Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Resolved: 2000 TE610 No Spark  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Alphat

Re: Help: 2000 TE610 No Spark
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 10:39:02 am »
Thanks Crossed-Up and Big Dom. Unfortunately it didn't crack neatly into two, it has flaked around the edges of the crack, I am worried that I have lost too much material and that will result in an imbalance and or poor electrical performance.

I got hold of Kykdaar and he's got a damaged flywheel, so I am going to try salvage a magnet off that one.

Have you checked the stick coil?

I assume you are referring to the ignition coil? I have changed it out with a known good coil and got no improvement.
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Online Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 10:49:09 am »
Thanks Crossed-Up and Big Dom. Unfortunately it didn't crack neatly into two, it has flaked around the edges of the crack, I am worried that I have lost too much material and that will result in an imbalance and or poor electrical performance.

I got hold of Kykdaar and he's got a damaged flywheel, so I am going to try salvage a magnet off that one.

Have you checked the stick coil?

I assume you are referring to the ignition coil? I have changed it out with a known good coil and got no improvement.

Yes, I could not recall if the 610 had a normal or stick coil. I had this issue with the stick coil on my KX250F once.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 10:53:58 am »
Ignition coil resistance check
To gain access to the electronic coil (4) remove the saddle and the fuel tank (see pages E.4-
E.7). Detach the ignition coil from main wiring harness. Remove the fastening screws, the
ignition coil then measure the resistance in the primary and secondary windings using a
tester.
A: primary winding resistance: 4,5 Ohm (+/- 15%) at 20C/68F.
B: secondary winding resistance: 19,5 KOhm (+/- 20%) at 20C/68F (without spark
plug cap cable).
If the resistance is not between the specified values, replace the electronic coil.
Also, check the resistance of the terminal cap contact with the spark plug.
C: terminal cap resistance: 5 KOhm (+/- 10%) at 20C/68F.
If the resistance is not between the specified values, replace the electronic coil.

Terminal cap resistance may be worth checking.

"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Alphat

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 01:07:13 pm »
Ignition coil resistance check
To gain access to the electronic coil (4) remove the saddle and the fuel tank (see pages E.4-
E.7). Detach the ignition coil from main wiring harness. Remove the fastening screws, the
ignition coil then measure the resistance in the primary and secondary windings using a
tester.
A: primary winding resistance: 4,5 Ohm (+/- 15%) at 20C/68F.
B: secondary winding resistance: 19,5 KOhm (+/- 20%) at 20C/68F (without spark
plug cap cable).
Also, check the resistance of the terminal cap contact with the spark plug.
C: terminal cap resistance: 5 KOhm (+/- 10%) at 20C/68F.

Terminal cap resistance may be worth checking.

What year are these specs for?
The manual for the 2000 gives 0.3 Ohm +/- 15% for the primary and 6k Ohm +/- 20% for the secondary and 5k Ohm for the spark plug cap. The original coil on the bike was out of spec on the primary but the replacement one meets all these specs.

Yes, I could not recall if the 610 had a normal or stick coil. I had this issue with the stick coil on my KX250F once.

It's got a remote coil. I've had plenty problems with stick coils on my one car. They seem to degrade quicker than a remote coil due to the heat exposure.
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline Alphat

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 11:06:57 am »
UPDATE:

I have managed to source a damaged flywheel with some good magnets, so going to use one to replace my broken magnet. Then some reassembly work required before I can test the test CDI.
Getting there slowly, although it is a case of two steps forward and one step back at the moment.
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline Alphat

Re: Resolved: 2000 TE610 No Spark
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 08:51:16 am »
I have finally managed to get to the bottom of this issue. What a mission!
I pulled the magnets off my old flywheel only to find they were all pretty stuffed and only looked whole because they were held together by the epoxy. Managed to source another flywheel from someone breaking a SM610 down in Knysna. Put the new flywheel in and alas still no spark. I then wired in the "New Racing" CDI and finally SPARK! Couple of cranks and the bike started up.
Only problem is that the "New Racing" CDI has no ignition advance so the bike runs great up to about 3000rpm and then power dies off.
So now on the hunt for another CDI.
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline Scrat

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 08:06:00 am »
Yeah!!!

ok so now we know what the problem is ! do the guys in knysna not have a cdi for you?

Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline Alphat

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 02:00:05 pm »
Yeah!!!

ok so now we know what the problem is ! do the guys in knysna not have a cdi for you?

They do, but they want serious $$$! for it so thought I'd look around for another. No joy as of yet ...
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 04:20:13 pm »
Yeah!!!

They do, but they want serious $$$! for it so thought I'd look around for another. No joy as of yet ...

What is sea re arse $$$?
Have you looked on eBay?
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Scrat

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 01:00:49 pm »
i have a CDI from 2006 SM610 but don't think it will fit?

Offline Alphat

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2016, 01:32:35 pm »
Thanks Scrat, as far as I know the 2006 just has a different connector but the rest of the ignition system is the same so it should work. However that is moot as I negotiated with the helpful folks at The Motorcycle Graveyard in Knysna (thanks BiG DoM) and picked up the one off the SM610 they are currently stripping.
Will fit it in the next couple of days and then hopefully will have a fully functional bike.
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline Alphat

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 09:17:12 am »
Thanks Scrat, as far as I know the 2006 just has a different connector but the rest of the ignition system is the same so it should work. However that is moot as I negotiated with the helpful folks at The Motorcycle Graveyard in Knysna (thanks BiG DoM) and picked up the one off the SM610 they are currently stripping.
Will fit it in the next couple of days and then hopefully will have a fully functional bike.

UPDATE: Put in the replacement CDI from The Motorcycle Graveyard and the bike is running pretty well now  ;D

The rev counter still doesn't work though. It sits around 4000 rpm at idle and maxes out with pretty gentle revving (i.e. over-reading badly). Does anyone know where I could get this repaired?
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline Scrat

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2016, 09:46:38 am »
 :thumleft: :thumleft:

great stuff!! Glad to hear the bike is going again!!

Offline Alphat

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 01:47:01 pm »
I've decided to sell my TE610 to raise cash and make space for a new bike. If anyone is interested the ad can be found here: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=200427.0
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat