Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 640 Adventure to Rally  (Read 2465 times)

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
640 Adventure to Rally
« on: June 11, 2016, 10:23:43 am »

This was the last image in a what's app group earlier this year.  

I was part of a group of riders that were chatting up a storm about partaking in the West Coast Baja this year.  

But ..... Life happened and it so happened that it was not my turn.  Still followed the group and joined in the excitement leading up to the event and quietly shared in the joys, and pain of those that made it and those that didn't.

Sedert die enduro dae was dit 'n droom om eendag die Roof te doen.  Dit het nog nie gebeur nie, maar never say never!  

Through the exposure of Wilddog the Roof dream has however been substituted by a new dream, doing a full on rally.  (Disclosure - for me as newbie, inexperienced and of probably less than average ability, a light or anything lesser is deemed a rally!)

So now it's time to put this dream to reality - slowly.  

Having said that, I've contemplated many a times to what bike and how much to spend on this dream. 690 with rally equipment, 450 rally etc. etc. and came to the conclusion that I already have the bike that can do such an event without breaking the bank.  On the heavy side and probably not ideal, but with my ability and ambition just to complete an event, what more do I need?

So herewith is the official start of converting my 640 Adventure into my ultimate (albeit simplistic) rally machine!

Don't expect too much guys, gonna be slow as money and time permits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:15:04 pm by ktmkobus »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
640 Adventure to Rally - following a dream
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 10:30:02 am »
So dit is waarmee ek begin:  'n 2007 Ktm Adventure met 5,023km op die klok. Ja, jy het reg gelees. Stock standard behalwe 'n Bosson slip on, aftermarket screen, handlebar risers en crash bars.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:32:05 am by ktmkobus »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
Re: 640 Adventure to Rally - following a dream
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 10:44:13 am »
Some of the ideas thus far, and this is where I need some input please.

Raising the front fairing to allow additional clearance.  Will avoid high fender conversion as far as possible since I don't like it.

Wider foot pegs similar to these.

Steering damper.

And hopefully end up with something like this.

-David Livingstone-

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 10:49:00 am »
This I already have, thanks to a fellow dog. Already checked, in standard format have enough space for everything to fit. 👍🏻

-David Livingstone-

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 07:54:41 pm »
Hierdie kan ook werk, behalwe vir die high fender.

Lyk egter na so +-R4,000 vir die fairing! 😱

-David Livingstone-

Offline Sprocketbek

Re: 640 Adventure to Rally
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 08:43:50 pm »
Think long and hard why you want twin disc in front for an Amageza. (on that one photo I can only see one, so don't crucify me if you have shedded one already). Metaljockey also says one will stop it good enough, but he walks on water.

I have been surprised that not more use has been made of 640s. Ideal package to start off with. Big tank, ample power, great suspension if set up correctly.
As far as I know the most successful contender to date on a 640 has been Hendrik Moolman, he will definitely be able to give you a lot of info.

On the other hand, there are very few options of shedding weight on a 640.
Due to it's wrap-around tank, access to service items are a bit of a bitch too.....
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 09:16:59 pm »
No disk has been removed and no intention of removing one.  The weight issue is really not that big a deal for me, given that I'm not in it to win it.  :ricky:

I agree with the servicing issues due to the tank, but on a rally like the Baja, what more do you need to do but clean/swop the filter? Can't see the need to get to spark plug etc.?

-David Livingstone-

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 10:53:27 pm »
I'm just trying to point out things to consider, I think it's the best off-the-shelf bike for the job.

If you consider a damper, that will most likely raise your handlebars, depending on the set-up.
My 640 has raisers, but I actually think it handled better without them.
Try it yourself in different configurations in technical stuff at speed, sand, etc.

