KLE 500 BIG upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakar wanabe

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLE 500
OK,

As my bike are being stripped and completely overhauled (big end seizure), I did some research and found out that there are some big bore cc kits out for the KLE 500 (or the ER5, GPZ 500 etc). Engine dynamics in the USA have two kits available a 540cc and a 600cc kit, they also do upgrades to the valves and head.

Below is some comparisons with standard and over size. All measurements are rounded for practical reasons.

Standard piston size: 74mm
Standard oversize: 74,5mm
Standard compression ratio: 9,8:1

Standard valve sizes: Exhaust - 24mm, Intake - 28,5mm

The Engine Dynamics site have the following:

540cc kit: 77mm piston, compression ratio of 11,5:1 (standard cylinder sleeve can still be used)
600cc kit: 81mm piston, compression ratio of 12:1 (new cylinder sleeve must be installed, there is ample space to accommodate a larger diameter bore)

Engine Dynamics valves: Exhaust - 25mm, Intake - 30,5mm

Does not know what the figures are of the upgraded bore kits, although it would be very interesting!!

I have also found that there are a lot of the Kawasaki models that share the same engine parts. The 2 cyclinder KLE is in fact half of the 4 cylinder ZX1000. I am waiting for more info on the correct piston crown height for some of the ZX, ZZR and even Z models, if they are the same as the KLE then ALL of the mentioned models pistons would work, if their piston pin are the same diameter, std KLE pin is 18mm

I also have a set of old valves that can be used to experiment regarding the sizing of the valves, as the head must also be reworked.

I know that the engine must be properly tuned to get the best results and it must be done with great care, but this has opened up a whole new possibility for me. I have acquired a Honda XL700V Transalp, so the KLE would now be my official project bike  :biggrin: :biggrin: (the TA XXL700V have a 81mm piston with a 18mm piston pin)

I am going to get more info from the engineering company that is doing this for me, had a lengthy discussion with them last week in doing this conversion. I need to take the parts to him so that he can measure it and advise accordingly.

Will keep you posted as I trot along this path.