Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Farmers closing roads  (Read 30656 times)

Offline Lakey

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Farmers closing roads
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2016, 07:48:05 pm »
Bear
Sorry if you think I kakked all over you
It wasn't directed at you but used your post where you thought that I hadn't read COs posts
You will notice that I said i HAD READ HIS POSTS
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:51:17 pm by Lakey »

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2016, 07:54:40 pm »
Bear
Sorry if you think I kakked all over you
It wasn't directed at you but used your post where you thought that I hadn't read COs posts
You will notice that I said i HAD READ HIS POSTS

Some advice. Avoid talking to two people in the same post without using their names in future.

Anyway ...   :thumleft:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Lakey

« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2016, 07:58:20 pm »
I agree. therefore I suggest you go back and read your quote( 3rd last on page 5) that I copied with HIs and then read mine
It will put it into context for you
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:03:34 pm by Lakey »

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2016, 08:04:23 pm »
I agree. therefore I suggest you go back and read your quote that I copied with HIs and then read mine
It will put it into context for you

Well, if you insist, here it is.

I said I was done with this but Lakey has prompted a reply

My advice to you next time you find a rider illegally on a public road, swear profusely, beat him up properly and then shoot him, preferably in the kneecap. This will teach the city boy a lesson he sorely needs.

After all might is right and violence justified, it is the way og the farmer.

I am now done with this discussion

Perhaps you could have pointed him to your later responses as he clearly did not read them prior to posting?

I read his other posts. They just pissed me off more.
It is not about the locked gates as much as his OBVIOUS arrogance and sense of entitlement to go where he pleases without a thought to others. This oke doesnt pay towards the road repair or give a shit about my patrolling at night but about his right to ride though peoples farms not for any reason but for pleasure. If it was an emergency it would be a different issue altogether.

I hope you dont one day need to knock on a farmers door for help in the middle of nowhere and the farmer beats up as that is what they do in your opinion.
Oh. And please dont eat anything that comes from a farm. Your support isnt needed

Blue text, you are clearly talking to me.  Red text, the reader must somehow figure you have now stopped talking to me, but have started talking to to Capt Obvious?  How?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:05:26 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Lakey

« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2016, 08:18:05 pm »

My advice to you next time you find a rider illegally on a public road, swear profusely, beat him up properly and then shoot him, preferably in the kneecap. This will teach the city boy a lesson he sorely needs.

Perhaps you could have pointed him to your later responses as he clearly did not read them prior to posting?

It is not about the locked gates as much as his OBVIOUS arrogance and sense of entitlement to go where he pleases without a thought to others. This oke doesnt pay towards the road repair or give a shit about my patrolling at night but about his right to ride though peoples farms not for any reason but for pleasure. If it was an emergency it would be a different issue altogether.

I hope you, Captain Obvious, dont one day need to knock on a farmers door for help in the middle of nowhere and the farmer beats up as that is what they do in your opinion.
Oh. And please C O dont eat anything that comes from a farm. Your support isnt needed

I have rectified my error Bear

Offline JC

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2016, 08:23:44 pm »
Captain Obvious, how often has this happened to you in your life? Once, twice, 3 times maybe? Look at the bigger picture and TTFU man.

Unless you were a farmer who has suffered stock loss, poaching, farm murders or theft, you wouldn't really understand. If you are determined to ride on a certain road, do some homework and find out who the owners are and get permission. I bet most would be more than obliging. Remember that not all the people who use the road that offended you so much have intentions as honest and transparent as yours. The gate was obviously locked for a reason.
The gate is locked because some proes straat pretoria comes down there ata moerova speed and leaves the thefucken thing open.

The next time you bite into a nice juicy chop from the braai.....  remember to thank the farmer.

A really good mate of mne is a farmer and locks gats. If you knwe the finantial losses he has due to stock theft you would puke.

captain Obvious......  WTFU.  one little locked gate and a small in      conviniance for you might just save a life and hundreds of thousands of rands.
Jasaas weet jy, fokkken town clowns.

rant off

is daai nie jou target market nie  ???

