Changing the airfilters on the Africa Twin 2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanti

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Busy prepping my bike for a long journey up north , one of the things I am looking at is changing the air cleaner on the road - especially after a dusty day on dirt roads , got my owners manual out to find the process and on page 88 where it deals with the air cleaner I am informed that this should be done by my dealer and so doesn't have a schematic on how to correctly access the air filter , does anyone have an image ( not video as I will be on the road ) or images of the air filter changing process ? For that matter also how often should I be checking the filters riding on dusty roads ? The manual says I should replace the air filters at 24 000km - that cant be right for dusty conditions . I intend to be doing over 7000km on dusty unsealed roads so at some point I am going to have to get to grips with this one . Do I have to bring additional filters along / Can I clean the filters that are already present and carry a set spare  ? Is there any bodge I could do - ie a pre filter ( stocking or something  ) over the snorkel inlet to prolong the life of my air filters ? Will this addition effect performance ?
Before I start with my screwdriver and remove panels a bit of advice would be great .
Kind of strange to bring out a bike for unsealed roads and expect a dealer to be round every corner to change air-filters