Hard choice to make re my BELOVED KLE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakar wanabe

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLE 500
Hi guys (and girls)

I am at a cross road regarding my beloved KLE 500  ??? ???. I have an A1 model, registered in 1994 for the first time. Bike have been used for commuting (90%) and the odd weekend or out ride, never went serious off road except with the odd gravel road here and there. I am looking into the possibility to let her go, I had the same idea about 3 years ago and did the sensible thing and repainted her and fix her up where I thought it was needed. Latest issue is that it had seized the big ends, bike have now been standing for 18 months already and I have decided to rebuilt her completely, but I am at a cross road now with this??????

Things I have changed in the last 3 years include a total head job, incl new valves (x8), new guides and seals, new water pipes and thermostat housings were fitted, bike was repainted, with cosmetic changes here and there.

While the crank have been sent an engineering company I was told yesterday (after a 2 month waiting period) that they need to rebuild the crank which will cost me around R3500. I have bought new oversize bearings and thought maybe just to have it grind to the max oversize bearings available. But the engineering company just told me that is is not possible. While bike has been standing the bike have been totaly stripped to rebuild it to better then new with some upgrades here and there. A Rally Raid option was/is also considered. A power upgrade is also on the plans with max oversize pistons making it a tad above 500CC, new bearings and seals all around. New engine timing chain and tensioner with guides have also been bought. Front and rear suspension upgrade are also in progress. Bike has been converted to tubeless also already.

Must just mention that my "old" bike have been fitted with carbs, front and rear wheels, airbox and exhaust from an 2007 model.

My questions that I am having is the following:

1: Should I keep her and fix her up as I intended to do??

2: Should I just fix her up (without the upgrades)??

3: Sold her as is??

4: Sold her after fixing her up??

What is your guys opinion on this issue?

Maybe I am just looking for excuses to buy a new bike, but I have not yet find anything on the market that could compete (within reason) with my KLE. It served me well for 10 years and the repairs were minimal and reasonable.

Thanks in advance for your replies, I will consider all.

If there are anyone that would be interested in taking it over or parts there of, I will consider it if it would be the most viable option