Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Hole in my exhaust!  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
Hole in my exhaust!
« on: June 28, 2016, 02:38:47 pm »
I noticed a rather funny sounding exhaust at some point this morning.

I realised that the carbon heat cover on the exhaust has lost a bottom bolt. It seems as though the wind has been pushing and pulling the cover up and down and the result is that it sheered of the mounting bracket from the exhaust, leaving this gaping hole...  :eek7:

I'll get it fixed asap and I've replaced the bottom bolt to keep the cover from falling of, but I'm worried that it will now do the same on the bottom or that the blowout of hot air would melt something in that area.

I'm also worried that doing welding in that area might have an impact on the lambda sensor...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:40:23 pm by Archangel »

Offline spankme

Re: Hole in my exhaust!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:06:47 pm »
Remove the sensor

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 03:13:19 pm »
Remove the sensor

I'm assuming you mean when they weld? I'm pretty sure I have to take the exhaust off the bike to repair as it's on the inside and will be hard to get to, which means that they'll remove the sensor.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:17:55 pm by Archangel »

Offline Kelevra

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 03:24:53 pm »
For a temporary fix you can just cut up a coke can and fit with some pluming clamps
Previous:
Suzuki DR 600 KTM 640 ADV  KTM 530 XCRW KTM 530 EXC Ducati 748 Ducati 1098
Current:
Honda XR 200R KTM 690 KTM 990 ADV R

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:26:58 pm »
For a temporary fix you can just cut up a coke can and fit with some pluming clamps

Good idea.  :thumleft: I was thinking of using that fiberglass exhaust heat wrap as temporary solution until I have time to remove and have it fixed.

Offline spankme

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 04:37:32 pm »
Probably titanium as well

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 04:40:06 pm »
Probably titanium as well
It would not be so rusty looking... that header may well just be stainless steel.

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 04:59:53 pm »
You just got and you have already broken it!  :patch:
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 05:09:33 pm »

Good idea.  :thumleft: I was thinking of using that fiberglass exhaust heat wrap as temporary solution until I have time to remove and have it fixed.

Pasop vir vlamme. Hy gaan direkte blaas hitte kry nou en nie net die pyp se hitte nie.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 06:57:20 pm »

Pasop vir vlamme. Hy gaan direkte blaas hitte kry nou en nie net die pyp se hitte nie.

Daai wrap is gerate tot ver oor 500 grade celsuis, so ek dink dit behoort OK te wees. Sommige tot oor 2000 grade lees ek!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 08:18:02 pm »
Exactly the same thing happened to mine - took exhaust off and just welded the stud back on (no lambda as have done the power-up mod but just take it off when welding. Pipe is not titanium - I just used a good thin stainless rod if I remember correctly. If you got someone who can Tig weld that is the best.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 04:29:50 pm »
Exactly the same thing happened to mine - took exhaust off and just welded the stud back on (no lambda as have done the power-up mod but just take it off when welding. Pipe is not titanium - I just used a good thin stainless rod if I remember correctly. If you got someone who can Tig weld that is the best.

Turns out this PowerUp mod was done on my bike too...  :deal:

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 04:32:20 pm »
So don't you think this Husky would go well with RedBull colour scheme?   :pot:

Anyways, covered with the can and then some fibreglass wrap and hose clamps to keep the lot together. Started her up and I think I've temporarily solved the issue.  :thumleft:

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 04:41:12 pm »
Better take that off immediately!  We all know Red Bull gives you wings and I am not sure you prefer it to be a Honda!   :ricky:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 11:11:12 am »
After riding to work this morning, I smelt something burning and did see some discoloration on the wrap and there was some smoke coming off...  :patch:

Not sure if it's just the Red Bull residue (smelt like Red Bull) that's evaporating, if it's something on the can (perhaps print) or if it's the wrap? Will have to keep an eye on this!

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 11:57:14 am »
After riding to work this morning, I smelt something burning and did see some discoloration on the wrap and there was some smoke coming off...  :patch:

Not sure if it's just the Red Bull residue (smelt like Red Bull) that's evaporating, if it's something on the can (perhaps print) or if it's the wrap? Will have to keep an eye on this!

Its the wings burning.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 12:37:52 pm »
Just a tip, when you get around to taking the exhaust off to have the bracket welded back on, mark the lowest point of the 2 header pipes and have the tig welding guy weld on 2 plugs with s/s screws so that if you ever drown the bike and water runs into the exhaust, you can drain all the water by taking the plugs out. Believe me this will solve you a LOT of hassle, don't ask me how I know!
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Tony the Boney

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Threw away the key and locked the door
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 01:28:32 pm »
You will smell burning. The can has a coating on it which will burn off and turn brown.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 01:47:59 pm »
Just a tip, when you get around to taking the exhaust off to have the bracket welded back on, mark the lowest point of the 2 header pipes and have the tig welding guy weld on 2 plugs with s/s screws so that if you ever drown the bike and water runs into the exhaust, you can drain all the water by taking the plugs out. Believe me this will solve you a LOT of hassle, don't ask me how I know!

Whatever happened to standing it up to drain the zorst? Ja I know a bit heavier than your average plastic but how often do you drown your bike?

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 04:23:53 pm »
BD we tried all of that, had the bike upright a few times and each time a cupful of water came out, spent most of a day in the pans trying to dry out the bike. I suspect even standing the bike up, some water runs out but some runs into the engine, two drain plugs would have saved us a lot of hassle. If you have your exhaust off I would strongly advise to have 2 drainplugs welded on for that one day when you need it.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.