DR puzzler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
So a few months ago I sold my DR to Simon and bought the Honda NC.

Last week he phoned me to ask for assistance as the bike suddenly refused to start. Arranged for him and Matie to come over on Sunday so that we could trouble shoot the fault. This is a DR after all, bound to be something small.

So the motor swings over like normal, there is spark at the plugs, but the bike refuses to start.

We start with the carb, test the fuel flow and dismantle and give it a proper cleaning and service. Check needle seat and float hight, no issues. Tick.

Next up was to check the valve clearances - they are spot on, both inlet and outlet. Starting to frown now.

Take out the air filter - spotless condition and dry.

So it gets fuel, it gets air and it gets spark but it does not fire.

I pull the manual closer - next step is to check the ignition coil. Matie Sparrow takes the shortcut and pulls the plugs from his bike and fits it into Simon's. One light touch on the happy button and the DR fires up instantaneously.

The DR has two spark plugs, but it seems the primary (bought and fitted just befire I sold the bike) went South. There is a clear blue spark when you check it, but I can only surmise that it us not strong enough to spark under compression.

As Matie said - sometimes the easiest solution is the right solution. Especially on such a basic and reliable bike as the DR.

So if your DR fails to start, change out your spark plugs - the solution might just be that simple ;D

Attachments

• Simon.jpg
    Simon.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Matie and Simon.jpg
    Matie and Simon.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 192