Amageza 2015, Off piste navagation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Amageza Rally 2015, Day 3.

I've been digging through some of my video, this one popped up that I thought was quite cool.

There are many times on a rally where a decision has to be made that involves a degree of risk. Mostly because you've fucked up somewhere and to get back on track requires some creativity. The consequences of getting this wrong can range from mild to severe.

There was some confusion in the roadbook at one of the villages. Where we were supposed to go left. Most of us all thundered on down a really big cutline. Some, went further than others trying to figure it out. One chap Chris Opperman ended up doing an extra 300km that day because of it.

I decided against going back the 15km against the track and oncoming racers  and to cut straight through 5km of Botswana bush on a bearing that would get me to the next waypoint. It was really a lot of fun, saw a honey badger, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest, jackal and springbok. Luckily I never came across any lion.

All the bushes have thorns, the more red/orange coloured ones have recurved double thorns that quite literally can pull you off the bike. The greener ones, (or dead ones) have these long milky daggers that can go right through a hand inside of an armoured knuckled glove.

At the end, I was relieved to first hear and then see a fellow competitor racing by. I don't think he was as appreciative of the herd of springbok I chased towards him.

[flash=700,450]https://www.youtube.com/v/6eEYiyJJK30[/flash]