Resolved: 2000 TE610 No Spark

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alphat

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Calling all Husky gurus.
I recently bought a 2000 TE610E from a fellow dog. It was running but difficult to start when I got it. I replaced the cam rocker shafts and cam follower bearings, reassembled and couldn't get it to start. Went through the standard checks: Compression - Good, Fuel - Good, Spark - weak/intermittent.
Aha, I thought, electrical problem, I must have disturbed or damaged something while sorting out mechanical issues. So I started a process of elimination; changed spark plug, checked kill switch, tried new battery, checked all connectors, checked ground connections, checked point to point continuity on all wiring to and from alternator, CDI and ignition switch. Still no joy. By this stage the spark had degraded to a point where it could no longer arc the spark plug gap but if the spark plug cap was removed and the HT lead held a fraction of millimeter from the engine case, I could get a tiny, intermittent spark.

Measured the ignition coil resistances and got 0.2 Ohm (spec: 0.3 Ohm +/- 15%) across the primary and 6.08k Ohm (spec: 6k Ohm +/- 20%) across the secondary. So the primary was out of spec so got a universal coil that looks the same from Startline, tried it and got a slightly stronger spark but still not enough to arc the plug. The universal coil has different resistances to the stock so got hold of a known coil (thanks blazes) and tried that, still no better.

So on to other possible causes. Measured the resistances across the CPS (pickup) and got 96.3 Ohms (spec: 100 Ohm) and the exciter coil, 256 Ohm (spec: 260 Ohm). These looked ok to me. Came across this thread https://www.cafehusky.com/threads/01-610-spark-issues.10109/#post-225889 so checked the CPS and exciter coil outputs when cranking and got 220 mVAC peak from the CPS and 40 - 50 VAC from the exciter coil. These are about 20% and 40% respectively lower than the 390 mVAC peak and 55-60 VAC mentioned in the thread.

One other thing, the rev counter stopped working shortly before I bought the bike.

So now I am thinking the problem is one of two things:
Either a magnet has come loose in the flywheel; this is supported by the correct resistances but low voltages measured on the CPS and exciter coil. I have read of other people having magnets coming loose and causing similar problems.
OR
The CDI is faulty; this is supported by the rev counter stopping working as it receives its signal from the CDI. Although it could be that the weak signal from the CPS and/or low power from the exciter coil is causing the rev counter problem.

Has anyone experienced this before?
Is there any way to test the CDI before I try source a new one.
I will pull the alternator tomorrow and have a look at the magnets. Anything else I should check while I'm in there?

Thanks