The case for visibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
In the March /April 2016 editions of Superbike Magazine, Clinton Pienaar wrote extensively on the cause of accidents and bike safety.
He says:
"How visible is your bike? I love the spotlights they have on adventure bikes, you can spot them from miles away in car’s rear view mirrors, in their line of sight. It can be said for cyclists with those flashing lights, yes, they might irritate you a little but I can promise that you won’t turn in front of someone like that.
So what’s my point? If you are going to commute, get yourself some extra lights. Think about it. Most car/bike accidents are caused by cars turning right in front of an oncoming bike and the most common excuse is that the car driver did just not see the bike. So with this in mind, when approaching an intersection, condition your mind that as a sillouette you look more like a pedestrian than a car, and a pedestrian travelling at 80km/h is in danger!

This is one of the reasons I like spots on a bike, and sell them by the dozen. You don't necessarily have to look like a Christmas tree (then you WON'T be missed!), but a set of good spots to augment the OEM lights is a must.

Attachments

• ChristmasTree.JPG
    ChristmasTree.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 765