Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Will I make it?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Will I make it?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 05:00:01 pm »
How much is that hemisphere bag? Looks lekker for a 690
It's R5999....

At a modest mark-up, it landed to sell at an estimated R6499 retail...!
So we took a decision to cut our margin, and peg it at R5999.

Made by one of the Giant Loop developers, who swapped over to ALTRider, bringing  accross a new idea/fresh approach...

It feels - to me and to a couple of guys who have bought them - to Bmw worth more than the sum of its parts, since you have 2 'holsters', (empty), and on a day ride, you have space to carry stuff with the U-bag removed. Then the (significant) 2x 2L fuel carrying capacity, and it's a no-brainier.

I still love and sell Giant Loop, but this roll-top concept is more workable - for me - the minute I over stuff my GL Coyote I battle to close the zip, whereas with roll-top closure, no problemo!

So for me, the advantages are:
A very clever, bike-hugging luggage carrying system
The added bonus of choosing to ride, say a day ride,,with just the holsters, and...
The exterior fuel pouches, brilliant
Finally, roll top is clever!

Cheers
Chris & Team

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:02:37 pm by zebra - Flying Brick »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Online boland

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 08:43:28 pm »
Awesome, thanks for info Zebra. Def looks like quality :thumleft:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 10:27:05 pm »
Sorry to push on with off-topic:

@Chris: What is the smallest tankbag solution you know about? I have GL Diablo Pro, which is the smallest one I was able to find, but it is too wide for me when I have to stand while gunning it on dirt - as I tend to lean as much upfront as possible in order to relax my hands and the tankbag is getting in the way (on 690).

One more question: Isn't somebody planning to do something like bigger Mojave - i.e. with those side angled saddle bags with bigger volume (lets say - 15 liter or even more per bag - Mojave is 6l per bag- and ideally with external pockets for bottles per that Hemisphere thingy), but not connected in the middle with that horseshoe thingy - basically just two separate sidebags connected over the top with that platform over the rack. I use rollie bag on top (and I can choose different size so I like the flexibility), but would like for longer trips more space in the sidebags.

Ta.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 10:37:54 pm »
Chris, I'm looking for something like this, with three separate bags:

http://www.moskomoto.com/collections/moto-camping-luggage/products/reckless-40l-system

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DJg-u0t7vBE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DJg-u0t7vBE</a>

They are also planning 80 litre version. Aren't you looking into bringing in MOsko?

Ta

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 10:38:56 pm »
Xpat Have look at the wolfman enduro tank bag for some really compact

They also do a pocket bag that will basically take a phone, compact camera wallet and cigs
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:44:04 pm by Dwerg »
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Xpat

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 10:59:12 pm »
Thanks Dwerg. Wolfman tankbag is 2 litres bigger than GL Diablo I have (6l vs 4l). To be honest I do not necessarily mind the size, but width of the thing so I may have a look on Wolfman anyway.

Regarding the little pouch - I already have a thigh bag that I used for that so that is much cheaper solution. It is just much easier to get to camera in tank bag in a hurry (e.g. elephants coming or running away).

@Chris: I really like the look of that Mosko - aren't you planning to bring them in? I linked wrong video - here better one:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/n4Nn-y3E0rw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/n4Nn-y3E0rw</a>

And I have to say that 80 litre looks even better:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YYUegHH7sBY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YYUegHH7sBY</a>
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:08:21 pm by Xpat »

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 06:37:05 am »
Sorry to push on with off-topic:

@Chris: What is the smallest tankbag solution you know about? I have GL Diablo Pro, which is the smallest one I was able to find, but it is too wide for me when I have to stand while gunning it on dirt - as I tend to lean as much upfront as possible in order to relax my hands and the tankbag is getting in the way (on 690).

Yes, there is one perfect tank bag: it is called the SW MOTECH Enduro Light, and I have ridden with it for the past 18 months! It expands vertically, meaning you can increase its volume by  around a 1/3rd, but it is a very 'compact' tank bag, which is why it fits so well on my G450X, which has not front tank, and you sit very close to the bars, it can take a cellphone-charging cable THROUGH the case, and has a useful, small clear map window, which I use permanently. Am working from home, but the boys can give you prices, just type SW MOTECH Enduro Light into your search bar. It is a quick-release using rugged zip, meaning you only need to zip off one side, flipp it over and fuel up!
It works especially on 690/701, 450' , etc.

