PE to Plett - Whale Rally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beagle Boy

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Friday the 13th started off perfectly, weather was great and as Mrs Beagle had not done any gravel as a pillion we had decided to travel alone and take it slow.

The route to be taken: - PE, Kareedouw, Joubertinia, Avontuur (R62) and over  the Prince Alfredâ??s Pass to Plettenberg Bay, sounded fairly easy so off we set at 8:30 AM.

All was well until I noticed the GPS battery was low (ja, ja, ja no external power yet) so having told the Missus we would stop to get some Batteries, we came up the hill into Kareedouw and I spotted a newly built Supermarket on the right hand side, while still doing a speed of about 40km/hour I hooked across the road, only to lose the front, as the wheel dropped about 2 inches into loose gravel,  the back followed suite & thanks to the old  BMW course the â??point and accelerateâ? action pulled us out. When we stopped in the parking lot both I and the missus were slightly shaken. I was quite concerned that the scare was going to change Mrs Beagles mind about doing gravel.

Anyway, after procuring some more powerful batteries and re-energizing the GPS, Missus Beagle had a well earned nicotine dose while all this took place, on our way out we stopped were the bike had slid did a quick visual of the marks on the gravel and continued on our merry way.

Second stop was for brekkies in Joubertinia as the worms were starting to get a little aggressive and the Missus indicated that she needed another â??siggieâ? so we pulled into our usual brekkie spot â??Die Kraaltjieâ?. (Photo No1)

This place has never let us down, the chow and multiple coffeeâ??s were great. Over brekkies we discussed how we could have improved the near miss we had and came to the conclusion that even though we did not put the bike down my reaction was a little slow, there was no talk of skipping the gravel â?¦â?¦ YES.
Breakfast done, we left Die Kraaltjie with sweets for the kidâ??s, jam and chutney for the gran and we continued on our journey.
In Avontuur we were met with a â??Road Closedâ? sign at the foot of the pass, after a quick deliberation, we decided to continue our journey as planned but if we met with any obstacles that intimidated us we would turn around and tarr it to Plett â?¦. The long way round.
The pass is magnificent and the scenery was inspiring as for the road, that sign should be burned. Most of the flood damage has been fixed.

Mrs Beagle with the scoot �� loving the gravel!! (Photo No2)

Fantastic Scenery (Photo No5)

Looking down on a trout farm. (Photo No3)
Anyway, the gravel stuff was fantastic, Iâ??m happy to announce Mrs Beagle loved the scenery. Seems she will be pushing to join me on more off road trips now.
The rest of the trip to Plett was uneventful, we stopped at the rally entrance at about 13:30. The fun started, hell you bump into anyone and everyone at these rallies.

Some of our mates mulling around over a beer â?¦. Or was that Rum & Coke Mrs Beagle? (Photo No4)

PS. did I mention that as we pulled into the rally after registering, etc, I dropped the bike when I lost my footing  :-[. Some witnesses gave Mrs Beagle a 10 & others a 8 for the magnificent dive she took off the bike. Thanks to the 3 CMA guyâ??s who ran over to check we were all okay and to help me pick up the scoot.
All I can say is FRIDAY the 13th â?¦â?¦â?¦â?¦â?¦.  â??JOU MAâ?

Attachments

• DSC01687f.JPG
    DSC01687f.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC00016f.JPG
    DSC00016f.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC00019f.JPG
    DSC00019f.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC00020f.JPG