ATGATT - close call

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVB

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
As a rule I try to avoid riding in the dark. However not always possible because I do not have a car.
The other night I was at a cancer support event and we shaved our hair in support to the girl (mom of 3) who lost hair due ro radiation on scull. (Bone cancer)

Being a bit emotional I caught myself riding k@k through Pta city on my way to Brits. I hardly ever have near miss on the bike as I am very alert and responsible. (I am a medic) Settled myself and cobcentrated.

I know there is a lot of lorries on the van der hoff extention to Brits so I decided to ride the boekenhoutkloof road. I forgot about the brick making factory on the road and the occarional bricks in the road. I spent the whole day in Pretoria doing police clearance (still hopefull to get employment soon and need yearly clearance) so normally if there is a lot of walking involved I will just wear my comfy tekkies instead of safery boots.

That morning I put on the tekkies but for sone reason got back to ny room and changed to my magnun steelcap safety boots.......which I will never regret.

So the NC got good standard light and visibility good but with no cars on the road and with ne always looking far ahead i missed the bricks in the road. Must admit I was still half sad about the cancer mom....I got a very small heart.

Next minite i hit these bricks at 110km/h with my left boot. The impact 'klapped' my boot right off the peg. I could not feel my leg at all! I reduced speed and then had ro manuvre through the remaining bricks on the road. I decided to keep riding as there were no cars and I thought the leg is broken. I was worried that once i stop I will not be able ro ride again and concerned about ny safety. I conrinued and with the nice rorque curve of rhe nc never had to use gears all the way to Brits. I stopped at the hospital. I still could not feel the leg but I somehow managed ro walk ok! So i came home, got in a hot bath and eventually the leg was ok. A bit swollen and sore but just soft tissue injuries.

Point I wanna make:
1: Try to avoid riding when you are emotional
2: Try ro avoid riding in the dark
3: always but always use proper ATGATt....even boots. I wear normal safety boots because of old parachute injury I can not wear mx boots

Be safe out there

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk