook sal "afkrap "elke keer as jou boots daarteen stamp met staalpunte, maar kan gedoen word, sal koste laat weet ens - het gehou teen LCA frame - foto hieronder
Amanda
info@dustriders.co.za

info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Noneking

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 10:16:26 pm »
Lyk glad nie sleg nie!
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R