A Suspect GPS. A Dodgy Operator. A Good Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JourneyMan

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
The rare opportunity for a ride, not to mention an overnighter, were presented to me over the long weekend.

My Ou Boet's eldest son is getting married in August and they decided to do a fishing trip/bachelors at Pongola Game Reserve.

Since they left Friday already and me not able to make it, I decided to go down Saturday with the bike.

Planning was done and a route was plotted. Some apprehension as this was the longest trip I would do solo to date.

Strange how one suddenly appreciates the know-how, experience and confidence of fellow WD's when riding with them. :cool: Comfort for which one now has to plan yourself and hope all works out well.

Anyway. The day arrived and I started out with great anticipation, feeling I was well prepared for any eventualities.

Ready to rumble. I left exactly 06H00 Staurday morning, looking and feeling like Oros Mannetjie.

Long John, Long Jane, Jean, Riding Pants, T-Shirt, Sweater, Riding Jakcet and wind breaker.  :mrgreen:

IMG_0008.jpg

The Oros Suit helped me about 30km's. :rolleyes:

Half way to Delmas, I had to stop to warm my hand. Heated grips I had disconnected last year after a problem, thinking I won't need it.  :glasses12:

IMG_0011.jpg

Got going but still before Delmas I thought some tea might help. And it did.

IMG_0012.jpg

At Delmas the GPS was acting up and wasn't too sure on the route to take. Resulted in me driving around in circles for 60km's searching for  the dirt road planned. Cost me an hour. In the end, took tar towards Leandra.

From Leandra to Secunda and finally some dirt, even though I was unsure of whether the GPS was correct. Took the dirt and ended up at a intersection indicating Kinross Left, and some other place not mentioned on the GPS. Decided to go to the other place.  :scratch:

IMG_0014.jpg

Great was my joy when a landmark appeared which corresponded with the GPS route.  :hello2:

Somehow the GPS farked up again. Ended up in Harmony Mines worked out mines with no way through to Secunda. (As the GPS suggested). There and then I decided that when I win the Lotto, first order of business would be to upgrade the GPS.  :rolleyes:

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Retraced my steps and continued towards and through Secunda. By now completely ignoring the GPS.

Got a dirt road left after Secunda which joined later to tar towards Bethal and on to Morgenzon.

AT Morgenzon I enjoyed a refreshment before hitting dirt towards Amersfoort. The map was starting to make sense again.  :biggrin:

IMG_0018.jpg