Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The tool set that comes with the bike is lacking Africca Twin 2016  (Read 1247 times)

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
Just a heads up to those who haven't inspected your tool set that came with the bike - there are no tools for removing the rear wheel or front wheel- better go purchase yourself a 22mm and a 27mm spanner or tire spoons with those ends - I just assumed the bikes tool kit would come with at least the ability to change the tire - all of my bikes have had this in the standard tool kit from KLR's to CRF250s to XT500 - probably couldn't fit in that measly little box next to the battery - Africa Twin ITS REALLY CUTTING CORNERS !!!!!!!!!!
The little JIS screwdriver is very important - philips srewdrivers can also potentially harm a tight screw
Whats the 19mm ring spanner for ?

Lets get some good suggestions up for a decent kit ( AFRICA TWIN 2016 specific )

Mine would have a 22mm and 27mm combo tire spoon set .. possibly a rim saver for those gold wheels
bolts I have found that could be tightened / un-tightened on the road 8mm , 10mm ,13mm ( my bolts for the crashbars came with them ) , 14mm , bike came with a 19mm open - not sure where this fits on the bike yet .
Definitely a spare JIS screwdriver
Some suggested a 32 mm for the axle nuts ( no sure If I will go down that road )
Allen keys - don't know the sizes - fiddled around till I got the right ones out of my tool box , there are three different sizes
Spare head light bulb - from Honda if available yet .
Various more fuses than the one or two extra provided - cant be bothered to check - book says main fuse 30A , 20A ,15A,10A and a 7.5
Cir clip pliers if you have a centre stand plus a few cir clips spare to fit
spare plug - SILMA8A95 NGK x 4 and spark plug remover

NON AFRICA TWIN SPECIFIC
The rest of the gear its just your normal tyre chaning bits and fixes on the road stuff
Soap talc powder , patches , glue , spare front and back tube ( do you guys carry more ? )
A mini compressor - is there a decent quality one that is small and fits into a cigarette lighter charger ?
Small cable ties , large cable ties , gaffer tape , electrical take , pratleys steel set  , locktite , siphoning hose for petrol 2m
Various sizes hose clamps , superglue , spare front and rear brake pads ( for longer out of the country journeys )
Softwire and a leatherman , Jumper leads - ( anyone know if the DCT will even start successfully with a jump start and wont fry up the sensors etc )
Bead pro beadbraker hinges x set ali or steel not sure . Metal tyre pressure guage .

Please add or remove with a valid comment
cheers all and happy riding this awesome bike

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: The tool set that comes with the bike is lacking Africca Twin 2016
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 08:20:57 am »
Just a heads up to those who haven't inspected your tool set that came with the bike - there are no tools for removing the rear wheel or front wheel- better go purchase yourself a 22mm and a 27mm spanner or tire spoons with those ends - - Africa Twin ITS REALLY CUTTING CORNERS !!!!!!!!!!

Shanti - we sell the 22mm and 27mm ring spanners, each with a tire spoon on each end...
The little JIS screwdriver is very important - philips srewdrivers can also potentially harm a tight screw
Whats the 19mm ring spanner for ?
the 19mm ring spanner is to adjust the front shock, the blue part (note my technical description, here!)

Lets get some good suggestions up for a decent kit ( AFRICA TWIN 2016 specific )

Mine would have a 22mm and 27mm combo tire spoon set .. possibly a rim saver for those gold wheels
yes:
22mm FRONT
22mm REAR on the BOLT side,
and 27mm REAR on the NUT side...

bolts I have found that could be tightened / un-tightened on the road 8mm , 10mm ,13mm ( my bolts for the crashbars came with them ) , 14mm , bike came with a 19mm open - not sure where this fits on the bike yet .
Definitely a spare JIS screwdriver
Some suggested a 32 mm for the axle nuts ( no sure If I will go down that road )
working on this one...

Allen keys - don't know the sizes - fiddled around till I got the right ones out of my tool box , there are three different sizes
Spare head light bulb - from Honda if available yet .
Various more fuses than the one or two extra provided - cant be bothered to check - book says main fuse 30A , 20A ,15A,10A and a 7.5
Cir clip pliers if you have a centre stand plus a few cir clips spare to fit
spare plug - SILMA8A95 NGK x 4 and spark plug remover
as you mentioned they might be needed, we have 'rim savers' to protect the gold anozing etc, and they are inexpensive.
NON AFRICA TWIN SPECIFIC

A mini compressor - is there a decent quality one that is small and fits into a cigarette lighter charger ?
we carry FOUR compressors, but one of he best/smallest ones we import directly uses a SAE plug, direct to battery, always there so no need to fiddle around with cig lighter chargers, etc.
But the other 3 compressors have BOTH Hella as sell as cig socket plugs..
Softwire and a leatherman , Jumper leads - ( anyone know if the DCT will even start successfully with a jump start and wont fry up the sensors etc )
we do bike-specific jumper leads...
Bead pro beadbraker hinges x set ali or steel not sure .
Yes, we supply the 'Andy660' Beadmaster bead breakers, also the Motion Pro HOME set, and the Motion Pro Titanium BIKE set...
Metal tyre pressure guage .
Metal pencil guage, see pic
finally, we have ordered in 10 EMPTY tool rolls that will replace the ones we were having made up locally, and I will post a pic as soon as we receive stock - this allows anyone to build their OWN toolkit, especailly as many riders will already have a shifting spanner/long nose pliers/whatever suplus to their needs, that can then be added to the tool roll!

Please add or remove with a valid comment
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 08:30:01 am by zebra - Flying Brick »
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 08:48:20 am »
Thanks Chris - sent you a pm

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 12:54:21 pm »
Thanks Chris - sent you a pm
received and replied, thank you.
Chris & Team
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455

Offline arrowfeather

• Pack Dog
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 07:11:41 pm »
Will pick up a set end of the week chris !
XL500S - sold
GS650dakar- flew of a mountain
XT666R - ridin like a bat outta hell (for sale)
CRF1000l AT - sweet geezus

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 08:43:10 am »
Will pick up a set end of the week chris !
thanks, see you then.
Chris & Team