Riding the Beast.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manic

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
I never got a chance to Demo ride the 1290GT. Had to buy first, ride later  :imaposer:

So today was my first out of town ride.

I just want to say, WHAT A FREAKIN MACHINE!!!  :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Initially I was afraid it will be much like a Superbike riding style, leaning onto the bars in town, stuffing up your wrists. But luckily its not.

On each bike I had, something was wrong. Had to move this up, or move that down to get comfy. On this bike, I got on and rode. Everything is just right. The controls, handlebars, gearlever, brake levers, all 100% like I like it.

The brakes are wild. This is the bike where you slam on the brakes, and YOU go over handlebars  :imaposer:

In town riding like an old toppie the power is smooth. Low down torque is insane. Changing at 2500rpm and still accelerating like crazy. At 120 constant speed there is a slight buzz through the footpegs, but not that its annoying at all, but it is there.

Stock screen in high position works well. Cruising along at 120-140 no head swing nothing. After a few km it went to 140-160, all still ok. Then to 160-180, this is where I missed my longer screen on the 1190. Now your head/helmet starts to fight the force the wind produces. My neck started to ache  :biggrin: For a Superbike rider used to this, it will be nothing, but I'm spoiled with the long screens  ::)

Another thing I was worried about, was harsh suspension. This aint the case. I had to move away from COMFORT to STREET suspension setting, as the bike would go up and down in a seasick movement, like gomma gomma style  :biggrin:   :biggrin:

Best part for last......
How does 173hp feel like.
Uh uh uh.
If I had the money, I would go buy a 2nd GT  :imaposer:   :imaposer:

Power there is always. At any revs, any speed, any gear. Wack it open, and holy moly, you take off like a rocket. No hesitation, no bogging down things, it just PULLS!!

3rd gear even STREET riding mode cant keep the nose down under hard acceleration.
3rd gear, around 90kph, open up, TC lights up on the dash  :eek: WTF!! Change to 4th with quickshifter TC comes on!!

Cornering is Motard style. Like a train on fixed tracks, Point and shoot. You feel 100% in control all the time. Even going too hot into a few corners, the bike did what I wanted it to do.

Quickshifter is awesome. With pop sound from the stock pipe with each change.

My verdict. This is one kick ass bike. Except for gravel riding it cant do, for all other things, this is the one.
Slow riding, cruising along, jaaging going mal, pillion, touring, speed freak riding, this is your machine of choice  :thumleft:

I can say, this is the best bike I've had in a long time. I'm very chuffed right now.

Compared to the XR1000 I test rode the other day, which is also a machine of note, I think I made the right choice.

Thanks KTM, for building this. It will keep me busy for a long time to come  :thumleft:   :thumleft: