Introducing an Aussie to "Branna's & Coke"; "The Hel" and "Witblits" ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XRRX

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Nigel met an Aussie guy James a few days ago. He's from Perth and here for an aviation/flying course ... Nigel quickly realised James is interested in adventure biking too - having a 1150GSA; a XR400 and a TT600 back home!  :thumleft: So we hook-up for a trip to The Hel ... The only bike we could borrow for James was a puny little XR125, and some very basic bike clothing - including a "cheapskate" pair of dust goggles ...  ::)  :lol8:

We left George on Saturday afternoon at around 14:30, hoping to reach The Hel before dark - as Werner's 1200GS is apparently only fitted with some candles ...  :peepwall:
Montagu Pass went well, and we realised that James is not at all new to a bike!!!  :patch:
The gravel highways from there to Oudtshoorn was a bit SLOW with the 125, and in Oudtshoorn I insisted that we stop to teach James about "Branna's & Coke" ...  O0

We made our way to Swartberg Pass, to turn left to The Hel for the 44k's to Pieter&Marinette's place ... James realised Werner's consistent concern about riding in the dark, and rode that poor 125 "Balls to the Wall" belief me!!!  :eek7: :eek7: There was no time for "sight seeing", and I belief the 125's brakes either failed somewhere; or James didn't realise there was actually brakes and/or he secretly put some "jet fuel" into the poor little thing ...  >:D :patch:

Nevertheless, we made it before dark. The road, especially the last part down in the valley was quite wet and muddy in places - niice !!!  :ricky:

We bought some "Hel Witblits", and Pieter delivered a lot of wood with his "bakkie" to our caravan site ...  8)
The wood proofed to be inadequate as the evening progressed, but we made a plan with some dead trees and stuff - to completely destroy a "braai-drum" in the end ...  :-[ - sorry Pieter!!!

Much later after an absolute great evening and ride, I won the battle for supremacy in the caravan with my "alleged snoring:  :patch: :eek7: - and the Aussie had to emigrate to another caravan ...  :imaposer: :snorting:

Next morning - needless to say - we where a bit sloooow, but after some great coffee at the Kiosk, we felt better and proceeded on yet another great ride out of this "Hell of a Paradise" !!!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Attachments

• MontaguPass2.jpg
    MontaguPass2.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 520
  • MontaguPass3.jpg
    MontaguPass3.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 516
  • MontaguPass4.jpg
    MontaguPass4.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 522
  • MontaguPass5.jpg
    MontaguPass5.jpg