Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Farmers closing roads  (Read 30140 times)

Offline heinzz

Re: Farmers closing roads
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2016, 02:05:47 pm »
I learned the same thing. Without proof of whether a road is private or not some feel entitled to simply break a lock and enter. But again, like you say, nothing new in SA

I call it an general attitude of entitlement.

Offline 1190

« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2016, 02:10:35 pm »
I learned the same thing. Without proof of whether a road is private or not some feel entitled to simply break a lock and enter. But again, like you say, nothing new in SA

If we were playing chess against each other i would call this one a stalemate..... :biggrin: :lol8: :biggrin:
Smith & Wesson the original point and click interface

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2016, 02:13:41 pm »
Did you submit your request in triplicate timeously?
or break the locks ?

Consider this, gates left open by passing motorists leads to say 500 sheep "wandering" into Lesotho. Loss of about R1 000 000 + .

People seem to grossly underestimate the challenges and risks associated with farming. One idiot leaving a gate open can lead to your financial ruin (worst case I know)

Also when "As far as I know" a proclaimed road turns into "private road", should the farmer sue you for trespassing and have you locked up? I am willing to bet 99.9% of farmers who lock gates will open them for you if you make the effort to ask, especially on roads that are grey areas.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2016, 02:14:51 pm »
 :imaposer: jaja spelling natzi's. MOOT then. dammit you knew what i meant.  :deal: no what i have learned in this as it doesn't matter, no one is willing to budge and will do what ever they feel suits them.  the end. while Bie i understand your predicament, and fully support you're right to protect yourself. with no one offering a solution or willing to budge an inch we must suffer the consequences.

if regular visitors knew of and about the gates no doubt they would either factor that into their trip or go around it. it must then be the guys exploring and coming across an unexpected gate. the farmers could help here with supplying information, or not. there is space for co-existing. well not if no one wants to do anything or meet in the middle.

bottom line, we cant avoid and be mindful of what we don't know about, i personally would be very mindful but only more so because i now know. although i was mindful before all this so horses for courses. you have to cater for the arseholes and the gautengers blasting through on their every 3rd year jaunt through the country.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:17:45 pm by dirtyXT »
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline TheBear

« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2016, 02:21:53 pm »
you have to cater for the arseholes and the gautengers blasting through on their every 3rd year jaunt through the country.

Are you saying everyone who is not a Gautenger is an arsehole?  Eina!  I doubt those Eastern Capies would agree.   :ricky:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2016, 02:23:56 pm »
My Driveway in Kyalami is registered on Google maps as a street thats never existed, we dotn have a lock on our gate, its just an motorised gate  :peepwall:
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2016, 02:35:40 pm »
you have to cater for the arseholes and the gautengers blasting through on their every 3rd year jaunt through the country.

Are you saying everyone who is not a Gautenger is an arsehole?  Eina!  I doubt those Eastern Capies would agree.   :ricky:
:imaposer: well I am both a PE boy and a Gautenger so i can throw things like that about.  :pot: :ricky:
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2016, 02:48:18 pm »
AFAIK:
You cannot legally put a gate across a road with a N (National) R (Provincial) or S (District Municipality) designation.
Those are the only roads over which we riders have general public right of access.
Any farmer along such road must fence his property along either side and prevent animals from getting onto the road.
If it is not N, R or S designated, then it is a private road and can be gated off.
Where a neighbour has a servitude to get access across another farm,
only the registered owner of the servitude has that right of access, not the general public.

e.g. ESCOM has registered servitude access to all land over which their powerlines run.
That doesn't mean you can ride the ESCOM servitude without the landowner's permission...!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:56:33 pm by Fudmucker »
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2016, 05:07:22 pm »
e.g. ESCOM has registered servitude access to all land over which their powerlines run.
That doesn't mean you can ride the ESCOM servitude without the landowner's permission...!

Eskom Meneer!  Eskom.  Has been since 1986.  (Sorry Wooly, but I couldn't help myself) 

There is no such a thing as ESCOM anymore.  It died.  It is dead like that well known Norwegian Blue.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Mapog

« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2016, 06:24:43 pm »
Hoe se hulle: Leef en laat leef.

Of loop eers n ent in n ander man se skoene voordat jy oordeel.

Net jammer ons leef so vir onself in die land....?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2016, 06:47:20 pm »
My ryplek in die onmiddelike omgewing van Stellenbosch, het n transformasie ondergaan met die koop van grond deur buitelanders, wat dan onmiddelik n elektriese heining om sy grond span.

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Forum Whore
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2016, 06:53:52 pm »
Captain Obvious, how often has this happened to you in your life? Once, twice, 3 times maybe? Look at the bigger picture and TTFU man.

Unless you were a farmer who has suffered stock loss, poaching, farm murders or theft, you wouldn't really understand. If you are determined to ride on a certain road, do some homework and find out who the owners are and get permission. I bet most would be more than obliging. Remember that not all the people who use the road that offended you so much have intentions as honest and transparent as yours. The gate was obviously locked for a reason.
The gate is locked because some proes straat pretoria comes down there ata moerova speed and leaves the thefucken thing open.

The next time you bite into a nice juicy chop from the braai.....  remember to thank the farmer.

