Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Farmers closing roads  (Read 30445 times)

Offline Andre E

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • McDonalds Accommodation, Queenstown
Re: Farmers closing roads
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2016, 01:03:46 pm »
For fucks sakes, chaps! How often do you guys battle with locked gates on public roads. The only disputes I have ever seen about gated roads are normally between farmers themselves.
Don't be kak, be lekker.
What is this life, if full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2016, 01:04:03 pm »
Ok so this seems to be a case of people arguing past each other.

I think what myself, Bie and others from the farmer camp is referring to are roads like this, mostly unused and very off the beaten track

This road runs from Naude's Nek to Tiffindel via Cairntoul along the Lesotho border, is unfenced most of the way and has had locked gates at times (still does sometimes). It crosses many farms and this area has previously seen probably some of the worst stock theft in the country, thankfully now under control.

vs

Get the point?

*images shamelessly stolen of internet

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:04:58 pm by Kortbroek »
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2016, 01:06:00 pm »
For fucks sakes, chaps! How often do you guys battle with locked gates on public roads. The only disputes I have ever seen about gated roads are normally between farmers themselves.
another fair point, only 3 times every third year. doesnt make it any less irritating.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline heinzz

« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2016, 01:07:18 pm »
I have been at both ends of this stick but have never broken a lock on a closed gate

Just for clarity, don't accept that all roads indicated on certain maps and or a GPS are all public roads or a servitude.

I have a used to be road that goes through my farm that has never been a public road nor registered as a servitude but were mainly used by neighboring farmers many years ago by permission of the land owner at the time. This road appears on the GPS maps but is private property.

Offline Chris_M

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • Munton Vibratory Technology Pty Ltd
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2016, 01:07:33 pm »
There is a neat video clip on youtube that illustrates how to pop a lock with two spanners.

Offline Chris_M

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • Munton Vibratory Technology Pty Ltd
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2016, 01:10:15 pm »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2016, 01:14:00 pm »

I think what myself, Bie and others from the farmer camp is referring to are roads like this, mostly unused and very off the beaten track

This road runs from Naude's Nek to Tiffindel via Cairntoul along the Lesotho border, is unfenced most of the way and has had locked gates at times (still does sometimes). It crosses many farms and this area has previously seen probably some of the worst stock theft in the country, thankfully now under control.

vs

Get the point?

*images shamelessly stolen of internet

Point is......which of the two roads would I rather ride?? The top one of course!

Offline heinzz

« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2016, 01:19:20 pm »

We did that road a few weeks ago and it felt like we were intruding on private property.

Offline heinzz

« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2016, 01:21:29 pm »
There is a neat video clip on youtube that illustrates how to pop a lock with two spanners.

Same way they break the lock on your front gate to steal your bike or what ever.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:28:57 pm by heinzz »

Offline Scribble

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2016, 01:21:36 pm »

We did that road a few weeks ago and it felt like we were intruding on private property.
Did you submit your request in triplicate timeously?
or break the locks ?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2016, 01:23:26 pm »
As mens jou roete volgens die inligting beskikbaar beplan het (maar besef dat dit dalk nie 100% korrek is nie) en dan by 'n hek kom wat gesluit is en te min brandstof het om te backtrack, is daar nie veel van 'n keuse nie.

In so geval, sou jy die slot breek:
- Sorg dat jy 'n ander slot of kontant het om te vergoed vir die skade
- Probeer ten minste die grond eienaar inlig indien moontlik
- Hoop en bid die boer is 'n redelike mens en ly nie aan Pistotis (i.e Pistorius sindroom) nie, geen deur of hek gaan jou lewe red nie.

Probeer maar self redelik wees en jouself in die ander party sy posisie sien.

As ek by 'n hek kom wat gesluit is sal my eerst keuse wees om te kyk of ek die boer in die hande kan kry en toestemming kry om aan te ry.
As dit nie werk nie sal ek eerder omdraai.
Laaste opsie is om die slot te breek.

In die verlede was daar ook gevalle van mense wat drade knip of platdruk omdat hekke met moerse slotte gesluit is, dan moet jy maar jou pakslae vat as dit gebeur...

Offline heinzz

« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2016, 01:25:14 pm »

Did you submit your request in triplicate timeously?
or break the locks ?

