Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Amageza 2015, Off piste navagation  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
Amageza 2015, Off piste navagation
« on: June 14, 2016, 10:46:21 am »
Amageza Rally 2015, Day 3.

I've been digging through some of my video, this one popped up that I thought was quite cool.

There are many times on a rally where a decision has to be made that involves a degree of risk. Mostly because you've fucked up somewhere and to get back on track requires some creativity. The consequences of getting this wrong can range from mild to severe.

There was some confusion in the roadbook at one of the villages. Where we were supposed to go left. Most of us all thundered on down a really big cutline. Some, went further than others trying to figure it out. One chap Chris Opperman ended up doing an extra 300km that day because of it.

I decided against going back the 15km against the track and oncoming racers  and to cut straight through 5km of Botswana bush on a bearing that would get me to the next waypoint. It was really a lot of fun, saw a honey badger, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest, jackal and springbok. Luckily I never came across any lion.

All the bushes have thorns, the more red/orange coloured ones have recurved double thorns that quite literally can pull you off the bike. The greener ones, (or dead ones) have these long milky daggers that can go right through a hand inside of an armoured knuckled glove.

At the end, I was relieved to first hear and then see a fellow competitor racing by. I don't think he was as appreciative of the herd of springbok I chased towards him.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6eEYiyJJK30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6eEYiyJJK30</a>
Somedays, life's like a middlemannetjie.

Offline Xpat

Re: Amageza 2015, Off piste navagation
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:34:44 am »
Was it in Zutshwe village? I think I recall from following here many people getting lost there.

I had one of the biggest fun ever riding the bush south of Zutshwe on the overweight Tenere - the sand was just perfect to slide arnound and very easy to ride. The only thing I had to watch out were animal dugouts. And lions, but I forgot all about them in the middle of all the fun.

Here is my video from that section - you can just skip to the offpiste riding between 1:21 and 2:34:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zONHQ6l1YWk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zONHQ6l1YWk</a>

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:52:34 am »
Was it in Zutshwe village? I think I recall from following here many people getting lost there.

No, it's in the North Western Kgaligadi, about 200ks south, southeast of Ganzi, About 100k's from Namibia

Offline Xpat

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 12:06:23 pm »
Sounds like the same area to me - and I think Day 3 was passing north of Kgalagadi. But hey, it doesn't matter - there is some fantastic and untapped riding available there.

Here is where Zutshwe is:

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 08:25:01 pm »
Ahh, there's another one by the same name in the south east. Yes, it's not far from there. We were all over that part of the world. Lovely area. Kak thorns!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:26:21 pm by Kamanya »

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 08:05:48 am »
But Chris saw elephants  :imaposer:

Offline ChrisMann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 12:22:52 pm »
At least I'm famous now! EVERYONE knows: Don't follow Chris, you will get lost...  :P

Actually, I wanted to do the same thing as Andrew. Navigate to the next waypoint. Just did not want to put my new KTM 450 RR through the Botswana thorn bushes. So decided to follow the main road till I get a fire road to turn left on towards the waypoint. Which we never find. I made terrible choice.

Run out of fuel at 480km. That's the range of a KTM 450 Rally at race pace. Impressive, huh?   :imaposer:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 12:32:31 pm by ChrisMann »
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline tehdutchie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Beta (all models)
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 05:44:06 pm »

Run out of fuel at 480km. That's the range of a KTM 450 Rally at race pace. Impressive, huh?   :imaposer:

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

didn't know that, some detour indeed!  :lol8: :lol8:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 08:05:32 am »
Andrew so was that heading from the road book or something you just worked out to get you back onto a known WP?

Either way, I hope Alexander & John give us some tulips like this where we have to navigate on a heading for a distance HP through bush. :deal:

It should mix it up a bit, because it seems even after a few years now, the majority of the field still just follow other people's tracks.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 03:20:42 pm »
Cool vid Andrew!
I did the same thing on another day, same year.....
But man - did I only end up in the bundus... recon if I broke down there they would have just left me cause no bakkie would have gotten to me. But it was that or run outa fuel.

On your vid - I was lucky enough to figure out the problem at that village...but not before doing about 50Km up 2 different roads to try find the right path..... Had to coast alot of that day to make it to the infamous fuel station on fumes....but at least in time to get some fuel before it ran out  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 03:21:04 pm by bonova »
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 05:32:52 pm »
Andrew so was that heading from the road book or something you just worked out to get you back onto a known WP?

It was something that I worked out. It was a calculated guess. Basically enough to cut the corner but not more than necessary that I risked penalties.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 06:35:16 pm »

It was something that I worked out. It was a calculated guess. Basically enough to cut the corner but not more than necessary that I risked penalties.

:thumleft:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250