Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Resolved: 2000 TE610 No Spark  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Alphat

Resolved: 2000 TE610 No Spark
« on: June 30, 2016, 09:11:15 am »
Calling all Husky gurus.
I recently bought a 2000 TE610E from a fellow dog. It was running but difficult to start when I got it. I replaced the cam rocker shafts and cam follower bearings, reassembled and couldn't get it to start. Went through the standard checks: Compression - Good, Fuel - Good, Spark - weak/intermittent.
Aha, I thought, electrical problem, I must have disturbed or damaged something while sorting out mechanical issues. So I started a process of elimination; changed spark plug, checked kill switch, tried new battery, checked all connectors, checked ground connections, checked point to point continuity on all wiring to and from alternator, CDI and ignition switch. Still no joy. By this stage the spark had degraded to a point where it could no longer arc the spark plug gap but if the spark plug cap was removed and the HT lead held a fraction of millimeter from the engine case, I could get a tiny, intermittent spark.

Measured the ignition coil resistances and got 0.2 Ohm (spec: 0.3 Ohm +/- 15%) across the primary and 6.08k Ohm (spec: 6k Ohm +/- 20%) across the secondary. So the primary was out of spec so got a universal coil that looks the same from Startline, tried it and got a slightly stronger spark but still not enough to arc the plug. The universal coil has different resistances to the stock so got hold of a known coil (thanks blazes) and tried that, still no better.

So on to other possible causes. Measured the resistances across the CPS (pickup) and got 96.3 Ohms (spec: 100 Ohm) and the exciter coil, 256 Ohm (spec: 260 Ohm). These looked ok to me. Came across this thread http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/01-610-spark-issues.10109/#post-225889 so checked the CPS and exciter coil outputs when cranking and got 220 mVAC peak from the CPS and 40 - 50 VAC from the exciter coil. These are about 20% and 40% respectively lower than the 390 mVAC peak and 55-60 VAC mentioned in the thread.

One other thing, the rev counter stopped working shortly before I bought the bike.

So now I am thinking the problem is one of two things:
Either a magnet has come loose in the flywheel; this is supported by the correct resistances but low voltages measured on the CPS and exciter coil. I have read of other people having magnets coming loose and causing similar problems.
OR
The CDI is faulty; this is supported by the rev counter stopping working as it receives its signal from the CDI. Although it could be that the weak signal from the CPS and/or low power from the exciter coil is causing the rev counter problem.

Has anyone experienced this before?
Is there any way to test the CDI before I try source a new one.
I will pull the alternator tomorrow and have a look at the magnets. Anything else I should check while I'm in there?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 08:42:54 am by Alphat »
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline TK

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
Re: Help: 2000 TE610 No Spark
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 05:17:12 pm »
Try this as I've had a 2000 model.
Take the tank off. There is a plate that holds the top of the motor to the frame. my plate cracked through and I lost spark. Sounds weird hey.........a lot of the ground wires are mounted to the top of the plate and with that the motor lost the ground and therefor NO Run.
Use it.....maybe?

Offline Alphat

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 07:36:48 pm »
Take the tank off. There is a plate that holds the top of the motor to the frame. my plate cracked through and I lost spark. Sounds weird hey.........a lot of the ground wires are mounted to the top of the plate and with that the motor lost the ground and therefor NO Run.
Use it.....maybe?

Thanks TK.
The top bracket was actually missing when I got the bike. So I fabbed a new one and cleaned the grounds.
The mystery continues ...

Checked the alternator this eve and no obvious problems. So CDI is the (current) top suspect  ???
Does anyone have a spare one I could try? I pay in beer  ;)
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 08:03:00 pm »
Is this the 610 that Scrat sold?

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 08:13:58 pm »
Use it.....maybe?

Thanks TK.
The top bracket was actually missing when I got the bike. So I fabbed a new one and cleaned the grounds.
The mystery continues ...

Checked the alternator this eve and no obvious problems. So CDI is the (current) top suspect  ???