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2016, 08:31:32 pm »

I hope you, Captain Obvious, dont one day need to knock on a farmers door for help in the middle of nowhere and the farmer beats up as that is what they do in your opinion.
Oh. And please C O dont eat anything that comes from a farm. Your support isnt needed

I have rectified my error Bear

:thumleft:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Scribble

• RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2016, 08:38:24 pm »
Did you submit your request in triplicate timeously?
or break the locks ?

Consider this, gates left open by passing motorists leads to say 500 sheep "wandering" into Lesotho. Loss of about R1 000 000 + .

People seem to grossly underestimate the challenges and risks associated with farming. One idiot leaving a gate open can lead to your financial ruin (worst case I know)
I assure not many people take the gate thing as seriously as I do you can ask the guys I ride with
And mostly because it feels like I'm only riding that route by the good graces of the land owner and am very aware of the fact that every time I ride through a place like that may be the last because some less conscientious rider didn't leave the gates as they were found and pissed the landowner off .
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline masehare

« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2016, 08:49:15 pm »

Oh. And please dont eat anything that comes from a farm. Your support isnt needed

So see it from the other side as well. I see the highlighted statement as hypocritical if you lock a gate on a public road. And before you blow your top, note that the original post referred to a locked gate on a public road, nothing else.
Profile for wepenerc100

take me down to the Salt Lake City where there’s salt and lakes and the lakes are salty

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2016, 10:21:15 pm »

:biggrin: :biggrin: ::)

Guys, I think the two points of view have been clearly made.

Let's suck it up in the WD fashion and give them farmers a break. There's anger, frustration and a sense of entitlement on all sides, we ought to remember that a lot of farmers are SERIOUSLY SUFFERING thanks to the criminals.

I reckon the famers who choose to lock a gate here and there should be cut a bit of slack on this one given that its not our livelihoods, our livestock, our investments or our lives that are at stake when we choose to go riding along one road or another. For them it is all of these.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:22:10 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline 1190

« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2016, 06:55:44 am »
Guys, I think the two points of view have been clearly made.

Let's suck it up in the WD fashion and give them farmers a break. There's anger, frustration and a sense of entitlement on all sides, we ought to remember that a lot of farmers are SERIOUSLY SUFFERING thanks to the criminals.

I reckon the famers who choose to lock a gate here and there should be cut a bit of slack on this one given that its not our livelihoods, our livestock, our investments or our lives that are at stake when we choose to go riding along one road or another. For them it is all of these.

:thumleft: :thumleft:
Smith & Wesson the original point and click interface

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2016, 06:59:46 am »
There are no two sides to this debate. Its simple.

If its a public road, you dont have the right to lock the gate - period.  Public roads are numbered, have road signs etc.  yes there may be some uncertainty. If you are uncertain, err to the side of caution.

If you need to protect R1m of livestock, rather put them in a camp which is not serviced via a gate to a public road. Thats what everyone else is doing.  Or do as we in the city do, we spend money to enfence our valuables.

If its a private road, and there is confusion. Put a sign up to remove all doubt.

If there are unlocked gates across public roads, dont be a d@@s - close the gates behind you.  There is a reason for this.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2016, 07:04:07 am »
If its a private road, and there is confusion. Put a sign up to remove all doubt.

I have yet to see a Sunday off-roader (duallie, quad, plastic) to give a rat's arse about such a sign.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2016, 07:07:51 am »

I have yet to see a Sunday off-roader (duallie, quad, plastic) to give a rat's arse about such a sign.

Then he must kak.  Dont try to fuck up the principle of law/rule by using an criminal example.  Using a sign post is more than adequete in most cases in a court to proof such a fuck face was trespassing .

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2016, 07:14:25 am »

I will send you a picture of myself.   :thumleft:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #175 on: May 18, 2016, 07:21:50 am »

I will send you a picture of myself.   :thumleft:

Exactly, by far the majority will respect this sign. You are trying to proof the rule by using the exception

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2016, 07:27:44 am »

Hier by ons gebeur dit baie, heelwat mense het nog respek vir ander.

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2016, 08:17:19 am »
There are no two sides to this debate. Its simple.

If its a public road, you dont have the right to lock the gate - period.  Public roads are numbered, have road signs etc.  yes there may be some uncertainty. If you are uncertain, err to the side of caution.

If you need to protect R1m of livestock, rather put them in a camp which is not serviced via a gate to a public road. Thats what everyone else is doing.  Or do as we in the city do, we spend money to enfence our valuables.

If there are unlocked gates across public roads, dont be a d@@s - close the gates behind you.  There is a reason for this.

Personally I do not know about any numbered road that have locked gates in this area. The roads we are talking about are indicated in broken line on Mapsource and Basecamp, no numbers what so ever. Some of these roads are also private roads, made by the landowners (veldpaadjies), but in some or other way they pick up on some of these roads and list them on their maps. Likewise, I pushed a dam some 5 years ago and that was never listed nor registered anywhere, yet it now appears on Google maps. This tells me they too get some of their information off satellite images and I suppose the same happens with roads. Every Tom Dick and Harry then assumes all roads listed on these devises are public roads, which they are not. Also as stated above, the roads department has done away with many of these smaller disused roads to free them of the maintenance burden, yet there is no proper record of which roads are still valid. The last time the road over my farm was graded was in August 1983 when my Father had the road graded as there was a funeral at the family graveyard and normal cars also had to have access. Never thereafter and not even about 10+ years prior to that was the road ever graded, so how can that still be regarded as a public road.
On the point of moving your livestock to a camp not serviced by gates is ludicrous. On some farms that will mean they cannot use any of the camps without fencing off the road. The cost of fencing off a road is not for the account of the landowner but for the Dept of roads and transport and it only applies to roads carrying a certain amount of traffic per day. We are talking about roads carrying 5 or less vehicles a year, so that kite will never fly. If the fencing bill is moved over to the landowner it will mean ( in my particular case) a fencing bill of R640 000 just to make it possible to use my farm, which was used as is since whenever.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Online TT

« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2016, 08:31:18 am »
I think some of the farmers here miss the point.

Not a single poster don't agree that a locked gate does not have any security (or farming) benefits. However since the locked gate is still a public road the onus are on the person who locked the gate to provide information to any would be user.

How would you know if it is actually a public road? Because it shows on your Garmin maps? If I get to a road with closed gates, I cannot just assume it is a public road and continue, it might mean landing in situations which could have been avoided.

As stated before, roads get closed for a reason, mostly for security reasons, so if you cut the lock and proceed, how would you feel to read about an attack on that farm just after you have cut the locks? Maybe feel like an accessory to a farm attack? The would be criminals use these roads before the time to plan their attacks as they can sit undisturbed (no other vehicles on the road) and observe the farm activity before the time. So, if a farmer has the gate locked and notices a vehicle or people on the road, he will be alerted and investigate, however if there is no locked gate, he cannot really approach the people and enquire about their intentions.

Offline Sandban(g)k

• Bultfontein
« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2016, 08:33:34 am »
You are selfish Bie. Why dont you pay that R640 000 to fence your farm, so that maybe, just maybe one of the 10 guys coming past in the next 20 years don't understand your situation. The other 9 might turn around or might even cost you a cup of coffee, and even some biltong or ouma beskuit. That would make it R 640 100.

You farmers are full of money and according to this thread also full of shit   >:D

And stupid. How could you not know that road is public? I mean, if I can get there with my garmin, it MUST be public.

I will also try my best to remember to close the gate, except if you have too many and Im tired. If I forget, please just understand my situation and get your 10 farm workers and border collie to get your sheep back into the camps.

Just to be clear, is it okay if I camp there for a day or three? I dont want to be in your way? And is it pet friendly? I have a pitbull and a boerboel who just love the outdoors. They get so excited they sometimes get lost for a whole day. At least they make their own plan in terms of food.

I am sure you will understand Bie? If you dont, its okay, I know you country folk are not that clever, I will bring a letter from my attourney stating that I have rights too.