Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Farmers closing roads  (Read 28806 times)

Offline adv

• <INSERT CUSTOM TITLE HERE>
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
Re: Farmers closing roads
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2016, 11:47:24 am »
Public road stays public road. Understandably we live in a country which is now a free for all and measures need to be put in place.

If there is no sign or number to call and I'm forced to break the lock (due to range), I will.  Simple as that.  Farmers out in the sticks also need to understand that.

I once rode from Laingsburg to Prins Albert on a road with a million gates. 160km in (40 from PA), a farmer decided to lock his gate. (no number to call, I don't even think I had signal) I had no choice to break the lock because obviously I could not backtrack.

Shit happens. We all deal with it.

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2016, 11:48:58 am »
I said I was done with this but Lakey has prompted a reply

My advice to you next time you find a rider illegally on a public road, swear profusely, beat him up properly and then shoot him, preferably in the kneecap. This will teach the city boy a lesson he sorely needs.

After all might is right and violence justified, it is the way og the farmer.

I am now done with this discussion

Please stick to your word !  :thumleft:

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2016, 11:52:54 am »
Those complaining about the farmers and their gates should rather appreciate the fact that they don't set up a toll booth at each!   >:D
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline 1190

« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2016, 11:53:48 am »
Some observation -

Don't farmers use cattle grids to stop livestock from going through a gate :pot:

If I got to a gate and it was locked I cant see myself leaving my bike at the gate, doing a 10km route march in my boots :biggrin: to the farm house having a cup of tea with the farmer and getting the key..... :biggrin:

It just so happened on Sunday that I got to a gate (wasn't locked) but it said private property....and I could swear it was the only way for us to get to the next town by gravel (not 100% sure) so I went back onto the tar and went another route. I've been shot at in the army and I never really enjoyed the experience :imaposer:
Smith & Wesson the original point and click interface

Offline adv

• <INSERT CUSTOM TITLE HERE>
  • Forum Whore
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2016, 11:57:15 am »
Some observation -

Don't farmers use cattle grids to stop livestock from going through a gate :pot:

If I got to a gate and it was locked I cant see myself leaving my bike at the gate, doing a 10km route march in my boots :biggrin: to the farm house having a cup of tea with the farmer and getting the key..... :biggrin:

It just so happened on Sunday that I got to a gate (wasn't locked) but it said private property....and I could swear it was the only way for us to get to the next town by gravel (not 100% sure) so I went back onto the tar and went another route. I've been shot at in the army and I never really enjoyed the experience :imaposer:

Fsck, must be an EC thing. Move to the WC, things are friendly here.

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2016, 11:58:52 am »
Public road stays public road. Understandably we live in a country which is now a free for all and measures need to be put in place.

If there is no sign or number to call and I'm forced to break the lock (due to range), I will.  Simple as that.  Farmers out in the sticks also need to understand that.

I once rode from Laingsburg to Prins Albert on a road with a million gates. 160km in (40 from PA), a farmer decided to lock his gate. (no number to call, I don't even think I had signal) I had no choice to break the lock because obviously I could not backtrack.

Shit happens. We all deal with it.

If the authorities don't even know which of the smaller roads are still public roads, how would you be so sure whether it is when you get to a locked gate? Break the lock, but be ready for action if it proved to be a private road. Then you tresspass and you cannot even plead ignorance as you broke the lock to gain entry. Be my guest.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline 1190

« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2016, 12:04:57 pm »
Those complaining about the farmers and their gates should rather appreciate the fact that they don't set up a toll booth at each!   >:D
I would gladly pay to have someone open a gate for me...When we used to ride in the Transkei some entrepreneur decided to charge us R5 to ride through he's piece of turf (just as you turn down after trennerys) only problem was after the first 10 bikes went through he went to the shebeen so the next lot never paid :imaposer: :imaposer:
Smith & Wesson the original point and click interface

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2016, 12:06:46 pm »
The areas I ride tend to have gates, mostly open and if closed they arent locked. If I see another car or person I usually stop and make sure if I am welcome in the area. If I see a locked gate in my area I turn around. If it is on a public road and I cannot turn around due to fuel I would break the lock and try and find the farmer to explain, if this is difficult I would leave a note with my number and maybe a few bucks. If this is a long ways from towns I will keep in mind that a new lock is not just around the corner and buying a new one can take a few hours from remote places.

If I knew I could face locked gates in a remote area I would perhaps take a lock or two with if I need to break one I can leave a new lock there with the keys in it. Or if I can find the farmer take the keys to him. The guy may understand especially if you leave him a nice solid lock.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2016, 12:16:02 pm »
Some observation -

You can keep mocking the effectiveness of locked gates, but in actual fact you only advertise your ignorance. Believe me, it works.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2016, 12:42:12 pm »
Bie, for the sake of clarity please give some info on what you expect people must do when arrive at a locked gate over a public road.
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2016, 12:47:58 pm »
If they can confirm it is in fact still a proclaimed road and there is no way to contact the landowner or neighbour and turning back is not an option, break the lock and continue. Just remember, if you are not sure whether it is in fact a proclaimed road, and you break the lock on a private road, it amounts to me coming to your house and breaking open your front door. Not sure you would be happy about that, not so?
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2016, 12:49:41 pm »
If they can confirm it is in fact still a proclaimed road and there is no way to contact the landowner or neighbour and turning back is not an option, break the lock and continue. Just remember, if you are not sure whether it is in fact a proclaimed road, and you break the lock on a private road, it amounts to me coming to your house and breaking open your front door. Not sure you would be happy about that, not so?
ok so if someone could prove to you that the road is legitimate would you undo your gate and fencing?
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - current

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2016, 12:51:58 pm »
There is no way that the gate and fencing is illegitimate. The fact that the gate might be locked is under dispute.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2016, 12:53:59 pm »
but i was asking is if it came to light that they found some map and it was intended to be a public road would you then remove your gate lock?
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - current

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2016, 12:56:48 pm »
I reckon you guys are being very shortsighted. Rather be aware af the farmers plight and take a different route? Is this the norm for our country to be "onverdraagsaam"??? Faaak guys, it is difficult enough being a farmer in SA. Cut the guys some slack here :thumleft: :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2016, 12:57:33 pm »
No I wont. Still cheaper to pay the R1000 fine for locking the gate, but my livestock and equipment is relatively safe.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2016, 12:58:01 pm »
No I wont. Still cheaper to pay the R1000 fine for locking the gate, but my livestock and equipment is relatively safe.

:thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline meteldog

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Alive and kicking
    • Tankwa Biking
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2016, 01:01:10 pm »
A question for the farmers: Would you object if I cut the chain and added a new lock of my own for the next time I come along?

Probably the best compromise if farmers have had to resort locking gates that they should not be entitled to lock out of sheer frustration and fear. You can pick up a pack of locks that all use the same key fairly cheaply, cut the chain not the lock. If the farmer is uncomfortable with the additional lock on his chain, I guess he could always fill the lock with Pratleys or something.

Its frustrating to find locked gates on proclaimed roads that come up on SA Street Maps (not Track4Africa), sometimes backtracking may not an option..
Cathsseta certified National Adventure Guide (WC9703)
it's all about the journey, not the destination
http://www.advbike.co.za
http://www.facebook.com/groups/111787138904704/

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2016, 01:01:29 pm »

:thumleft:

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2016, 01:03:08 pm »
fair enough then, but in taking that stance you cannot complain should someone remove lock, close gate and pass through? right? i feel this whole discussion was mute to begin with.
Bike history: