Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: From "Para" to Dakar.  (Read 40935 times)

Online Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: From "Para" to Dakar.
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2016, 05:54:37 am »
Respect Joey to you.  :thumleft:

Been following the Mezourka Rally and now here as well ,  your story is really remarkable ,  this is the first time I got the full story and really enjoyed it and was inspired by your bravery , strength and courage and most of all , your humility . :thumleft:

We went through a similar upset with my brother and I can so relate to the pain and the endless suffering before it starts getting better.

And look at you now , Amageza , Mezourka and next the Dakar . You really are a true inspiration . And such a nice person .  :3some:

All the best and we will follow you on social media and support you. Look forward to the rest :ricky:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2016, 09:25:14 am »
Bliksem Joey, what an adventure!

Sounds like you totally nailed it: A problem-free rally, and you dealt with the dunes really well. How was the Nomad team & service?

Looking at the last 5-6 Dakars, the stages are obviously a lot longer, but on most stages there are much less dunes, more riverbeds, single & fast double track and a lot more fesh fesh.

One exception: If Peru is on the menu, then expect at least 2-3 more stages of pure, huge, huge dunes.

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Bazinga

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Nat-Su-Kow
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2016, 10:17:16 am »
very well done Sir!!!

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Fortune favors the brave
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2016, 11:56:24 am »
Thanks for the support as always guys.

Nomade racing were very good. The bike was well prepared, Manu and his partner Angel are great people and very accommodating. The language thing was a challenge as my mechanic couldn't speak a word of English, also leading up to the race the communication was sparse. I guess having done it a bunch of times they assume a lot of things, whereas I had a lot of unanswered questions, like do I need my own tools for on the bike? and do they give me some spares to carry like spark plug and injectors? also can I have a test ride before the race starts? When I got there they helped me out with all that stuff but it was difficult going there mostly blind as to exact arrangements.
I would recommend them as far as support goes, but communication was a challenge.
If anyone wants to do it next year they are welcome to call me for any advice or any questions I might be able to assist with.
The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

KTM 450RR

Offline SteveD

« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2016, 12:09:07 pm »
Hmm, so who are you planning on using at Dakar? Joey and Joey Pty Ltd, Malle Moto, or a support team?

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2016, 12:43:30 pm »
Hmmmmm, Joey and Joey has a nice ring to it. Seriously though they don't let you go Malle Moto your first time and I can see why. A good team is invaluable, these guys know the drill, have connections with the factory teams for advice, inside info and even preferential spares when there's a shortage (think salt pans).
Also you need someone to prep your bike properly, all the teams I spoke to recon you need 30-35 hours to get a brand new KTM450RR ready to actually race. They do all sorts of little mods of stuff they have learnt over the years that potentially can go wrong. Any of which can be a race ender. Naturally you also want someone working on the bike each night that knows the 450RR inside out and understands the toll Dakar takes on a bike. These guys also give you a heads up on any changes to start times, roadbook changes, how much fuel to carry, what to watch out for and all sorts of stuff that only experience can buy.
At the moment I have my heart set on going with the same Dutch team as Walter. Walter and I got on really well and the team seems very jacked up and speak good English. Bart the team boss and I got on great as well and I like their focus on bike and rider with their own toilet, shower and sleeping quarters on the truck as well as they make a lot of their own meals saving you time and energy in the bivouac. The mechanics also speak English and you could see they really knew there stuff. Walter has been very happy with them too that's always good to have a referral. Its looking like Vince will be with Nomade again which is a good call as they are very jacked up too and he would be their top rider and his third rally with the team. They know each other well and he's been to Dakar before as a mechanic so needs a lot less babying than me.
It seems most teams prices are similar so no real saving one way or another. You pick the guys you gel with and who would give you your best chance of a finish. I walked the pits a lot and asked tons of questions which was great to have that opportunity to do while in morocco.

KTM 450RR

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2016, 01:09:27 pm »
Joey, you are spot on about the support. :thumleft:

Having spent a couple of days in Dakar bivouacs, I can tell you that generally they are quite shitty places; they are so huge it can take 15 minutes just to get to the showers/mess tent from where you might be camped. There are also a couple of thousand people using the ablutions so the porta toilets get very, very mank very, very quickly.  So having your own setup with showers toilet etc and a place to sleep is invaluable.

