Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Farmers closing roads  (Read 28720 times)

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Re: Farmers closing roads
« Reply #241 on: July 29, 2016, 12:10:25 pm »
no fancy game, just some sheep, and tollies, that are only in the locked gate camp in the day periodically.
 something else  ???
Jy was klaarblyklik nog nooit op 'n plaas om te sien hoe dinge werk nie? of hoe? :sip:

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein

Offline Matewis

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #243 on: July 29, 2016, 12:18:45 pm »
Watch out for the snow chasers....

https://www.ecr.co.za/news-sport/news/snow-chasers-cost-kzn-farmers-thousands-damages/

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Snow-tourists-leave-farmer-cold-20090717
It all boils down to an utter lack of respect for farmers. Period! :patch:

Ek sal wragtag fotos neem, die ou se nommerplaat trace en lekker gaan kamp opslaan op sy gras of sy elektriese drade by sy huis gaan knip. Ek sal wragtag 'n D9 vat en sy muur gaan platstoot en dan sien hoe hy daarvan hou. Dis soos iemand wat eerste keer op 'n plaas kom en die werf inkom teen 120km/h en 'n stofwolk van 'n myl lank.
“Don’t go where the path my lead…  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail…” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
https://kettingsaag.wordpress.com/
https://witvosblog.wordpress.com/

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #244 on: July 29, 2016, 12:33:50 pm »
Daar by verneukpan maak dit nie saak of jy die hekke almal weer mooi toegemaak het nie.
Oom Giel skel elke keer indien iemand dalk n hek oopgelos het.  :imaposer:
Die oom het n hart van goud so sy skel het nie baie byt in nie.
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #245 on: July 29, 2016, 12:56:23 pm »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline elandsrider

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #246 on: July 29, 2016, 05:39:03 pm »
no fancy game, just some sheep, and tollies, that are only in the locked gate camp in the day periodically.
 something else  ???
Jy was klaarblyklik nog nooit op 'n plaas om te sien hoe dinge werk nie? of hoe? :sip:
clearly  :patch:
check the picture below of how my neighbours lock the gate, myself and another locked out or in, whichever you prefer
I can understand a city slicker getting it wrong, but a farmer!

KLR 650, KDX 200, XTZ 750, XL 500

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #247 on: July 29, 2016, 05:56:20 pm »
 something else  ???
clearly  :patch:
check the picture below of how my neighbours lock the gate, myself and another locked out or in, whichever you prefer
I can understand a city slicker getting it wrong, but a farmer!

Apologies! I forgot, jy boer mos.  :o
Ek verstaan ook nie, mens wil mos nie diere laat rondloop waar hulle nie hoort nie. Self grootgeword op 'n plaas en my gat het gebrand as ek 'n hek vergeet het. :-(

Offline elandsrider

« Reply #248 on: July 29, 2016, 06:04:27 pm »
access to ones property should be convenient and safe
mine is neither - bunch of cnuts for neighbours unfortunately. good thing is that I don't have to go looking for my tools anymore or have some ahole borrowing pipe fittings and stuff. ;D
besides the absolute inconvenience constantly I live in paradise, and am very grateful for my environment

with the snow chasers I see a very definite business opportunity, open the gate , charge access and sell them snow :pot:

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #249 on: July 30, 2016, 01:13:51 am »
I live on a farm and our area has been having a rough time with break ins and robberies lately.

The guys walk in on foot cutting fences as they go, on the way out they also walk cutting other fences as they go. So the people in our area decided the best thing to do is to put boom gates on the roads and close it off to the general public.  ???

I suggested foot patrols and having observation points manned by us, the idea was not even considered. As a kid I would hide from the patrolling neighbors for fun. At night I saw them coming and walked about 5 meters off the road and sat down in the long grass, I was never seen. Now somehow they believe that driving around in your hilux with a green light on the roof does help.  I dont get these people.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline elandsrider

« Reply #250 on: July 30, 2016, 05:21:40 am »
I live on a farm and our area has been having a rough time with break ins and robberies lately.

The guys walk in on foot cutting fences as they go, on the way out they also walk cutting other fences as they go. So the people in our area decided the best thing to do is to put boom gates on the roads and close it off to the general public.  ???

I suggested foot patrols and having observation points manned by us, the idea was not even considered. As a kid I would hide from the patrolling neighbors for fun. At night I saw them coming and walked about 5 meters off the road and sat down in the long grass, I was never seen. Now somehow they believe that driving around in your hilux with a green light on the roof does help.  I dont get these people.
thats my point exactly...
they walk in or hijack you at the gate, load your bakkie and leave with it loaded.
 :xxbah:

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #251 on: July 30, 2016, 09:18:21 am »
they walk in or hijack you at the gate, load your bakkie and leave with it loaded.

The reason for the gates was explained, adequately imho, earlier in this thread. 
.#BRADICAL!

Offline elandsrider

« Reply #252 on: July 30, 2016, 07:42:24 pm »

The reason for the gates was explained, adequately imho, earlier in this thread. 

ja, spose it was, I missed the cdf and logic in the explanation, 'imho'   :xxbah: :xxbah: :xxbah:
I live near the gate retards and on the same roads. sorry bear, yho doesn't keep my road safe or convenient :dousing:

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #253 on: July 30, 2016, 08:25:47 pm »

ja, spose it was, I missed the cdf and logic in the explanation, 'imho'   :xxbah: :xxbah: :xxbah:
I live near the gate retards and on the same roads. sorry bear, yho doesn't keep my road safe or convenient :dousing:

Cool.  MHO is just that, one opinion.   :thumleft:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:27:38 pm by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline elandsrider

« Reply #254 on: July 30, 2016, 08:35:19 pm »
mine too! :thumleft:
just an opinion

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #255 on: July 31, 2016, 10:18:33 am »

For animals I understand, for safety its not in the least bit effective and it becomes a perfect hijacking opportunity for them.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Online Bie

• Local Mods
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
« Reply #256 on: July 31, 2016, 11:30:36 am »
Whether the gate is locked or not, whoever uses the road still needs to stop to open, so locking it does not contribute to a greater risk in that regard. Believe me, a locked gate is a deterrent, whether it is believed or not.

Same argument will apply to your house. Why bother locking your front door if a burgular can break a window or get inside in another way, yet it is a no-brainer that the door must be locked. You will never stop the guy who wants to get inside at all cost, but opportunity makes the thief if it is too easy.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline elandsrider

« Reply #257 on: July 31, 2016, 06:44:09 pm »
 ??? Doesnt make a difference what i say, gate as is , is a risk to safety
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 09:22:36 pm by elandsrider »

Online Bie

• Local Mods
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
« Reply #258 on: July 31, 2016, 07:14:02 pm »
We all live with gates as a normal part in our lives on farms. If anyone wants to ambush you they need not wait at a locked gate my friend. They can put a branch in the road, or a few rocks and force you to stop. Even when you stop and get out to open a normal gate you are a target and they will have more than enough time for their evil plans. The minute or two it takes to unlock the padlock will make no real difference. Yes, you can clear the areas around the gate of vegetation to make it safer.

You need to get out of your vehicle at some or other point in any case. Leave the gate open as it seems you currently prefer and they can drive right up to your house in no time where you also have to get out of your car. It is a no-brainer, a locked gate does help. Obviously a solar powered sliding gate with remote control will be safer, so rather get the neighbors on board with putting that up than antagonizing them about the locked gate.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.