Weekend Ride with the Old Man

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unishaun

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
This RR does not involve any hardcore trails, mishaps or newly carved routes like some of what you see on other RR. What made this ride for me was the fact that this was the first "dual-sport/adventure" ride with my old man.

Now my Dad got me into riding many moons ago, and when I was old enough, I would join on the occasional breakfast run or rally. All of the rides were on road bikes, be it super bikes, tourers etc (my Dad has had a lot of bikes). However August last year saw me purchasing my first real bike, a Tiger 800. Since then I have been riding a lot of dirt and put on around 14 000km since then, the bug had certainly bitten. I have done the odd ride with MHM which were great, but I like riding alone or in smaller groups as I can do as I please and are less restricted.

At this stage my Dad was riding a FJR1300 (the ox wagon), of which this was his third. I think however me showing him pics of some of the stunning places the Tiger has taken me, he started to have an itch, and so the search began. The remedy for said itch was the recent purchase of an equally awesome Tiger 800 by my Dad, and just like that I had a new riding partner. The only problem was that my Dad had not ridden on the dirt much, if ever.

The question was then, where to go first?

So this past weekend, we hit the road and some dirt. I thought it safe to ease him into it so not to scare and sour the whole adventure riding thing. So from Tableview, we rode to Ceres with a short dirt stretch here and there to get a feel for things. From Ceres,  we hit Tankwa Padstal for refreshments. From there it was onward to Katbakkies pass and then on to Blinkberg pass after which we stopped at Oasis for ribs, rum and a good night rest.
The next morning we were up early, and hit the road to Citrusdal for fuel and breakfast in Piketberg. After a hearty meal we hit the final bit of tar  heading for home.

Like I said at the start, this is not a tail of epic proportions and pushing limits, the biggest and only issue we had was blowing a fuse while trying to re-inflate our tires, it was never the less an experience which I hope there will be plenty more of.

Attachments

• 1.Small.jpg
    1.Small.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 322
  • 2.Small.jpg
    2.Small.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 337
  • 3.Small.jpg
    3.Small.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 340
  • 4.Small.jpg
    4.Small.jpg