Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Decat 1200LC  (Read 4951 times)

Offline Donniepat

Re: Decat 1200LC
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 08:32:37 am »
2014 BMW R1200GS LC
2000 Aprillia RS250 MKII
1985 Suzuki GSXR750 Preslingshot
1991 Suzuki GSXR1100M Slingshot

Offline Donniepat

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 08:33:33 am »
2014 BMW R1200GS LC
2000 Aprillia RS250 MKII

Offline Donniepat

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 08:34:16 am »
2014 BMW R1200GS LC
2000 Aprillia RS250 MKII

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 08:31:09 am »
Myne is nou n jaar oud. Dink ek gaan dit maar doen :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 07:03:30 pm »
Het dit toe vandag laat doen.

Eerlik - ek voel nie veel verskil nie, maar ek moet by sÍ dat ek n nuwe agterband terselfde tyd gedoen het so moet dit nog kalm vat.
By Adventure Bike Tech gedoen in Edenvale en Anthony het ook sommer die headers mooi gemaak. Rondom R700 gewees.

Hulle sny die deel waarin die cat geleŽ is oop op die oorspronklike welds en haal dit uit en weld dan weer op dieselfde plek toe. Lyk stock std na die tyd.

Ek het n Ackro op en die tone en volume is redelik dieselfde.

Hoop dit help.

Well that was disappointing......

My understanding, after talking to a car exhaust boffin, cutting open, removing the cat and welding shut is more likely to impact negatively on performance as flow is disrupted by the, now empty, cavern sitting in the middle of the exhaust.  It may make a small improvement due to weight saving, if any, but again, he doubts it.  If you cut that whole area out and replace with a proper. correct sized Y-pipe, different story.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline hedleyj

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 08:39:18 pm »
From a flow perspective

If you want to keep the appearance then a piece of pipe straight through must be inserted and welded in.

Then the "can" can be closed up again on the old welds.

This is the best solution I've found on cars.
I'm sure the sun goes around the earth twice a day.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 07:42:46 pm »

Eerlik - ek voel nie veel verskil nie, maar ek moet by sÍ dat ek n nuwe agterband terselfde tyd gedoen het so moet dit nog kalm vat.
By Adventure Bike Tech gedoen in Edenvale en Anthony het ook sommer die headers mooi gemaak. Rondom R700 gewees.

Hulle sny die deel waarin die cat geleŽ is oop op die oorspronklike welds en haal dit uit en weld dan weer op dieselfde plek toe. Lyk stock std na die tyd.

Hoop dit help.

My understanding, after talking to a car exhaust boffin, cutting open, removing the cat and welding shut is more likely to impact negatively on performance as flow is disrupted by the, now empty, cavern sitting in the middle of the exhaust.  It may make a small improvement due to weight saving, if any, but again, he doubts it.  If you cut that whole area out and replace with a proper. correct sized Y-pipe, different story.

That's an interesting observation but imho the cat will cork up the exhaust eventually so a decat maybe the better of two evils after high mileage?
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 07:50:17 pm »

Hoop dit help.

My understanding, after talking to a car exhaust boffin, cutting open, removing the cat and welding shut is more likely to impact negatively on performance as flow is disrupted by the, now empty, cavern sitting in the middle of the exhaust.  It may make a small improvement due to weight saving, if any, but again, he doubts it.  If you cut that whole area out and replace with a proper. correct sized Y-pipe, different story.

That's an interesting observation but imho the cat will cork up the exhaust eventually so a decat maybe the better of two evils after high mileage?

Agreed.  Removing a clogged cat will definitely help.  When removing a brand new one, it may well be better to fork out the extra R1k to have a proper Y-piece fitted.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:50:48 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 07:53:06 pm »

Hoop dit help.

My understanding, after talking to a car exhaust boffin, cutting open, removing the cat and welding shut is more likely to impact negatively on performance as flow is disrupted by the, now empty, cavern sitting in the middle of the exhaust.  It may make a small improvement due to weight saving, if any, but again, he doubts it.  If you cut that whole area out and replace with a proper. correct sized Y-pipe, different story.

Agreed.  Removing a clogged cat will definitely help.  When removing a brand new one, it may well be better to fork out the extra R1k to have a proper Y-piece fitted.

My bike has 37k on it, I wonder if it is needed now or I can wait a year for the unofficial good faith warranty to expire.

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 09:37:01 pm »

Hoop dit help.

My bike has 37k on it, I wonder if it is needed now or I can wait a year for the unofficial good faith warranty to expire.

