Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Heavy duty inner tubes.  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Mapog

Heavy duty inner tubes.
« on: April 30, 2016, 10:52:41 pm »
No one seem to have these in stock, but managed to find one in Bloem Honda.

What is the story wrt the scarcity?

Paid R400 for a 100/100 x 18.

Good price or too much?

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Re: Heavy duty inner tubes.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 01:39:05 pm »
Price is ok if UHD.

HD is thinner and cheaper and standard is even more so.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline HeeBs

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 02:58:01 pm »
Had some but in my opinion, they are not worth it. Heavy on the bike and to be honest, if you hit a nail or something it's still going to get pierced !

Rather stick a normal tube in the tyre and carry another as a spare and It'll probably cost the same.

Offline Tampan

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 03:47:27 pm »
I ride my XRL around the farm a lot and after numerous flats from thorns, regardless of slime in the tubes, I migrated to the thick tubes. They're about 5mm thick, very heavy and expensive, but I haven't had a puncture since.
I carry standard tubes with me as backup, but I suppose I'll stick to the heavies.

Offline Mapog

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:38:36 am »
So, you get normal,HD and UHD.

The ones I fitted is the UHD.

Why the scarcity?

Offline 2wdrift

Re:
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 01:19:45 pm »
I used UHD tubes and slime on my 1190R for a while. Never had any issues and when replacing the tyre I found enough thorns and stuff in the tube that I bought a new one.

Use the same on my XRR to good effect.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 05:34:29 pm »
Scarcity could be, IMO, because they are not that popular?

I used them exclusively for at least 2 years before I realized that they are 1. expensive, and 2. not that good.

In my experience, they very easily tear the valve out of the tube because of lack of flexibility, they are almost impossible to patch, they are VERY heavy, and if taking a spare
they take lots of space.

I use thin tubes.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:33 pm »
They're for off-road, low pressure riding - quite popular with the poor folk who can't afford mousses.

Try Just Bike Tyre, see if they have - I've never had a supply problem in the past.

I use them on the 950 as well but it's really coz I will do ANYTHING that sounds remotely helpful, to avoid trying to remove that rear tyre on the side of the road.

Offline Hugonator

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:59 pm »
I have Bridgestone 4mm heavy duty tube with slime  in my front of my 690. Just had to many flats in the front. They only help for thorns...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • www.adventureriderssa.co.za
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 07:22:10 pm »
I swear by the UHD tubes, sure you can still get punctures, but my experience has been that when I do they are slow punctures. I have had cases that when I went to put a new tyre on they remove the tube only to find that there are 4 thorns right through the tube but the tyre never lost pressure! I normally then patch the UHD tube and refit it. Nice thing is you can still run lower pressures and not get impact punctures. I won't ride without UHD tubes.
Riding Africa's lesser traveled tracks, discovering true adventure!
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 08:41:36 pm »
I swear by the UHD tubes, sure you can still get punctures, but my experience has been that when I do they are slow punctures. I have had cases that when I went to put a new tyre on they remove the tube only to find that there are 4 thorns right through the tube but the tyre never lost pressure! I normally then patch the UHD tube and refit it. Nice thing is you can still run lower pressures and not get impact punctures. I won't ride without UHD tubes.

The UHD tubes definitely reduce the puncture count, and won't snakebite as easily. I never had good success patching them though.

Offline boland

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 08:50:35 pm »
I had a 2.5 mm HD tube in the front for a short while, but I couldn't live with how it affects the handling. I cant even imagine a 4 mm tube! But it does make sense for enduro use like it is intended.

Offline Chairman Meow

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 09:38:43 pm »
I have Bridgestone 4mm heavy duty tube with slime  in my front of my 690. Just had to many flats in the front. They only help for thorns...

+1...swear by them and yet to get a puncture.  Great inners.  Trac Mac stocked them

Offline Hugonator

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 04:15:58 am »

+1...swear by them and yet to get a puncture.  Great inners.  Trac Mac stocked them
Yes also got mine from trac mac. I did about 3k with mine and no problems as of yet.

