Joey and Kobus made me do it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveD

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
I blame it on Joey Evans and Kobus Potgieter.
They don't know it, yet, but they unknowingly conspired to make this happen.

It started when Joey, or somebody linked to Joey, liked a page on Facebook with a link to a Mini-Enduro event to be hosted by EnduroWorld at Wild West.
"...a good opportunity to implement new skills and get advice between heats. Our objective is to teach riders basic and valuable skills from early on in their riding career, increasing safety, etiquette, techniques, confidence etc. This new series is aimed at Juniors, Novices and Lady riders to provide skills coaching and the opportunity to race in a safe and fun environment. The day starts off with an hour of coaching by experienced riders, followed by heat races on a short enduro track."
That sounded like a really good idea. Somebody should go and enter that.

Shortly afterwards, Kobus, or somebody linked to Kobus, can't remember exactly who, posted a picture of him racing at Dakar, with the quote "I'd rather be racing for one minute than spectating for a lifetime"
So I am the eternal spectator, nuts about bikes but not exactly blessed with natural ability. Actually, not much ability at all. But that Mini-Enduro thing mos said they catered for basic skills, novices, short track etc etc, and just one minute, it's not that long, you know.....

And so it began.