DR650 Cam Chain Tensioner Gasket Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munro39

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Hi guys,

I have a question that may unfortunately be coming too late.

I noticed an oil leak on my engine a few weeks ago and suspected it was coming from the cam chain tensioner but the leak wasn't bad enough to be sure.

I took the bike in for a service with the specific request to identify and fix this oil problem. The guys told me they'd fix the problem - "it was just a loose nut" - but I noticed very quickly that it wasn't fixed and was just getting worse. Was clear where it was coming from once it started spewing out onto my exhaust.

In my frustration at paying so much money for nothing, I decided to replace the gasket myself and that part went quite smoothly. The bike hasn't been on in over 3 weeks so starting her up was a bit difficult, but I switched off pretty soon because it just didn't sound the way I remember.

It may just be the time span, but I'm worried its because the CTT wasn't removed at TDC as (SOME) instructions suggest. The bike was not moved at all while it was out so it shouldn't have slipped, but I'm scared to do serious damage.

What may have occurred if it wasn't done at TDC, and what can be done to be sure its ok? There's no rattling or clunking, but it just doesn't sound quite right.

Thanks in advance,

Neil