Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Smart car  (Read 2258 times)

Offline fixit

Re: Smart car
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 11:43:27 pm »
 :laughing4: :laughing4:

I'd actually like to hear a bit more about these things. Ok, my boet works for Mercedez, so he only gets to drive them for a few months. He probably got the ones built on late Friday afternoon  :biggrin:

If you look at the going price and if they are reliable as you say, then it seems a pretty good deal for a work and back car.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2016, 08:50:07 am »
And if the engine kaks on you, drop a Hayabusa motor into it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwzHJo3IXM
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:50:33 am by TrailBlazer »
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 10:29:21 am »
Suzuki swift. Good value and great little cars and the girls love them. We have the 1.5VVT. Suprisingly nippy if you rev it and does 14km/l in town and 19 at the speed limit on the highway
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 02:43:56 pm »
While they run they are fine... but when things break you are out on a limb.

Two of my friends had them and both say never again. All the savings in fuel economy went down the tube when the motors wore out or the ECU computer packed up.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 08:22:57 am »

Two of my friends had them and both say never again. All the savings in fuel economy went down the tube when the motors wore out or the ECU computer packed up.

People will have horror stories about any brand
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:23:53 am by Dwerg »
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 09:10:39 pm »

People will have horror stories about any brand
2 out of 2 is 2 too much... :sip:

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 11:53:36 am »
My wife owns a 2003 odd fortwo with 160 000 km.  On average these engines needs a rebuild at 100 000km.  Hers were done at about 110 000 a few years back for R11 000.00.

A few months ago the car suddenly lost power.  Se took it to the same crowd and they 'just fucked around'.  We eventually got the car back a few WEEKS and R7000.00 later (Overhauled the head due to burned valves.  600km later the car overheat and they gave us all sorts of stories, from no oil to turbo failure.  No compression etc etc.

At this stage I decided that I will do the job myself.  At least then I will know what I did or not do.  It seems as if the valves were burned (again)

A little research and I realized it will be possible to do the head (again) just by lowering the motor slightly.

On inspection it turned out that all three cylinders were heavily carbon ed up.  The chance of an oil leak via valve stem seals are thus excluded. Will have to go deeper.

Damages:
almost all valves was burnt, pistons had normal ring gap wear for 160 000km. No wear on the skirt.  The barrels were 'glassy' but still on std size. All valves was burnt and the wear were much more than what I expected.  They said they replaced the valves 600 km ago ??)  I don't know how but the one follower fell out (see pic)  Luckily it stayed clear or the cam lobe!!. Big ends was still in perfect condition and still on size. the cause for the oil consumption was collapsed oil rings on all pistons >:D

I bought std pistons, rings, full gasket set, full valve set, plugs and big end bearings. Total cost R 2 800.00 Even Merc does not sell the rubber tappet cover gasket anymore. 'You must seal it with gasket maker. (there are a recess for the original gasket that does not exist anymore.)

The tappet cover and sump were 'glued' together.  It took almost half an hour each to remove.  Rest came out fairly easy.  The one big end bolt heat was already stripped and it took some effort with the impact wrench to remove.  Somewhere along the line the valves also hit the pistons. (see dent on pic)

Ok, the head received new valves, stem seals and the 'lifters' were 'squeezed' to take new oil.  We also lapped the valves to remove the pitting.  fortunately most of the damage was on the valve itself and not the seat.

The small end on the con rod had to be heated to fit the gudion pin. The little 'lip' on one big end bearing had to be ground away as it seems they do not sell a 'left and right hand' set anymore. We tried to replace the big end bolts with allen caps (10.0).  These things are specially made with a 6.35 dia thread.  Ok, we then welded an allen cap head on the tbolt to replace the damaged Torx.  Worked like a charm.  that was also the only bolt that could be tightened to the correct spec.  All the torx started to slip due to prev damage.

With great anticipation we assembled the rest of the parts.  At the end I sat with 3 plugs on the wiring harnass with nowhere to go.  After a thorough we realized it is for the injectors.  Now this is a problem.  The motor is now fully mounted again and these little buggers are underneath the inlet manifold. NOO WAAI will I lower the motor again to lift the manifold.  I just loosened the bolts and could lift it high enough to squeeze the plus through.  With the help of welding rod I hot them on the plugs.

OK, ready to start.
I first cranked the motor a few times without the second set of spark plugs untill the oil light went off. Once all spark plugs was fitted  she fired up first time.  Due to the 'squeezing' of the lifters the motor was noisy and I intensely waited for it to quiet down.

Bled the water and let her get up to temp to see if there are any oil or water leaks. The one banjo bolt on the turbo cooling line leaked some water.  As I 'wanted' to tighten it a bit more it just broke off.  It seems that it was an old crack.  Replaced the banjo and re-test.

She is as quiet as an electric motor now and all seems OK.

The next phase is the plastics.  There are a few cracks and broken pieces. (these things just snap and crack.)  Will put a fibreglass tissue inside once I've glued the cracks to align properly.

Think of selling it but hey, for less than R3000.00 she can live another 100 000 km.

Will follow up on the body panel repairs soon.

Adie

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:01:00 pm by Weedkiller - Adie »
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline fixit

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 02:38:40 pm »
Interesting little motor. Are those push rods lifters hydraulic?

Connot see how it could have moved out like that?
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2016, 03:00:27 pm »
Interesting little motor. Are those push rods lifters hydraulic?

Connot see how it could have moved out like that?

It is actually a 'rocker cam follower' that pivot on an oil pressurized pin/tappet at one end.  A roller in the centre running on the cam and the other end pushing on the valve.  The  'tappet' is an oil filled little unit that extend to ensure the valve clearance stay ZERO.  I think the loss of oil pressure made it 'collapse' (It have a 4mm travel with no oil) and 'fell' out.

Apart for the compact/cramped design the motor is actually well thought out.  there are oil spray to lube the barrels an pistons from the bottom etc etc.

The interesting part is actually the gearbox.  It is a standard box with electronic shifting and clutch. It actually 'change gears'  ::)

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline fixit

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2016, 05:51:36 pm »
Yes the oil spray is used in a few motors nowadays that I've seen.

Makes sense with the drop in oil pressure then that they can come out. So they are hydraulic then.
The Honda motor is very similar in design. I saw one fail at 7000rpm, where the one con rod was fitted the wrong way around, so no lubrication in the barrel. The hole for the oil spray was facing the wrong way.  ::)

The Honda motors must be one of the best I've ever seen. hardly a failure recorded under 100 000 km. 

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 07:39:16 pm »
Some good info Adie
What I have read on other forums I think Manic has been very lucky.

My stepfather actually just bought one as well and he is having loads of issues now. But he bought from family, paid R30k for a 900cc turbo cabriolet thingamajig.
The car died on him after family insisted the car was recently serviced but they want to deliver it on a trailer... so with some effort he sees spark plug on 3rd piston is burned. replaced suspecting no service but soon the same issue again.
So currently he has found A LOT of small issues, stripped stuff and small leaks and cuts in ignition leats and and. Sounds alot like Adie's experience on the workmanchip that the car has seen.
So he will see if its better whereafter he will also start digging into the engine. Some good info Adie, I will definitely refer him to this thread as I think he will probably have to go the same route.

Other small car options... I think a mini without turbo is cheap to maintain. But I wont be put off as easily just because of there not being a spare tyre.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...