A really good mate of mne is a farmer and locks gats. If you knwe the finantial losses he has due to stock theft you would puke.

captain Obvious......  WTFU.  one little locked gate and a small in      conviniance for you might just save a life and hundreds of thousands of rands.
Jasaas weet jy, fokkken town clowns.

rant off
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2016, 07:06:33 pm »
Farmers lock everything up,far better for you ,your stock and security and safety...living in a war zone these days.
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Forum Whore
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2016, 07:08:29 pm »
I said I was done with this but Lakey has prompted a reply

My advice to you next time you find a rider illegally on a public road, swear profusely, beat him up properly and then shoot him, preferably in the kneecap. This will teach the city boy a lesson he sorely needs.

After all might is right and violence justified, it is the way of the farmer.

I am now done with this discussion

ek stap in......  Maak kak en loop uit.

I am with lakey on this one. i have been on patrol on his farm and found gates opened by someone that has cut the lock
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2016, 07:10:49 pm »
This excuse of stock theft I find a bit far-fetched.

If I wanted to steal some sheep, would I not break a lock? Or cut your fence, or push it flat?

Offline TheBear

« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2016, 07:20:32 pm »

If I wanted to steal some sheep, would I not break a lock? Or cut your fence, or push it flat?

It is not about that Danie.  Of course a criminal will just break the lock.  This has been discussed higher up.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Lakey

« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2016, 07:21:50 pm »
I said I was done with this but Lakey has prompted a reply

My advice to you next time you find a rider illegally on a public road, swear profusely, beat him up properly and then shoot him, preferably in the kneecap. This will teach the city boy a lesson he sorely needs.

After all might is right and violence justified, it is the way og the farmer.

I am now done with this discussion

Perhaps you could have pointed him to your later responses as he clearly did not read them prior to posting?

I read his other posts. They just pissed me off more.
It is not about the locked gates as much as his OBVIOUS arrogance and sense of entitlement to go where he pleases without a thought to others. This oke doesnt pay towards the road repair or give a shit about my patrolling at night but about his right to ride though peoples farms not for any reason but for pleasure. If it was an emergency it would be a different issue altogether.

I hope you, Captain Obvious, dont one day need to knock on a farmers door for help in the middle of nowhere and the farmer beats up as that is what they do in your opinion.
Oh. And please dont eat anything that comes from a farm. Your support isnt needed

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:16:23 pm by Lakey »

Offline TheBear

« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2016, 07:38:09 pm »
I hope you dont one day need to knock on a farmers door for help in the middle of nowhere and the farmer beats up as that is what they do in your opinion.
Oh. And please dont eat anything that comes from a farm. Your support isnt needed

Listen dude!  Are you sure you are reading the other posts?  Really sure?  Reading with comprehension?  

You just kakked all over me, but let me help you.  This is what I have said in this thread.

Think about the other side of the coin.  Gates left open.  On many farms this can and have led to expensive damage.  I know my uncle locks gates these days, because of damaged suffered due to a gate left open.

and

Did you know that if Mr A comes down the road and hits Mr. B's cow who is dawdling across the road, Mr B is responsible even if Mr. C left the gate open?

and

PS, remember you break locks at your own risk, so rather don't do it if you are not strong or fast.  ;)

He also robs a farmer and a farmer community of security that they thought they had.  

and

So do farm murderers and stock thieves turn around at a locked gate?

No they don't, but ....
.... when being chased by the local SAPS, local Farmer's Safety Group, etc. they can get trapped in an area.  
..... good locks indicate something to the patrols.  Broken locks something else.
.... unlocked gates can be left open.  My cattle walks through and chows your crops.

The list goes on.  

and

At this point I feel the farmer is acting illegally, but also understand the concerns raised by farmers in this thread. As to the solution I have no idea.

It is indeed a conundrum.  One I didn't understand until I saw the issue on my uncles farm in real life.  It is aggravated by the modern maps we have.   It shows pretty much all roads and do not differentiate between private and public.  See pic below.  This is the area of my uncle's farm.  The bits I did in blue is public roads.  The rest are private.  No way to see that on the Garmap version I am using.  Some of those private roads are in a much better condition than the public roads as well.

and

Also, if a farmer do confront you don't be harregat about it.

There are more.

You really should read with more comprehension.   You treat someone on your side like this, I can only wonder how you treat those who differ from you.  

Blixum!  If I ever need help in your area, I rather crawl 1000 miles, on my hands and knees, naked, for help from an armed robber.  

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:43:36 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline elandsrider

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2016, 07:38:55 pm »
Lots of pages here and ive read some of them
I live on a plot of some 80 hectares. The road to my little plot is on a public road frequented by some additional maplotters an their families. 6 including a poultry business.
The front gate is locked. I put my own combination lock on to have the ease of allowing my guests access. This was frequently bypassed by the maplotters essentially locking me out. To the point where i complained to the farmers arseotiation, fire department , roads department , police, trzffic department and every other aresociation i could think of without success, including our esteemed local councillor at the time. The police told me to pull the pole out the ground or cut the lock. Every time i went thru.
I have added bits of chain that make it easier for the plotters to keep my lock separate but easier for my guests it seems to lock them out.
When you have something valuable they will come fetch it, lock or no lock on a 1.2m fence line. An when you place the locked gate at a choke point so much easier to jump you at the locked gate, drive your bakkie to your house load it up, beat the shit out of you, rape your wife and fuckoff in your bakkie with all your stuff.
These gates on my road are locked by ex servicemen and women and current police people. Makes me think wtf is going on apart from the stupidity of locking up a public road.
KLR 650, KDX 200, XTZ 750, XL 500

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
« Reply #159 on: May 17, 2016, 07:39:33 pm »

Believe me, it makes a difference. Criminals are like water, they run on the easiest spots first. They will avoid locked farms, believe me. We all know they can break a lock, but it rarely happens.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.