Dar Bikers in Western Tanzania - The Lound of Rakes Tlip (2013)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osadabwa

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
Hey Dogs,

I've received a lot of positive feedback from you fellas since I started posting about my riding in Kenya on the Big Red Pig, so I thought I'd dig back into a few rides I did while in Tanzania a few years back while I was astride my once beloved XR400 (doesn't hold a candle to her more full-featured sister the XR650R). I picked this one because it was an epic tale of woe and wayardness and yielded no end of priceless anecdotes. Lets see if you like it.  :snorting:

We kick off with a teaser:

So we set out for some of Africa's iconic lakes.  We would follow tracks we knew were good, and some from Google Earth we hoped existed.  There were seven of us, and our plan was to ride around Lake Rukwa to Lake Tanganyika and finish up at Lake Nyasa/Malawi if all would go according to plan.

00%252000map.jpg

Above: The route starting in Mbeya and rocking counter-clockwise around L. Rukwa to L. Tanganyika, down to L. Niassa back up to Mbeya

But with us, things rarely go according to plan.  There was insult and injury, sound and fury, and blood, sweat and beers.  Nevertheless, we did see our lakes, and had a hell of an adventure doing it. Be prepared for tse tse fly bites, river mishaps, mishkaki and chips mayayi, Konyagi and Splite and warm Kilimanjaro, a Cobra and other wildlife, a wicked tall suspension bridge, long days of deep bush, broken bikes and broken bones (literally this time), beautiful lakeside sunsets and ugly, dusty faced Dar Bikers.

Karibuni.

00%252001teaser.jpg

Above: Some food, some riding and a bit of river SCUBA diving

00%252002teaser.jpg

Above: An erect reptile, deep bush and a busy KTM mechanic

00%252003teaser.jpg

Above: Ominous words and some lake shore scenery

00%252004teaser.jpg

Above: A bit of everything you want in an African ride

That's all for now.