Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: S.A.A.F Regiment  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Tabasco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
Re: S.A.A.F Regiment
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2017, 03:45:03 pm »
Deurgangskamp (khayelitsha) '87 (8 eskader vlug 1)
2nd phase waterkloof  & die plaas (air defence)
then off to ops hooper & moduler

I was at deurgangskamp '88 (7 eskader), 2nd phase - radar waterkloof, ondangwa 6 months, Pietersburg afb, Ellisras, Devon.
Interesting story whilst at Ondangwa was a PF radar operator who messed the screen 180 degrees making it look like normal domestic flights were migs coming to bomb us. Pik Botha accused the Cuba of not following UN resolution 435....Opfok wielie walie delux
;D small world - we were probably together in Ondangwa in '88 ('87 was in Rundu),

Myself had the opfok of my live in Ondangs (sadly due to my own bad judgement/decision , luckily no one injured or dead).
Got split by a Lt (he is a WD member here - but I doubt he remember me / no hard feelings - what happened , happened).
But boy that day was loooong , at lunch I thought this is it over & done but no the Samejoor took me for more till sunset.

After that I was the go to guy for any kak jobs  >:( (nothing that a beer or 2 could not fix though  :thumleft:)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:48:52 pm by Tabasco »

Offline bartman

• Bike: BMW (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 04:15:50 am »
I was also at Hoedspruit Jan '91 then off to Overberg/TFDC @ Bredarsdorp.   Some good times had and bad.
Do the Boom Pilot thing or get stuffed around on the reaction force?
I got saddled with the radio and number 2 for the LMG.
Col Eybers was our "instructor". That Bulldog was our "personal transport" taking us where ever we "wanted" to go.
Words I will never forget "Runner na die radio Kamer", only to discover that the guard commander needed something really urgent, like a sandwich or glass of water....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dirtjo

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Strand
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2017, 08:44:09 am »
Basics, Valhalla '86
STO Raak tiffie in'88
Louis Trichardt '88
TVOS '89-'94
YPLT '94-2001

Offline kyton

• Bike: Gas Gas (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 07:59:51 am »
I was also at Hoedspruit Jan '91 then off to Overberg/TFDC @ Bredarsdorp.   Some good times had and bad.
Do the Boom Pilot thing or get stuffed around on the reaction force?
I got saddled with the radio and number 2 for the LMG.
Col Eybers was our "instructor". That Bulldog was our "personal transport" taking us where ever we "wanted" to go.
Words I will never forget "Runner na die radio Kamer", only to discover that the guard commander needed something really urgent, like a sandwich or glass of water....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boom Pilot, but stayed in the reaction force barracks.   Also drove the Bulldog a lot.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:00:24 am by kyton »

Offline Rustyb

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 01:01:42 pm »
Who of you guys were at either Boston or Suikerkp in the 80's? I did 3/4 of my basics in '87 at the Transit Camp (Deurgangskamp) just outside Pretoria. I then volunteered to go on the Instructors Course (Regimental Instructor/PTI). While on course, I was selected to become a General's Driver, but was kicked off after they found out I was only 17, and thus could not legally drive a car. To cut a long story short, and very controvertially, I ended up becomiming an instructoor without doing the dreaded PT phase of the Instuctors course.

It would be great to hear from other guys who were at Boston or Suikerkop.

Was that the Transit camp above STT ? Was there in 85

Online Rossdog

• Bike: Husaberg (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2017, 05:22:08 pm »
Who of you guys were at either Boston or Suikerkp in the 80's? I did 3/4 of my basics in '87 at the Transit Camp (Deurgangskamp) just outside Pretoria. I then volunteered to go on the Instructors Course (Regimental Instructor/PTI). While on course, I was selected to become a General's Driver, but was kicked off after they found out I was only 17, and thus could not legally drive a car. To cut a long story short, and very controvertially, I ended up becomiming an instructoor without doing the dreaded PT phase of the Instuctors course.

It would be great to hear from other guys who were at Boston or Suikerkop.

Was that the Transit camp above STT ? Was there in 85

Yes, that's the place. I still have scars on my knuckles from scrubbing those concrete slabs with a wire brush to make them white. Every now and then the brush would buckle, and you would lose a layer of knuckle skin.
Let's ride!