That top engine bracket is a favourite for the bolts being loose (mine were) but missing  :o  Must have had 'good vibrations'  ;D
I think Blazes told me awhile back when I was trouble shooting that he had one for carbed 610's - luckily I found my problem as was not the CDI = $$$$
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Alphat

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 08:42:39 pm »
Is this the 610 that Scrat sold?

Nope, bought this one from bikeholic.

Thanks, Big Dom. I know he's got one from a later model so the connector is different, could probably make it work if it comes to it.
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline Alphat

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 08:15:49 am »

Or anyone have a same/similar year TE610 in Gauteng that I could come around and test the CDI? I can bring my bike on a trailer and swap out the CDI to try.
Thanks in advance.
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline Scrat

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 09:14:47 am »
Hey there,

i had a similar kind of issue when i wanted to replace my flywheel with one bought from a place in the UK.  (my original flywheel had one magnet come loose)

all readings was perfect but had a weak spark. and could not start the bike.... put back the old flywheel and all works again.

do you still have the original flywheel ? it has 4x magnets. it uses the same flywheel as the 2005-2007 TE/SM

something to look at and test maybe>
Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline Alphat

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 09:50:01 am »
Hey there,

i had a similar kind of issue when i wanted to replace my flywheel with one bought from a place in the UK.  (my original flywheel had one magnet come loose)

all readings was perfect but had a weak spark. and could not start the bike.... put back the old flywheel and all works again.

do you still have the original flywheel ? it has 4x magnets. it uses the same flywheel as the 2005-2007 TE/SM

something to look at and test maybe>

Hi Scrat,
Thanks for the input.
Thought this might be the problem but flywheel looks fine; all magnets firmly attached and evenly spaced. My flywheel looks like this:

Thinking about picking up a GY6 CDI from Startline to use as a diagnostic tool. They're pretty cheap and have read that they will work on the TE.
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 11:48:39 am »
Have you checked the HT lead and plug cap? Trying to remember if you swopped out the coil?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:49:50 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline Alphat

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 01:03:08 pm »
Have you checked the HT lead and plug cap? Trying to remember if you swopped out the coil?

Yup, changed both of these out with known good ones.

Just picked up one of these:

Was only R200 so if worst come to worst I'll just use as a CDI diagnostic unit.

Will post my results here and hopefully it will save someone some headaches in the future.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:04:10 pm by Alphat »
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline Alphat

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 02:19:23 pm »

Yup, changed both of these out with known good ones.

Just picked up one of these:

Was only R200 so if worst come to worst I'll just use as a CDI diagnostic unit.

Will post my results here and hopefully it will save someone some headaches in the future.

Bit concerning that this CDI says "TZR50" on it, which is a two stroke, so the ignition advance will be out, but if it give a spark it will have served its diagnostic function.
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 02:37:59 pm »
Sub

Offline Alphat

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 02:58:56 pm »
So I haven't been able to make any progress over the weekend due to the not being able to get the flywheel off. My word that thing is really on there. I made a flywheel puller and stripped the M12 bolt I was using. Replaced it with an M14, which resulted in my welds breaking. Then welded it up nice and strong and promptly stripped the M35 nut that screws onto the flywheel. And that was after heating the flywheel with a heatgun.

Got new high-tensile nuts and bolts today so will make up Flywheel Puller version 2.0 and try that out. Wish me luck.
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline TK

• Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 07:54:32 am »
Is'nt there someone on the forum stripping a 2000 te 610?

Offline Alphat

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 08:46:09 am »
Is'nt there someone on the forum stripping a 2000 te 610?

Scrat was, but he sold it complete to someone who wants to rebuild.
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline Alphat

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 08:38:22 am »
What a nightmare! I finally got the flywheel off last night, but cracked one of the magnets in the process. Not even sure how it happened.

Anyway, now I need a new magnet or better still a whole new flywheel. Does anyone know if the flywheel is the same right through the 610 range? Seems all 610's with the Kokusan Denki ignition use the same flywheel.

I'll put up a "Wanted" post in the classified section and see if anyone has one.
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 09:52:41 am »
As long as most of the magnets are still there, they should work - ask Scrat.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 10:16:32 am »
If it is cracked it should still work so long as well epoxied on.

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 10:18:32 am »
Have you checked the stick coil?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:18:54 am by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM