Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Farmers closing roads  (Read 30473 times)

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
Re: Re: Farmers closing roads
« Reply #180 on: May 18, 2016, 08:39:04 am »

:biggrin: :biggrin: ::)

Guys, I think the two points of view have been clearly made.

Let's suck it up in the WD fashion and give them farmers a break. There's anger, frustration and a sense of entitlement on all sides, we ought to remember that a lot of farmers are SERIOUSLY SUFFERING thanks to the criminals.

I reckon the famers who choose to lock a gate here and there should be cut a bit of slack on this one given that its not our livelihoods, our livestock, our investments or our lives that are at stake when we choose to go riding along one road or another. For them it is all of these.
Wise words

Orange Elephant Backpackers, Addo
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Online Bie

• Local Mods
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
Re: Farmers closing roads
« Reply #181 on: May 18, 2016, 08:40:52 am »
Go for it Sandbank, enjoy!!   ;D

Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #182 on: May 18, 2016, 08:47:57 am »
Is hierdie nou soos die Pizza man op sy Scooter thread wat net nie wil einde kry nie  :peepwall:

Maak n video en gooi dit op Youtube man  :imaposer:

Offline Andre E

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • McDonalds Accommodation, Queenstown
« Reply #183 on: May 18, 2016, 08:50:13 am »
Is hierdie nou soos die Pizza man op sy Scooter thread wat net nie wil einde kry nie  :peepwall:

Een van 'n ou wat slotte breek?
Don't be kak, be lekker.
What is this life, if full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #184 on: May 18, 2016, 08:50:35 am »
If its a private road, and there is confusion. Put a sign up to remove all doubt.

I have yet to see a Sunday off-roader (duallie, quad, plastic) to give a rat's arse about such a sign.

I will send you a picture of myself.   :thumleft:

Exactly, by far the majority will respect this sign. You are trying to proof the rule by using the exception

Actually, I am not trying to prove anything.   I just made a statement. 
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #185 on: May 18, 2016, 08:52:08 am »
If its a private road, and there is confusion. Put a sign up to remove all doubt.

I have yet to see a Sunday off-roader (duallie, quad, plastic) to give a rat's arse about such a sign.

I will send you a picture of myself.   :thumleft:

Not wanting to sound ungrateful, but I would accept a picture of any female from a 100 mile radius as prove positive.  Not that I think you are ugly or anything .......   :peepwall:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online Bie

• Local Mods
« Reply #186 on: May 18, 2016, 08:53:34 am »
This excuse of stock theft I find a bit far-fetched.

If I wanted to steal some sheep, would I not break a lock? Or cut your fence, or push it flat?

I think some of the farmers here miss the point.

Not a single poster don't agree that a locked gate does not have any security (or farming) benefits. However since the locked gate is still a public road the onus are on the person who locked the gate to provide information to any would be user.

Tell my guys, do you lock your homes and or businesses? If so, and going by your reasoning above, why do you lock it? If someone wants to gain entry to your house or business, will he not simply break a window or door lock? That would defeat the object of locking it, not so? Same thing happens to our locked gate, but it seems your thoughts are it adds no additional security. Why in your case do you then lock yours?
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2016, 08:57:47 am »
If you on a dirt road that has not been traveled on in a very long time, and you can see that, and you get to a locked gate, ask yourself, What the fuck am I doing here? Am I suppose to be here?

Then turn around and leave  >:D   >:D

Nobody will put a fence or gate over a dirt road being used every single day. End of story.

Online Bie

• Local Mods
« Reply #188 on: May 18, 2016, 09:01:40 am »
If you on a dirt road that has not been traveled on in a very long time, and you can see that, and you get to a locked gate, ask yourself, What the fuck am I doing here? Am I suppose to be here?

Then turn around and leave  >:D   >:D

Nobody will put a fence or gate over a dirt road being used every single day. End of story.

Agreed
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Online Sandban(g)k

• Bultfontein
« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2016, 09:04:55 am »
Go for it Sandbank, enjoy!!   ;D

Thanks  :biggrin: just to make sure, how long must I camp before I can claim a piece of land?  :peepwall:

Hijack off

Manic, that  was well said.  :thumleft:

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2016, 09:05:11 am »

If I wanted to steal some sheep, would I not break a lock? Or cut your fence, or push it flat?

Not a single poster don't agree that a locked gate does not have any security (or farming) benefits. However since the locked gate is still a public road the onus are on the person who locked the gate to provide information to any would be user.

Tell my guys, do you lock your homes and or businesses? If so, and going by your reasoning above, why do you lock it? If someone wants to gain entry to your house or business, will he not simply break a window or door lock? That would defeat the object of locking it, not so? Same thing happens to our locked gate, but it seems your thoughts are it adds no additional security. Why in your case do you then lock yours?

I absolutely lock my door and my gate.  But thats is not the point now is it?  I dont lock the public road leading to or through my property.  My ownership ends at the boundary of my yard.  People have dne this through boomed off areas through a legal process.  Its not a case of one day unilaterally deciding fark that, im closing this public road - ITS NOT YOURS.  Julius must also learn this...

Simple really - if its public, you have no right to lock a gate, if its private, nobody has the right to trespass. To avoid confusion put up a sign.  If there is confusion about the nature of roads - consult your property deed, if things have changes or you want it changed - follow the legal process as city-dwellers do with boomed off areas.  

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2016, 09:08:44 am »
Servitude roads serving a few farms i treat as private.  You have no business there if you don't have business with one on the farms? 

Offline Swannie 685

« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2016, 09:33:29 am »
Soms kan die wiel ook draai. *

My buurman weier absoluut dat ek die serwitute pad wat voor my huis verbygaan deur sy grond,mag gebruik. Slegs een hek (nie gesluit nie) en die pad is alkante afgekamp. Ek het al mooi gevra ens,maar hy wil niks weet nie.

Sy rede is dat hy soms volstruise daar aanhou en hulle dan sal skrik vir my bike en in drade sal vashardloop. (al ry ek met die bakkie ook)

Nou moet ek deur DRIE bekslaner hekke gaan om die hoofpad te bereik.

* Dit het nou al twee keer gebeur dat buurman se koppelpype uitspring en dan heeldag slegs in die lug opspuit. Ongelukkig vir hom is my oŽ so sleg dat ek NIKS gesien het nie.  :thumleft:

Aangesien my blyplek nie aan my behoort nie, wil ek nie die legal eagles nog verder ryk maak en sodoende my landlord ook dalk die moer in  maak nie. ( Ek bly hoeka heeltemal verniet met water ingesluit.)

Soms kry mens seker maar sulke tipe mense ook.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:36:12 am by Swannie 685 »
Wanneer ek iets wil herstel, is dit heeltemal gef*k daarna.

Vorige bikes: Suzuki 50cc, Yamaha 185,Honda 250,Kawasaki Z650, Kawasaki Z1000, Honda CB900F en Suzuki DR500. Tans Kawasaki KLR 685

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2016, 10:33:43 am »

Een van 'n ou wat slotte breek?

:laughing4:
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2016, 10:58:36 am »
I've read the entire thread.  Seems to be a bit of agree to disagree. 
Mainly because there are exceptions to every goddamn situation in life.  Some roads seem private and gets locked by farmers,  Other roads seems public and the public feels justified in using it, even when a lock prevents access for whatever reason.

Here is my solution: 
On WD, we have a thread where we advise guesthouses, business, restaurants.  Go here, but don't go there.

Can we not start a thread where you point or co-ordinates to a locked gate.  Everybody can use it to do route planning.  Maybe post the number who to call when the gate is locked.
It could help to communicate with the farmer few days before you go through the area, and you can talk to him again before you lose signal.

My 5c, because this thread is not getting anybody closer to a solution so far.
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline Scribble

• RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2016, 11:25:15 am »
I've read the entire thread.  Seems to be a bit of agree to disagree. 
Mainly because there are exceptions to every goddamn situation in life.  Some roads seem private and gets locked by farmers,  Other roads seems public and the public feels justified in using it, even when a lock prevents access for whatever reason.

Here is my solution: 
On WD, we have a thread where we advise guesthouses, business, restaurants.  Go here, but don't go there.

Can we not start a thread where you point or co-ordinates to a locked gate.  Everybody can use it to do route planning.  Maybe post the number who to call when the gate is locked.
It could help to communicate with the farmer few days before you go through the area, and you can talk to him again before you lose signal.

I would imagine this has the potential to be an amicable solution but would suggest it gets put in Jou ma or some other place where non members could not see it.I imagine though its putting loads of info out there that may not be a good idea and also how tolerant will the farmers be of the phone calls ?
A way better option than just breaking locks and generally trespassing.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Online Bie

• Local Mods
« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2016, 11:26:22 am »
Better still Boer, make use of Tracks for Africa and let them know where you find a locked gate. They have a few indicated on their maps and can probably update it with called in info. I see none of the smaller roads that are locked in this area are even shown on T4A. It is those extremely small tweespoor type roads that are indicated on Garmin's Topo maps and Google maps that some simply assume are public roads that are problematic.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:33:32 am by Bie »
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2016, 12:18:46 pm »
Better still Boer, make use of Tracks for Africa and let them know where you find a locked gate. They have a few indicated on their maps and can probably update it with called in info. I see none of the smaller roads that are locked in this area are even shown on T4A. It is those extremely small tweespoor type roads that are indicated on Garmin's Topo maps and Google maps that some simply assume are public roads that are problematic.

Yip, this is part of the farmer's problem.

The old Garmin Streetmaps I found useful but the newer Garmin City Navigator has got too many private roads on and is just confusing. Suppose this will lead to more people wondering onto private land.

T4A is up to shit. Too many of the public roads are just not indicated on their maps. Fine if you want to go where everyone else have gone.

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2016, 12:25:54 pm »

Have tried that with one gate I came across but the interest in the thread was very low and no one could provide answers.
I remember Kamanya also posted about one gate and whether it was private or not and who to contact.

Then this thread where for some reason the Captain refuse to give details of the particular road and gates?

Would love a thread like that though.

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2016, 12:31:57 pm »

Partly imho because farmers have private roads or servitude roads on their own farms in the back of their minds when replying while city folk have other roads in the back of their minds.

I must say that I have never come across a locked gate on a road that I know for certain is a public road.
The locked gates that I did come across where normally in areas that I was uncertain if it is private or not and could turn around.