Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Braai and Chimney Design Ideas  (Read 8509 times)

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
    • View Profile
Re: Braai and Chimney Design Ideas
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2018, 05:58:01 pm »
A 'butterfly' valve like in a carburetor.  In the chimney with a handle or wheel out the front.  Turn 90° to open or close.  Needs to be a nice fit so a frame for it to seal against.

Offline LLTHB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2018, 06:09:19 pm »
toktokkie I think you nailed it.

A hand wheel right through the chimney just above the lintel. A angle iron frame that holds a butterfly valve. This angle iron frame must be built in halves that are not identical but a mirror image.

When valve is in open position, it hangs vertically. When turned will rotate into place and one side will seal on the top of the angle iron frame and one side will seal on the other side of the frame at the bottom of the frame. ( I know what i mean ha ha.)

But, our braai nearly 2 m wide hey. So this valve will be 2 x 1m sections. Gonna hang right down into view and interfere with the braai. Also damn heavy.

Need to do some planning here, but basically this can work.

Gooi any more input you may have. thank you.

An old thread coming back to life.

We have just installed a pizza oven in our house, well nearly in.

Now we are working on the inside braai. Will look almost exactly like Sláinte Mhaith's inside braai. An open brick fireplace, not one of the steel Jetmaster type jobbies.

But a big advantage of those steel jobbies is the closing doors. So once braai and fire is finished in winter, you close the doors and now the wind cant suck the warm air out of the house.

With an open fire place type braai, I need suggestions on how to block of the chimney to keep the house warm. Essential for us as the wind can blow like hell in the Karoo and it makes the house damn cold when all the warm air gets sucked out.

Don't want to make doors for the fire place as the look and feel of the inside of the fire place will enhance our house. We are also putting a Dover cast iron stove in the fire place and want to be able to see it all the time.

So now I need some sort of pull rod that can pull a steel flap down into place???
A whirly bird on the top with a remote push / pull locking pin???
A wife to climb up on roof and slide a plate over the chimney???

All input and ideas appreciated.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:10:48 pm by LLTHB »
Karoo View Cottages
Prince Albert, Western Cape
Motorbike Friendly
http://www.karooview.co.za/
Discount to Wild Dogs

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2018, 07:47:53 pm »
So now I need some sort of pull rod that can pull a steel flap down into place???

This is what I still wanna do. 
Add a steel sheet or flap with normal hinges on the inside of the front wall of the chimney. Hinges at the bottom of flap and flap standing upright in chimney.
Hole through front wall with rod to hold top of flap against wall.
When I want to close chimney I release the rod or push it in and the flap 'falls' back to the rear wall to close the opening.
Steel sheet is the same width as chimney but a bit higher than the chimney is deep so that when closed it is not flat but at an angle.
It will then also act as a throttle and smoke shelf inside the chimney.

A whirly bird on the top with a remote push / pull locking pin???

Whirly bird is vir die voëls.
Kyk eerder na 'n dakkie oor die opening wat op 'n vliegtuig vlerk konsep werk.

Alternatief kan jy 'n waaier insit. Dit sal keer dat daar te veel lug deur trek as die waaier af is ook.

PS As die wind verkeerd waai en daar is oop deure waar negatiewe druk kan onstaan dan gaan die rook in die huis inkom.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2018, 10:14:21 am »
Ok then put the butterfly the other way so the axle runs from side to side.  Now you have a push/pull lever to open/close it.  Same angle iron frame idea so it closes tightly.  The push/pull lever can be inside the chimney dropping down into the corner of the braai area.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2018, 08:30:03 am »
Ok then put the butterfly the other way so the axle runs from side to side.  Now you have a push/pull lever to open/close it.  Same angle iron frame idea so it closes tightly.  The push/pull lever can be inside the chimney dropping down into the corner of the braai area.

You can even do more than one flap to make it lighter to operate.
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.