Garmin GLO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianhogg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
Garmin GLO

A while ago I told you how you could use your small garmin GPS unit to send a fix to a big tablet screen at

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=182490.0

I have subsequently found out the Garmin make a special unit for this purpose called a Garmin GLO. As the name suggests, it locks into the Russian as well as the US satellites. Amazing such a small device can hold the Almanac and reading software for both.

The unit sends a signal by Bluetooth to your ipad, android or Windows netbook which overcomes the problem of powering them up at the same time although the cellphone battery in the unit lasts for a whole day of riding. For Android you need the app Bluetooth GPS and if you want to use in realtime on your netbbook for nroute or Google Earth you need GPSgate client. It’s interesting to see on the interface which satellites are US and which ones are Russian.

It is sold as an aviation product with a free introductory subscription to Garmin Pilot. It is incredibly sensitive and fast to lock in. Sitting on my study desk in a brick and tile house it had found over a dozen satellites in less than 30s. It also has a refresh rate of 10Hz which is the reason for the interface programs and it comes with a warning that if you use it for runway approach altitude you are on your own.  There is a geoid correction to altitude if you wish.  I got one from Easygis at R2449.

I have been so impressed by the new T4A 2016.5 (now available for download on the net as 8010_gmap20160500UL.rar) maps that I am wondering what their android offering looks like. Anyone using it?

Attachments

• 20160610_202831.jpg
    20160610_202831.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 20160610_202838.jpg
    20160610_202838.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 128