No, just opened and closed the gates that were closed.  :thumleft:

Offline heinzz

« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2016, 01:28:09 pm »
As mens jou roete volgens die inligting beskikbaar beplan het (maar besef dat dit dalk nie 100% korrek is nie) en dan by 'n hek kom wat gesluit is en te min brandstof het om te backtrack, is daar nie veel van 'n keuse nie.

In so geval, sou jy die slot breek:
- Sorg dat jy 'n ander slot of kontant het om te vergoed vir die skade
- Probeer ten minste die grond eienaar inlig indien moontlik
- Hoop en bid die boer is 'n redelike mens en ly nie aan Pistotis (i.e Pistorius sindroom) nie, geen deur of hek gaan jou lewe red nie.

Probeer maar self redelik wees en jouself in die ander party sy posisie sien.

As ek by 'n hek kom wat gesluit is sal my eerst keuse wees om te kyk of ek die boer in die hande kan kry en toestemming kry om aan te ry.
As dit nie werk nie sal ek eerder omdraai.
Laaste opsie is om die slot te breek.

In die verlede was daar ook gevalle van mense wat drade knip of platdruk omdat hekke met moerse slotte gesluit is, dan moet jy maar jou pakslae vat as dit gebeur...

Dit is presies waaroor dit gaan, en as dit moet, sal die boere 99% van die tyd uithelp.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2016, 01:30:39 pm »
No I wont. Still cheaper to pay the R1000 fine for locking the gate, but my livestock and equipment is relatively safe.
fair enough then, but in taking that stance you cannot complain should someone remove lock, close gate and pass through? right? i feel this whole discussion was mute to begin with.

Did you mean moot?  If so, I disagree.  I thought I learned a lot and also saw two sides to a complex story.  More interesting than I originally thought it would be.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:35:39 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2016, 01:37:41 pm »
I have been at both ends of this stick but have never broken a lock on a closed gate

Just for clarity, don't accept that all roads indicated on certain maps and or a GPS are all public roads or a servitude.

I have a used to be road that goes through my farm that has never been a public road nor registered as a servitude but were mainly used by neighboring farmers many years ago by permission of the land owner at the time. This road appears on the GPS maps but is private property.

Indeed and there are many of those.  Check the map I posted earlier.  If GPS is to be believed, in that area, even the fire breaks are roads.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Frog

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2016, 01:39:57 pm »
For me there is a big difference between a closed gate and a locked gate
If it is a public road and the farmer needs to keep his livestock enclosed I am more than happy to spend the day opening and closing gates.
But after doing so for a few hours and then, without warning, suddenly finding a locked one is a different story
Triumph Thuxton R
Triumph Bonneville T120
KTM 990R
KTM 990 Adventure (sold), BMW 650 Xchallenge (sold)
BMW 1200GSA (sold)

Online Bie

• Local Mods
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2016, 01:42:44 pm »
No I wont. Still cheaper to pay the R1000 fine for locking the gate, but my livestock and equipment is relatively safe.
fair enough then, but in taking that stance you cannot complain should someone remove lock, close gate and pass through? right? i feel this whole discussion was mute to begin with.

How would that "someone" without a doubt know it is a public road which will entitle him to break the lock? If I as landowner could not even determine that at the roads department, he surely runs a great risk of breaking and entering or trespassing if that gate was legally locked. Like I said, How would you feel if I break down your front door?
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline 1190

« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2016, 01:48:28 pm »

Did you mean moot?  If so, I disagree.  I thought I learned a lot and also saw two sides to a complex story.  More interesting than I originally thought it would be.
Can't say I learned much except that people still think that, breaking the law to suit themselves is justifiable......and that's nothing new in South Africa.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:50:00 pm by 1190 »
Smith & Wesson the original point and click interface

Online Bie

• Local Mods
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2016, 02:03:22 pm »
I learned the same thing. Without proof of whether a road is private or not some feel entitled to simply break a lock and enter. But again, like you say, nothing new in SA
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2016, 02:04:40 pm »

From Naude's nek to the police post at Cairntoul is a public road (I think), beyond that I believe it may be private or servitude. It was initially built for the police to patrol the border and for farmers to access their land. Roads like the volunteershoek pass from Wartrail to Tiffindell was also build by the farmers and is actually a private road. The pass up Carlisleshoek from Rhodes to Tiffindel another grey area as its only maintenance is done by Tiffindell and local farmers.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!