My previous bike had 109000km on when I sold it, still with the cat in.  I doubt yours will be clogged already, so you could probably wait, but then, we are dudes and we all know what happens when we dudes get an itch .....     >:D
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2016, 10:01:33 pm »

Hoop dit help.

My previous bike had 109000km on when I sold it, still with the cat in.  I doubt yours will be clogged already, so you could probably wait, but then, we are dudes and we all know what happens when we dudes get an itch .....     >:D

Absolutely but when I do mine, I will probably also go with the ceramic coating too.  Why do half a job? Lol

Offline Stichhom

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2016, 02:14:47 pm »
Hi Gents, just a question pertaining to the removal of the CAT on a LC. Do you have to load new software or does the de-cat procedure not influence the readings of the Lambda sensors located in the exhaust pipe?  I have heard on cages that the removal of the CAT can upset the readings from the sensors to an extent. This in turn can affect the smooth/optimum running of engine. Thanks for a great topic!
Keep a cool head - life is precious!

Offline Donniepat

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2016, 02:29:57 pm »
I had no issues. The sensor is before the cat.
2014 BMW R1200GS LC
2000 Aprillia RS250 MKII

Offline Buffel B

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • BMW R1200 GSA LC
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2016, 03:04:17 pm »
Dankie vir die info !!
Volg die Renoster-metode : "Kop-af en beur-vorentoe"

Offline GeenSand

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re:
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2016, 03:27:52 pm »
The only reason a CAT will block is if you use k@k fuel or the engine is burning oil..
The cat is designed to heat up very quickly to prevant any debris to adhere to it. So it is self cleaning.. the amount of heat cause it to burn off any carbon/debris. Unless externaly damaged the core wil not come loose and block the pipe.

Follow me I'm right behind you..
Take nothing but photos
Leave nothing but tracks
Kill nothing but time

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2016, 04:51:22 pm »
I am not sure why anyone would want to remove a catalytic converter.  Unless you feel nothing for pollution and all the reasons why it was installed in the first place.  I also hear about massive gains in power but it is usually without much proof.  Maybe 2 or 3 kW - if that much.  And all the while, under normal circumstances, we hardly ever use more than about 60% of the available power, if that much.  I would rather buy fuel for that money and go for a ride.  But that is me. Happy riding, guys  :thumleft:

I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2016, 05:00:04 pm »
I am not sure why anyone would want to remove a catalytic converter.  Unless you feel nothing for pollution and all the reasons why it was installed in the first place.  I also hear about massive gains in power but it is usually without much proof.  Maybe 2 or 3 kW - if that much.  And all the while, under normal circumstances, we hardly ever use more than about 60% of the available power, if that much.  I would rather buy fuel for that money and go for a ride.  But that is me. Happy riding, guys  :thumleft:

Because the common perception is that Catalytic converters have a limited lifespan and eventually block up.  I am not an expert in this field but I have seen converters that were removed from motor cars and those were definitely blocked up

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2016, 05:35:28 pm »

Because the common perception is that Catalytic converters have a limited lifespan and eventually block up.  I am not an expert in this field but I have seen converters that were removed from motor cars and those were definitely blocked up

Sure thing.  But on a new bike I doubt if it is worth the effort for the gains.
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline JAS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2016, 08:47:12 am »
Jip and it changes the smell of the burnt fuel in the morning !!!   :ricky:

I do agree you have to replace with straight pipe to prevent the airflow disruption, flow dynamics guys is a real thing !!

If you have ever seen a gas flowed head being tested on a flow bench in real life you will be shocked to see what impact
small things can do to airflow.

Might not be much but go google about the torque impact on removing the exhaust flap and you will see there is sometimes reasoning behind all the madness.

BMW R1200 GSA LC 2016
BMW F800 GS 2016

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2016, 10:59:04 am »
Jip and it changes the smell of the burnt fuel in the morning !!!   :ricky:

I do agree you have to replace with straight pipe to prevent the airflow disruption, flow dynamics guys is a real thing !!

If you have ever seen a gas flowed head being tested on a flow bench in real life you will be shocked to see what impact
small things can do to airflow.

Might not be much but go google about the torque impact on removing the exhaust flap and you will see there is sometimes reasoning behind all the madness.

I agree that manufacturers spend millions on R & D but from what I understand the Catalytic Converter is an emissions thing and given the choice, a manufacturer may not necessarily fit one.

I am going to leave mine standard