Novice commuter looking for a Honda CBX Twister and advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EdwardM

I am a novice about to get my bike learner's licence at the age of 41. I live in Cape Town's Northern Suburbs and I need a bike to commute to work and back.  I am incredibly frustrated by sitting in traffic at for 2+ hours a day, plus random traffic on weekends. On top of everything, when I get to the front of the traffic jam, 9 times out of 10 there is no visible cause.  I am prepared to wear whatever weather gear I need in winter in order to be able to get to work on time without any stress.

I have been told that a Honda CBX 250cc Twister is the right bike for me to commute and learn on.  I rode a mate's Honda CBX  for an hour and was really impressed by how easy it was to ride and how much fun it was.  Of course his was really well maintained.

Any suggestions as to what other bikes I should be looking at? I am 6'2" and 98kg. I am not worried about going really fast, especially for the next year or 2 whilst I get to grips with learning to ride - I don't mind dying but I just don't want to be maimed...  I'd love to get into adventure / off road touring at some stage when I'm more experienced and hopefully have more cash.

I've been looking on the Gumtree and have created an alert for Honda CBX's.  I am looking to spend R15 000 - R18 000 but whilst I don't have the cash to buy a low mileage bike in pristine condition, I really can't afford to buy someone else's problems.

What should I look out for when buying a 2nd hand bike?  I viewed one that had a slack clutch, rusty chain and pointy sprockets and whilst this can be fixed, my gut feel was just not to even touch the bike due to its shabby, worn condition - it didn't look to me like it had been properly maintained and judging by the condition it could well have been around the clock already.

Does anyone have any suggestions / advice or know of someone in Cape Town selling their Twister or just standing in a garage that they should be selling? 

All advice and tips are welcome.  Thanks!