Xr 1000 Demo Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manic

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
So I took the BMW Xr1000 for a long ride today.
Been on the look out before the launch of them, but decided I must go try this.

First of all, the look of the bike is stunning to me. The new Multi color is like jaw dropping.

Its a tall bike, at least for me. At 1.74 I only have half of each foot on the ground when parked, but that is ok  :laughing4:

First few km I took it easy, getting use to the Clutch and throttle etc etc.
What I noticed first, the flicker button  >:D Its so far to the right of the thumb wheel thingy, my thumb is too short to reach it. Seat position is lekker, I can sit there all day long. Handlebars are wide, yoh! It feels wider than my 1190R. Took sometime to get use to this also. The screen is more than enough for me, at Highway speeds in the UP position I had no wind buffeting on my peaked helmet.

Once you pull off, and put feet on pegs. Oeps, it feels as if the pegs are too high? My knees bent quite a bit, so I would think the guy at 1.90 tall wont sit so lekker.

Going through gears playing with Quickshifter was also nice, something new to me. But I like  :biggrin:

So onto the Highway I went. I kept on looking for the 7th or 8th gear. This bike runs very high in the revs in 6th.
140kph sees you at around 6000rpm if I remember correctly. Here by 150 ish 7000rpm.
Positive of this, there is always power. No matter what gear you are in. Just wack it open and all hell breaks loose  :biggrin:

Im use to the 150hp of the 1190, so I did not get too excited about the 160hp it claims and thought ok, KTM power, cool  :biggrin:

So after mocking around pressing buttons and all that kak, I stopped. Hooked 1st gear, wide open throttle, and let the quickshifter do its job each time just before I reached the limiter through the gears.

HOLY MOTHER OF HOLY COW!!!

Speechless..........

This bike accelerates  like a Superbike, if not even faster cause of the short gear ratios. Hitting 200kph feels like 4 winks of the eye. No man no, this bike will kill me, I tell you.

On 190kph, gear change, and when the quickshifter gave power again, I could feel the front wheel lift of the tar  :eek:   :eek:   :eek: This bike is just insane. No other word for it.

I also believe there is a slight trick in using the quickshifter. Under wide open throttle, when you change, the front en dives for a split second, for me not being use to it, I had one moer of a fright!! If I had a pillion, on each change she wouldve klapped me with her helmet.

On 90% throttle though, the change is much smoother. Lower rpms its a smooth as you can get. With the POP each time, nyam nyam.

Awesome bike this!!

Will I buy one, well, I dont know. Maybe, maybe not  :biggrin:

It will be a awesome commuter indeed. But I wont say this is a allrounder. There the proper big dual bikes take the lead.
If you only ride weekends, and you want a second toy bike, THIS is the one to get.

I did not look at the bike weight, but it feels for sure much heavier than my SMT.

But I must say, I fell in love with this bike today. Its just insane  :thumleft:   :thumleft:

Latest posts