KTM 950 Adv S rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whethefakawe

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Time for a more relevant and positive topic......

My old steed that I bought in August 2005, a 2005.5 Adv S, is looking a bit sorry for itself lately. Not to mention, it's been parked for .......holy shite....almost two years, just realised that. Pathetic!  Last ride was a desert loop with my mate on his GS 1200, after a scenic stop about 100 k's from home my clutch went away completely - clutch slave cylinder had taken a bowel movement. Luckily I twigged instantly what was going on, and managed to pull away. It was an interesting ride home, scared quite a few tourists and old tannies at stops signs and robots   :lol8: but I made it all the way to my garage. Since then, I moved into a house again and now have a garage set up properly to start the BIG rebuild.

This bike has served me well, but I am very frustrated and a little sad that it has only about 21000 km on the clock. The bulk of that was touring through Europe twice, and it has done relatively few dirt k's, maybe 2 or 3000. Scandalous, I know. But the good thing is, once I'm done with this rebuild it will be better than a new one....ESPECIALLY one of the new sissified roadbike 1190's.

Or any BMW out there "off-road"  :laughing4:

This thing is the original brute dirt bike that Meoni won the Dakar Rally on, and sadly, died on. The 2005/6 Adv S is reportedly 95% identical to the race bike, of course detuned and plebified here and there - after all, your average owner didn't and doesn't have a factory team of mechanics working on it...........Back in 2006 I did a full canisterectomy on it, rejetted it, and then in 2008 at the start of my Euro tour, changed to higher handlebars and Scotts steering damper. I finally got a new Seat concepts seat last year that has yet to have an arse parked on it. While the wheels are rolling, that is......

I just made up a list of the obvious things to do, it came to 21 items. Might as well list them:
1) New wheels - having custom wheels built by DUBYA in California, with Talon hubs, Excel A60 rims and heavy-duty spokes. My SA mate out there is getting me the 'factory' deal on them  :biggrin:
2) New tyres and tubes. The Scorpions mounted in London in 2012 have very few miles on them. Might as well run them till they show cord, we'll see.
3) Replace clutch slave cylinder  - KTM aftermarket improved model
4) New Shorai lithium-ion battery, getting mate's rates on that too. Big savings.
5) Suspension rebuild by Stilwell Performance, he lives 15 k's from me. Convenient.
6) Rottweiler air filter system install. This gives 10 extra hp purely by improved airflow and rejetting.
7) New fuel pump. 21000 k's of absolutely trouble-free riding is about as far as I want to push my luck
8) Cycra hand guards install. A no-brainer
9) New brake rotors, probably Galfer
10) Radiator guard
11) New rear brake light switch - rusted to hell
12) Black Dog bashplate install
13) Fastway X-large footpegs install
14) Rebuild Scotts steering damper
15) Lube steering head bearings or replace
16) Lube swingarm bearings and shock mounts
17) Headlight guard install
18) Remove pannier brackets and powdercoat, then into storage
19) All rusted nuts and bolts - replace - this will be quite a project
20) All fluids replace
21) Black Dog sidestand relocation kit install. One of KTM's more stupid moves, bolting the sidestand to the enigine block WTF?

The bike still looks beautiful. Only when you get close do you see the imperfections  :lol8:

The wheels are the worst off. Here's a tip - don't store your KTM on an island in the Med for two years unless it's in a tub of oil  :lol8:

Various bits and bobs, most rusted and will be replaced. Rear brake switch:

Throttle cables

Various nuts and bolts

Only turd in the pap pot is, the puny little OEM KTM manual is going to let me down. I can't even find the rim sizes in there.....yes it's on the rims themselves, but I'll need a real Shop Manual. Cha-ching! another 80 Euros or whatever  :angry4:

This is going to be expensive. I already have much of the aftermarket stuff, but the wheels will be the single biggest hit. Luckily my mate Jody has come through   :thumleft:

Let the games begin.