Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Advice on a 990  (Read 763 times)

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
Advice on a 990
« on: June 20, 2016, 08:25:43 am »
Last thread I'll open; promise  ::)

I'm lining up to buy a 2009 990 Adv with 40,000km on it for R85k. It's got a tall screen, aftermarket pipes of some sort (look like Leo Vince), tank bag, crash bars and heated grips. Seems like a good deal.
It's in George so I'll need someone to go and take a look at it for me, but I'll get to that. Then I get to ride it back to Jhb  :ricky:

I have read this thread which was helpful. There are a few items on there that I'll be looking out for but there are others I'm not sure of:

• I know about the clutch slave cylinder issue but how do I sort that out? Is it a big job? Who does the fix and how much does it cost?
  • Canisterectomy? I've tried reading up on this but I'm not grasping how important it is or how to get it done.
  • The bike hasn't been used much over the last few months. Is the battery the only concern or is there something else I should be checking?
  • Considering it's been at the coast all its life, are there any rust-prone bits I should be checking?
  • Lastly, the seller says he's going to take it to his local KTM-friendly bike shop for a once over before he sells it. Considering I'm going to jump on it and ride 1500km or so back home, is there anything specific I can ask them to check or do?

Thanks
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Advice on a 990
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 08:37:21 am »
Just wondering who his local Ktm dealer is in George.  :eek7: Not one there for years.
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline GraZer

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 09:54:24 am »
  • I know about the clutch slave cylinder issue but how do I sort that out? Is it a big job? Who does the fix and how much does it cost?

There is no "fix" that I'm aware of besides replacing it with an aftermarket one.

• Canisterectomy? I've tried reading up on this but I'm not grasping how important it is or how to get it done.

This is only partially applicable to the 990's in SA as they don't have an Evaporative Canister, which is where the name "Canisterectomy" comes from.
The SAS (Secondary Air System) is present on the SA 990's and removing it is not vital.

• The bike hasn't been used much over the last few months. Is the battery the only concern or is there something else I should be checking?

If memory serves, '09 is pre the fuel pump filter upgrade. It will be worth having the fuel pump filter checked (See last point below).
Besides the obvious things like, tyres, oil, coolat etc you should be fine.

• Considering it's been at the coast all its life, are there any rust-prone bits I should be checking?

Depending on how the owner has looked after the bike the amount of rust can vary. The spokes are always the most obvious point for rust along with the KTM bolt heads.
The reality is that you can never tell how much rust is present until you start removing parts and going through the bike properly.

• Lastly, the seller says he's going to take it to his local KTM-friendly bike shop for a once over before he sells it. Considering I'm going to jump on it and ride 1500km or so back home, is there anything specific I can ask them to check or do?

Fuel pump filter in left tank. They are prone to being clogged from bad fuel and will typically cause the bike to lose power above ~5000rpm. The repair kit is ~R900.
KTM Part# 61007090100 FILTER-SET FUEL PUMP
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:33:53 pm by GraZer »

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 11:06:44 am »
Good buy imo.

As above check fluids, service history and enjoy.
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'