One more question: Isn't somebody planning to do something like bigger Mojave - i.e. with those side angled saddle bags with bigger volume (lets say - 15 liter or even more per bag - Mojave is 6l per bag- and ideally with external pockets for bottles per that Hemisphere thingy), but not connected in the middle with that horseshoe thingy - basically just two separate sidebags connected over the top with that platform over the rack. I use rollie bag on top (and I can choose different size so I like the flexibility), but would like for longer trips more space in the sidebags.

Yes, we were, project came to a stop. I was working with a well known rider called Howard Stassin, and the idea was nearly identical to what ALTRider came up with - holsters that STAY on the bike, and removable side bags, without the 'middle bit', we were using a rubber-duck type company, but they battled to deliver, and we then found ALTRidere Hemishpheres whilst looking for 'holster-type' bags, and this the reason why we jumped onto the product, and imported it! The bags we were looking at designing were 'targetted' towards hard-Enduro type bikes, 690-701, etc. So on my radar, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through; would you be available to be a test-bed / pack mule whilst developing a product? Cheers

Ta.

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 06:42:45 am »
@Chris: I really like the look of that Mosko - aren't you planning to bring them in? I linked wrong video - here better
Yes, we looked at it - there are very high costs to importing luggage - the duty alone is 40%, and SA is a million miles from anywhere, with a weakening currency, and we try and offer affordable products; makes it tricky to get all these right!

But am looking at it, possibly Spring 2016.

Cheers
Chris
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:46:30 am by zebra - Flying Brick »

S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline Xpat

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 11:51:25 am »
Thank you Chris.

I have checked on the net and that SW Motech Enduro Lite is bigger than Diablo Pro - both in volume (5.5l vs 4l) and dimensions - though in width that bother me most it is only marginally bigger. So I'm better with the Diablo for the time being - may put a strap around it to make it a bit narrower or something.

And sure, I'm happy to test whatever luggage you create in this 'pod' category, I really like the concept. My saddle bags work fine-ish, the only problem is I may need to modify the carrier racks as I carry them on footpegs and the racks do not provide sufficient support at that point and the bags flap a bit affecting the handling of course. This kind of thing (like Mosko 40/80) seems to me at least in theory as very nice solution for that.

And you are absolutely right about the zippers - there should be none on any self-respecting soft luggage. So the Hemisphere look better than Giant Basin (which I have), but I still think it will be difficult to get into and for me provides much less flexibility than the Mosko system (for shorter trip I can go without the rollie bag in the middle, for longer ones I can put even 40/50 litre rollie bag in.

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 05:09:47 pm »
Thank you Chris.

I have checked on the net and that SW Motech Enduro Lite is bigger than Diablo Pro - both in volume (5.5l vs 4l) and dimensions - though in width that bother me most it is only marginally bigger. So I'm better with the Diablo for the time being - may put a strap around it to make it a bit narrower or something.

Haha, I forgot about the Diablo Pro - we stock it! - but that is a very slim tank gag indeed, and at twice the price of the Enduro Lite, well, you know what I'm thing...

And sure, I'm happy to test whatever luggage you create in this 'pod' category, I really like the concept. My saddle bags work fine-ish, the only problem is I may need to modify the carrier racks as I carry them on footpegs and the racks do not provide sufficient support at that point and the bags flap a bit affecting the handling of course. This kind of thing (like Mosko 40/80) seems to me at least in theory as very nice solution for that.

We re-look at Moko Moto, the bags we hoped to design were reckless, picture a limpet clinging to a rock, but quick-release off of the holsters, that is what we are aiming for...

And you are absolutely right about the zippers - there should be none on any self-respecting soft luggage.
...except for the fabulous Flying Brick SYSTEM luggage - we put in 13 expensive YKK zips into each bag, and in 4 years, 300+ bags later, not one single zip failure, not one, in 4+ years.. and I'm pretty proud of that!

So the Hemisphere look better than Giant Basin (which I have), but I still think it will be difficult to get into and for me provides much less flexibility than the Mosko system (for shorter trip I can go without the rollie bag in the middle, for longer ones I can put even 40/50 litre rollie bag in.
Yes, will re-visit MOSKO system, and revert.
Cheers  :thumleft:

S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2016, 07:47:06 am »
Touch and go with a very light right hand but if there are other bikes with you you can always bum a bit of fuel or send someone to the petrol station

EDIT: I've done over 250kms on the stock tank but that was cruising at a constant 100km/h

Agreed. I have done 220 kms when the fuel light came on, on a slow bicycle ride thing. Then you have 2 litres left, which is also another 40 kays. Then your 5lts, which
is another 100kays.