Offline Serfie

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 08:51:08 am »
I have experienced difficulty in getting UHD tubes for the rear 17 inch wheel, but the fitment centre I use, split one tube and wrap it around the other which then becomes something like a double tube with nearly the same thickness as a UHD. Admittedly I travel on gravel and very little on tar - normally just to get to the gravel...   

I also use slime 'Fugit' in my tubes, and after 5 years and approximately 30 000km of gravel travel, I have had one nail in the rear of the KLR (before using slime) resulting in a slow puncture.

I'm too stupid  ??? to realise the difference in handling between using a UHD tube and a normal tube, but my fear of being stranded in the bundu's with a puncture  :patch: coupled to my technical inability to fix a puncture  :-[, makes me utilize whatever I can to prevent them. Will even very soon approach DOC KLR, who now apparently does a 'proper' Sylkaflex kind of tubeless conversion, for assistance! 
“So much of life can never be explained…it can only be witnessed and experienced…but above all...life just goes on…no matter what!!”

Previous bikes - 1980 XL125S: 1986 IT200: 1989 XT250:  1999 Africa Twin 750XLV: 2011 XR250 Tornado: 1999 XJR900 Diversion:  1996 Varadero XL1000V: 2007 Transalp 650 : 2015 Kawasaki Versys KLZ 1000
Currently - 2008 KLR650 / 2008 DR650 / 2015 SYM CROX 125 /  2014 BMW F700GS

Offline Xpat

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 10:52:08 am »

How do you patch UHD tube? I would really like to know - I, and other people I know, have tried many times and the patch always comes off within few dozen km. Is there a trick I am missing (I always wait at least 10 minutes after I apply the glue before I stick it on)?

I use HD/UHD tubes as standard for my trips, but carry normal tubes as back-up. They are much lighter and smaller to pack and I can patch them (which I wasn't able to do yet with HD/UHD), so theoretically should be able to withstand more punctures (as I can fix them).

Offline Mapog

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 05:59:09 pm »
Ive never patched a UHD tube, but I have fitted many gators to tyres without any problems.

Surely if I can make a gator stick, even at reduced pressure, its possible to patch a UHD inner?

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 06:07:51 pm »
I've never tried it, in fact never thought of it, but that idea about splitting an old tube and using it as a liner over the new one sounds interesting.

Any comments/experiences?
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 06:39:19 pm »
I have experienced difficulty in getting UHD tubes for the rear 17 inch wheel, but the fitment centre I use, split one tube and wrap it around the other which then becomes something like a double tube with nearly the same thickness as a UHD. Admittedly I travel on gravel and very little on tar - normally just to get to the gravel...   

I also use slime 'Fugit' in my tubes, and after 5 years and approximately 30 000km of gravel travel, I have had one nail in the rear of the KLR (before using slime) resulting in a slow puncture.

I'm too stupid  ??? to realise the difference in handling between using a UHD tube and a normal tube, but my fear of being stranded in the bundu's with a puncture  :patch: coupled to my technical inability to fix a puncture  :-[, makes me utilize whatever I can to prevent them. Will even very soon approach DOC KLR, who now apparently does a 'proper' Sylkaflex kind of tubeless conversion, for assistance! 

Serfie, the fact you've had one nail in your tyre after 3000km has no bearing on the tube you used. Tell us how many nails you've pulled out your tyre without having a puncture, with or without UHD.

There have been a few discussions on the sikaflex conversion - read them. It's not 'proper' by any stretch of the imagination but you may find it worth the risk.

----------------------------------------------------

Tubes/tyres/rims/pressures/use --- these are all related -- you can't consider one without the others.

I've had punctures in all types of tubes and even had a UHD split itself - an inch long tear with no damage elsewhere - why?how? I don't know - replaced it and moved on.

Offline See Duiwel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Passop voor!
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 07:00:18 pm »
Daai dik tubes is a bitch om uit te haal.  Nevermind patch. Eenkeer lank terug by 2SD 'n cheapie China dun tjoepie gekry en hy het gehou for evar!!
A car window is just a TV screen