You might not plan on doing an overnight service but I have seen a lot of guys on all kinds of bikes having electrical / wiring problems under those conditions.
My 640 chafed some wires under the tank, for instance. Be familiar with the basic removal / replacement tasks.
I had a niggle too with an intermittent 'dead bike' situation, despite sidestand and clutch switches being bypassed.
Ended up being a wire that was over-crimped (by the factory) at a spade connector on the diode for the sidestand switch, behind the headlamp. Took me MONTHS to find that!
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

Offline evansv

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 01:43:16 am »
 :sip:
DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (current)

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 05:27:44 am »
I'm just trying to point out things to consider,

This is exactly what I need and appreciate.  :thumleft:  Every bit of advice will be considered, as I can sometimes be very naive and underestimate the unknown.

Fortunately I'm quite familiar with the tank removal, having had my fair share of carburetor trouble on a trip.  I've heard there's quite a good carburetor upgrade but hens teeth second hand and very pricey new.  Forgot the name now, but will probably stick to the standard.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:29:42 am by ktmkobus »

-David Livingstone-

Offline evansv

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 09:12:31 am »
I believe the carb upgrade is to the Keihin FCRMX 41 which is fitted to the 625 SXC. I have this carb on my bike & I love the instant throttle response of the engine. I don't know if there's any difference to the standard LC4, as I've never ridden one.

I welded in extra pieces to my sub-frame to strengthen it. I've broken mine twice now. I'm not sure if it's from luggage loading or not, as the second break didn't involve any luggage. I see you have luggage racks on, which may assist in holding everything together.

I've also had issues with wiring, where the coil chaffed through the wiring harness for the head light. Easy fix & relocated the harness somewhat.

I also ran my bike on Evans coolant for a while. This did seem to reduce engine temperatures in harsh conditions. The downside is that you can't use water with it, so if you blow a hose you need to carry coolant with you.

DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (current)

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 08:19:15 am »
Removing a front disk also allows the removal of the caliper, so vastly aiding unsprung weight.  However, the real advantage is that you can do pretty hard braking offroad with the single disk without loosing the front end.  It is a common mod for rallies.

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 09:19:00 am »
Removing a front disk also allows the removal of the caliper, so vastly aiding unsprung weight.  However, the real advantage is that you can do pretty hard braking offroad with the single disk without loosing the front end.  It is a common mod for rallies.

Thanks Bill.  Would you know if there's a preference of which side you take off?

-David Livingstone-

Offline Ginger

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 11:04:46 am »
The enduro kit front fender will fit the bike I have it on my bike.
Life is too short! Live to RIDE!
Honda CBR 400 SF, KTM640 and Suzuki GSXR 600

Offline Bazinga

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Nat-Su-Kow
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 02:43:46 pm »
 :sip:

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 11:41:05 pm »

Thanks Bill.  Would you know if there's a preference of which side you take off?

The right one, then you have all the cables and the brake line together on the left.

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 06:04:57 am »

The right one, then you have all the cables and the brake line together on the left.

Had a look and is sort of common sense ja. Thanks Bill.

-David Livingstone-

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 06:06:39 am »
The enduro kit front fender will fit the bike I have it on my bike.

Thanks Ginger, for the time being I'm going to stick to the low fender, but possibly raise it slightly.

-David Livingstone-

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
640 Adventure to Rally
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 10:21:18 am »
You sure you want to take a mint 5000km 640 and butcher it for rally? That is a collectors item - few around in that condition!

Anyway - unless you're going for the win, you could slap a roadbook on and ride it stock standard - except def add steering damper. Don't bother with all the other crap - you don't need big pegs or anything else. Two ICOs is nice though, cause one often fails.

I can put you in touch with Hendrik if you want - he was in our team the first year, when he rode the 640. It was quite a beat up one - his plaas bike - but he did fine. He's now on his second 500 though.

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
640 Adventure to Rally
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 03:39:13 pm »
Hi MaxThePanda,

Firstly, I won't be going for the win, way beyond my ability.

I have doubts every day about doing it with the 640, especially given the condition and how I've nurtured it since I bought it new.

But, I'm a tall oke and just don't  feel comfortable on a 450/500/525 etc.  There's mods you can do to the Ktm plastics but bliksem it's expensive.

Still caught between a rock and a hard place and hence the process is going very slowly.  Purchases to date have been restricted to rally equipment that can fit any bike.

Your advice is appreciated. 👍🏻

-David Livingstone-