Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Tyre Jack" & other spray-in foam/slime products  (Read 1339 times)

Offline raphaeltube

"Tyre Jack" & other spray-in foam/slime products
« on: July 07, 2016, 11:58:54 am »
Hi

This must have been discussed here before, but my quick search didn't reveal much so here goes.

I have had this stuff recommended a few times & met many riders who religeously carry a can of it at all times.
I've been on rides where I or one of my riding companions have used it after getting a puncture, at least 5 times in the last year and a half.
Of the 5 times I've used it/seen it used, it sort of worked once. The rest of the time it just caused more hassle & mess and wasted everybody's time.

So I think in future when I get a puncture, I'm not even going to bother with it, and rather just do a propper repair first time.

What are your experiences with it?

-R
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:59:27 am by raphaeltube »
I don't want a pickle...
                        -Arlo Guthrie

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: "Tyre Jack" & other spray-in foam/slime products
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 12:07:02 pm »
Generally shyte imo. I always laugh when I see cans taped to bikes just waiting to rub through due to vibration and squirt all over the back wheel or wherever. Seen it so often.  :loll:

Best product is an Oz product called Tyre Shield - put it in and it seals when tyre is punctured. If it does not chances are the hole is a slit and too big to plug or patch. It is next generation 'slime' type product and superior to anything else out there. Also water soluble so easy to clean tyres and rims when removed.

http://www.tyreshield.co.za
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 01:17:09 pm »
Generally shyte imo. I always laugh when I see cans taped to bikes just waiting to rub through due to vibration and squirt all over the back wheel or wherever. Seen it so often.  :loll:

Best product is an Oz product called Tyre Shield - put it in and it seals when tyre is punctured. If it does not chances are the hole is a slit and too big to plug or patch. It is next generation 'slime' type product and superior to anything else out there. Also water soluble so easy to clean tyres and rims when removed.

http://www.tyreshield.co.za

Years ago I had a can taped to my handlebars on a RM 125.    One day riding along I could not understand why it suddenly became so misty!!  :laughing4:

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 02:18:05 pm »
Those can things are dangerous. On tubeless wheels they can lube the rim surface making it easier to pop off the bead if not inflated properly. Know of one person ending up with serious injuries in hospital as a result.

NO quick fix

Got a puncture? then fix it!
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Africamike

• aka Ventana
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 02:20:08 pm »
Agree that Tyre Shield is the best - picked up a serious nail while visiting a client in Rosslyn a while back - left the nail in the tyre and rode back to Krugersdorp - about 120k's and when home I pulled the nail.  The tyre remained fully inflated with Tyre Shield and I only eventually replaced the tube at the next tyre change.  Brilliant stuff!
Rom 1:16

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 03:17:08 pm »
Tyre Shields is good however it leans toward tubeless although working on tubed but for smaller holes. I carry a mechanic in a can...in fact two...on the bike for emergencies. Usually not mine....i did use it though & got from Van Rhynsdorp to Vredendal  :thumleft:
I blew some into a mates back tyre at Dassiesfontein & he klapped it back to CT no problem. Always carry  :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline JMG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Miss my orange bike!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 03:24:39 pm »
Ive had fugit in my tubes for just over a year, on and off road riding, not one puncture so far. Prior to that I only had 1 puncture and that was in my own garage. At R60 bucks a tyre it's not to bad
Honda XR 650L, Royal Enfield 500 classic, TVS APACHE 180, Ktm 640 adventure, Yamaha XT250.

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 03:33:17 pm »
I used Fugit once as I had a rough trip with 5 punctures so my other resources were used up. I got it from Thabazimbi co-op.

Worked well until I got carried away the next day and was hitting the one tar stretch between dirt roads and the slime overheated at 140 km/h. Left me with a mess. Thankfully by then a mate had joined and he had another tube. So Fugit works well until you go too fast. It had lasted 2 days at 80 - 100 on those dirt highways between Thabazimbi and the Bots border without any issue.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 06:14:01 pm »
Tyre Shields is good however it leans toward tubeless although working on tubed but for smaller holes. I carry a mechanic in a can...in fact two...on the bike for emergencies. Usually not mine....i did use it though & got from Van Rhynsdorp to Vredendal  :thumleft:
I blew some into a mates back tyre at Dassiesfontein & he klapped it back to CT no problem. Always carry  :thumleft:

They have a range now covering most options of on-road, off road, heavy duty etc. I would not say only suited to tubeless and small holes ??
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky: