2016 Amageza Rallye: Dakar Challenge - Engine Capacity Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allow all motorcycle classes to compete for the 2018 Dakar Challenge

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Camelman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Lets brain-storm...

As you may or may not know, you can win a free entry to the 2018 Dakar Rally on a motorbike if:
  • You win the Amageza Rallye - Dakar Challenge
  • You finish within the top 30% overall in your class.

The Dakar basics:
  • You can only race the Dakar on a 450cc or smaller capacity bike
  • The Dakar Challenge is for a Malle Moto (trunk and bike) entry.
  • You need to get yourself and your bike to Europe. (or rent a rally bike in Europe)

The problem:
If I allow the Restricted (450 and less) and Open (451 and more) to compete together for the Dakar Challenge (Free entry to Dakar 2018) I may be faced with the wrath of the Restricted looser if a 690 wins, or a Open looser if a 450 wins.

The arguments:
  • The 450 is better on technical and twisty
  • The 690 is better on sand or open track

I have thought of:
  • Air-restrictions: similar to what Dakar did for 2008 with 690's
  • A handicap system based on engine capacity. (Lots of questions here, and lots of arguments. So it needs to be air-tight.)

I don't want to disappoint the riders in the open class, but I also don't want to sit with protests after the race. Seeing that one wants to be fair, what do I do? Friday I sent out a letter stating 450 only, now I'm second guessing that decision after chatting to a 501 competitor in the gym. The objective of 2016 was to keep the race simple and awesome, not to have a competitor have to fork out for a new bike. We all want to do the Dakar, but how do we keep this engine capacity-thing fair to all?

I will really appreciate your thoughts on this one.  :-\