Malle moto Dakar is really for the veterans only, and they at least have the advantage of being situated close to everything. But those guys are super hard-core. Still not quite sure how they manage it.
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline SteveD

« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2016, 03:35:12 pm »
Is that the Dutch Bart with the crowd that Darryl Curtis, Neil Scott-Williams, Iain Stevenson and Grag Raaff used in 2012, Memo Tours?
I like that idea, a lot. Bart fed us with loads of info during the 2012 race.

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2016, 04:16:00 pm »
Joey, I see Glen Foley got your pic all muddled up in the latest Dirt & Trail magazine  :biggrin:
'69 Model.

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2016, 06:55:46 pm »
Also from ZA # 16 David Thomas
                    # 71 Walter Terblanche
From Bot       # 78 Vincent Crosbie

Joey , you have some maatjies from "here" !
Practice your Afrikaans there ! LOL
Did  you  pick up some words out there ?

Offline lj111

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2016, 08:30:26 pm »
Some people feel the rain and others just get wet...

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2016, 09:38:11 am »
Is that the Dutch Bart with the crowd that Darryl Curtis, Neil Scott-Williams, Iain Stevenson and Grag Raaff used in 2012, Memo Tours?
I like that idea, a lot. Bart fed us with loads of info during the 2012 race.

I don't know if it's the same guy. It is a different team to Memo though. I realized at Merzouga that it takes time and effort to send pics and keep everyone up to date while on the Rally. With intermittent and slow wifi made it even harder. For Dakar I'm going to need a better plan. I'm thinking maybe a voice note that I send to my wife and she types it out and posts it all over. I really want everyone to be able to follow but I'm gonna need all my energy and focus on the race in order to finish. It doesn't help if everyone know exactly what's happening and feels part of it until day 2 when I go out with lack of sleep😳😳!!!!

KTM 450RR

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2016, 10:18:35 am »
Joey, I see Glen Foley got your pic all muddled up in the latest Dirt & Trail magazine  :biggrin:

Haha, just saw that. I scored some hair and look really fit. On the AbuDhabi podium as well! Suits me fine👍  David must be peed!!

KTM 450RR

Offline Ross Riddle

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #133 on: June 06, 2016, 02:33:26 pm »
Keep up the Good work.
Looking forward to reading all about it. Bleak that i am not going to be able to do Moz with you and the rest of the crew.
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2016, 03:57:58 pm »
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2016, 01:09:20 pm »
Just got back from a good training ride with Dallie from Pongola and the Subtech guys. We were up in Mozambique for 5 days rode lots of sand and riverbeds. I rode Mark's 450RR and he rode my 500 so was great training fighting the big beast through the sand.
I also sent in my Dakar entry and paid the deposit yesterday so we are all go for 2017!! Pretty unimpressive CV but after finishing Merzouga they have to take me! :deal:
I have a question for you guys, it was asked me by one of the guys helping me with possible sponsors. How many South Africans have finished the Dakar on a bike? I'll write who I know of, if you know of any others just pop them on the list. Thanks :thumleft:

Greg Raaf
Alfie Cox
Brett Cummings
Riaan van Niekerk
Darryl Curtis
Albert Hintenaus
Kobus Potgieter
Tom Claasen

KTM 450RR

Offline windswept

« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2016, 01:52:43 pm »
Do a T-shirt and cap thing and I reckon the WD will lap it up. :thumleft:

Offline nielvn

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2016, 08:50:15 pm »
What a read, well done.... :thumleft:

Offline T9ER

• Pack Dog
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2016, 06:26:47 pm »
Thanks for the support guys :thumleft:
Please remember if you would like to support me and put your name on my bike check out my website and follow the link to donate. Anything is really appreciated.  fromparatodakar.co.za

A couple pics from Mozambique.

KTM 450RR

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2016, 08:26:50 am »
That Mozambique riding looks fantastic Joey. Who did you ride with?

I think you have most of the recent South African Dakar finishers apart from Elmer Symons. Although he did not finish due to a fatal crash on the 9 January 2007 in north Africa, many riders that year rode with him on their sleeve to the finish.

I never met him but he was a really fantastic chap and great rider by all accounts. Here is a link to his memory by family, friends and rally guys.

Your call but I think it might be fitting to include his name?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:27:30 am by BlueBull2007 »