Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Air Box Oil  (Read 839 times)

Offline Bommelina

Air Box Oil
« on: May 10, 2016, 07:55:46 am »
A Question to Owners / Operators of the 690 GayTeeEm  ;D

I have a 2010 model 690R (Also known as the PitBike) with 70 000km on the odeo meter. Lately when I service the bike I found a substantial amount of oil in the air box. Is this normal? Sign of things to come? Reason? Prevention?

Short history of the PitBike:
Bought it new in 2010 - KTM did all the services while under guarantee.

When the guarantee expires after two years with about 25k on the clock, I replaced the standard KTM oil filter elements with these stainless steel mesh reusable washable type. (Donated by a friend in Canada)
   At about 40k, I replaced the air filter paper element with one of those foam type washable reusable type. (Bought cheaply at Touratech in Germany)
   Al the oil changes done after the guarantee expired, was done by me at a regular basis as specified by KTM using the very expensive overpriced oil as recommended by KTM.

Attached is a picture of the oil in the air box since the last service appr. 7k ago. (KTM reccomend a service at every 7500km for this model bike)
The depth of oil at the corner is about 12mm. The bike is standing a bit more lean over than normal due to a bent side stand bracket.

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
Re: Air Box Oil
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 07:59:57 am »
yoh, seems like a moerava lot opf blowby...oil rings going maybe or crank breather blocked..im no expert just what i've heard and seen over the years  :deal:

Offline Buff

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 08:57:07 am »
70 000km's on a 690 motor, well done  :thumleft:

Sorry, I can't offer technical advice but wiith that mileahe, I'm guessing it's time for new top end  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Bappas

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 09:00:17 am »
70 000 for a KTM is a lot. That is not Top end! Blow by through the breather. Rings!!
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers...What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 11:17:16 am »
yoh, seems like a moerava lot opf blowby...oil rings going maybe or crank breather blocked..im no expert just what i've heard and seen over the years  :deal:

That actually shows the crank breather pipe is open  ;D

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 11:19:37 am »
70 000 for a KTM is a lot. That is not Top end! Blow by through the breather. Rings!!

Yip.  Might need a cylinder job as well if there is a significant ridge.

Offline Bommelina

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:29:42 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys

Het Trax KTM ook gekontak en hier is die antwoord van hul af:

Dit kan een van n paar dinge wees wat dit veroorsaak:

1.       Die olievlak is te hoog, Die fiets moet warm wees en 1 minuut regop gehou word ,dan moet die olie tussen half en driekwart op    die glasie wys(nie hoer as dit nie.)

2.       Dit kan ook die ringe wees wat begin klaar raak en sump kompressie veroorsaak.

3.       As die fiets omgeval het na regs en effens ondersteboo le, kan die olie ook in die airbox in loop

Reken dit was No 1 - Daar was te veel olie in die motor plus No 3 toe 'n  XR600 op my neergeslet het (so twee maande gelede).

hh

Offline Thumper Dumper

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 06:42:47 pm »
Hi Bommelina
I would check the overfilling first seen as its the cheapest.
Can't complain about 70 000km before changing rings if that is the problem.
Cheers
Thumper