The Kalahari Tyre lever tour- Pretoria to Kgalagadi Park

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armpie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
The Kalaharileeu –loop becomes the Tyre lever Tour.  Pretoria through the Kalahari. Delareyville, Stella, Piet Plessis, Morokweng, Heiningvlei, Severn, Van Zylsrus, Askam, Welkom, Mier, Upington, Olifantshoek, Sishen, Kuruman, Pretoria

Now for a long time I wanted to do the Kalahari.  The last two years I was in Botswana at the Pans.  But getting someone to travel from Pretoria to the Kgalagadi Transfronitier Park and back is not easy.  The heavy did not want to damage his new GS- As if I would do thinks that can do that!  And the manne from the JRAD went to see one uncle with a Cowboy hat preek in the Karoo.  So I set of alone on a Friday Afternoon.  I would overnight at a place called Kameel, on the R377, 50km from Delareyville.  The Friday afternoon went well and I arrived about 7 o’clock at the guesthouse at Kameel.  An old railway siding in the Western Transvaal.  It was also here where the 1914 Rebels of General Jan Kemp went past on their epic 700km march from the Western Transvaal to German West Africa (Namibia).  The main railway line to the old Rhodesia also run through here.  The 10 or so houses have all been sold, and the house that belonged to the Kunsmisverkoopsman is a guesthouse these days.  Nothing shiny, but clean and B&B at R400 a winner.  Dag 1.  370km