Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ordering 690 sub-frame tank reinforment bolts - Perunmoto  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Rascal

Re: Ordering 690 sub-frame tank reinforment bolts - Perunmoto
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 01:12:15 pm »

My understanding is the other way around - it is the lower bolts that are the weak point and eventually cause breakage of the upper bolts. The crappy lower bolts (or rather bushings) develop a play, which eventually make upper bolt to break - at least that used to be the theory when they developed the replacements kits (I think Rally Raid first, then Perunmoto).

On top of that the upper bolts mount into flimsy flange/tab (is that correct word?) on the frame, while replacement ones add a screw to the other side reinforcing the whole assembly.

So I would (and did) replace both sets.
[/quote]

That is correct!  :thumleft:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 02:03:34 pm »

My understanding is the other way around - it is the lower bolts that are the weak point and eventually cause breakage of the upper bolts. The crappy lower bolts (or rather bushings) develop a play, which eventually make upper bolt to break - at least that used to be the theory when they developed the replacements kits (I think Rally Raid first, then Perunmoto).

On top of that the upper bolts mount into flimsy flange/tab (is that correct word?) on the frame, while replacement ones add a screw to the other side reinforcing the whole assembly.

So I would (and did) replace both sets.
Ok, learning WITH you here:  ;D

Here is what his WEBSITE says!:
http://www.perunmoto.com/collections/ktm-690-enduro-enduro-r/products/ktm-690-subframe-tank-reinforcement-kit
KTM 690 Enduro/Enduro R/SMC have known and documented problem with weak upper subframe (tank) bolts. This kit minimizes chance of failure of upper subframe (tank) bolts, by preventing free play in lower tank joint and by improving quality and design of upper tank joint.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong?
Cheers
Chris
[/quote]

I don't know - I read the Perunmoto quote exactly the same way as I described it. I do not deny that top bolts are crap, but my understanding is that main impetus for breakage is the free play in lower bushes, which stronger upper bolt may delay, but probably not completely prevent. That is why they well the lower bolts as well.

HEre is a video from Rally Raid, which says the same, but you have to wait till the second half of the video (about 6:20) as first one talks only about weakness of top bolts, but then states clearly in second half that the play in lower bolts is the culprit of upper bolts breakage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOBVgYVZJw4

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 04:09:15 pm »
Ping:

Rough rider
Boere

Packages are ready to go. Check your inboxes for details and please give me address via PM

I have for now 1 more set available for anyone who wants it. PM me for detail. R1200 (upper and lower bolts) 2014+
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD