Suspension settings for dummies AT 2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanti

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Greetings all .
Been trying to figure out the various suspension settings for my new bike .
Looking at the manual that the bike came with under each adjustment (preload , damping and compression ) the book says use the adjuster to suit load and road surface .
Now coming from bikes where I have not been faced with these options , what am I looking at ?
As the title says some help for this dummie in plain english would be most appreciated .
Firstly what does each adjustment actually do in regards to load and road surface ?
Secondly a real world situation or a few examples would be great .
For instance lets take my example - I am 74kg - riding to work and back on tar roads what would be optimal settings ? ( for lack of a start point lets make this the start point , adjustments from here up and down )
                                              - If I add a pillion where would I look at adjusting - front and back -preload  ,damping ,compression  ( road riding ) ? lets call the pillion 60kg
                                              - If I intend to do dirt riding without pillion what adjustments could I make from my original road riding position ?
                                              - again the above but with a pillion
                                              - lastly pillion with +30kg camping and gear - road and dirt
Possibly from here one could include adjustments for more technical terrain - rocks , soft sand etc 
Thanks and happy riding