Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BoosterPlug on Kawasaki 650s  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
BoosterPlug on Kawasaki 650s
« on: July 08, 2016, 11:01:15 am »
Johan rides a 650 Vulcan and ER6N. His wife also rides an ER6N which shares a motor with the Versys. He recently fitted a BoosterPlug on his ER6N, and made the mistake to then fit the BoosterPlug to his wife's ER6N. Now she doesn't want to give it back because the fueling is so nice. It adds usable rpm to the bottom end of the rpm range. Gone is the jerkiness and on/off sensation. It now pulls right through the rpm range. It forced him to now get another BoosterPlug for his bike.
He also fitted a BoosterPlug on the 650 Vulcan with heavier crank/flywheel. It was tricky to pull away with the Vulcan, he said, but after fitting a BoosterPlug the Vulcan is smooth. No more stalling and hesitation on pullaway.
The same BoosterPlug works on the 650 Versys.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Africa Twin = GROOT KLR
Re: BoosterPlug on Kawasaki 650s
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 08:48:43 pm »
The Q is how much??
Skaap tjops, Lammie se kerrie wors en Klein Karoo sterre;
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Titanic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life begins at 260.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 08:55:41 pm »
The Q is how much??
Same question here.
My er6 is very rough at low revs.

Offline Kawasefi

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 05:11:04 pm »
The ER6, Versys, and Vulcan are all in a different state of tune, does the same plug work on all of them?

I heard the 2015/16 Versys is very flat below 4000rpm. My 2014 pulls nicely right from idle, but the throttle is a bit jerky like most FI bikes, wouldn't mind smoothing that out.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 11:59:38 am »
The ER6, Versys, and Vulcan are all in a different state of tune, does the same plug work on all of them?

I heard the 2015/16 Versys is very flat below 4000rpm. My 2014 pulls nicely right from idle, but the throttle is a bit jerky like most FI bikes, wouldn't mind smoothing that out.
Yes. Even though they are in different state of tunes and with different flywheel weights, the EFI's are the same, and they are all set to run lean. The BoosterPlug increases the Air/Fuel mixture with 6% when you need it and makes the bike more rideable.

"I heard the 2015/16 Versys is very flat below 4000rpm.":
a typical symptom of lean mixtures - even my 2008 Versys lacked some power in the bottom half of the rpm range, and would have benefited from fitting a BoosterPlug.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Kawasefi

• Race Dog
Re:
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 05:35:07 pm »
That sounds good. Does the booster plug increase fuel consumption at all? My understanding is that a slightly richer mixture also lets the motor run cooler which bodes well for longevity.

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 10:25:13 pm »
Correct, the 11-14 V run very lean at 3900-4500 to allow for euro tests and economy. The 15 up also runs same tune and higher compression like the road bikes, that will explain the lower torque below 4000.
I've set my 14 up with a dynojet fuel commander and O2 eliminator to allow custom FI tuning for Akro side mount pipe. But in hindsight the O2 eliminator did the thing by not trying to lean out the mix at cruise speed 3500-5500. From 6000 the stock map is rich enough to not run lean even with a aftermarket can on.
The eliminator cost is about R395. Its basically a OEM harness connecter with 2 resistors and some waterproofing glue, so theoretically it can be diyed for much less. This does cause the FI fault signal to come on over extends periods of constant throttle in the 3500-5500 rev range by not allowing the FI to lean the mix. The result is a red light on the dash, resettable with the ignition turn to off.
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 10:40:29 pm »
This plug in should work well for the Versys in stock or stage1 trim.

My Dyno FC is set up with only the idle mix slightly richer than stock and the accelerator pump feature to 5% richer at +25% quick throttle opening, I use the stock map at sea level with great results, good economy for my riding style. Throttle response is smooth but close to idle its still a bit like an on/off switch 0- 2% throttle.
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 10:11:15 am »
There are different schools of thought on tampering with the O2/lambda sensor. The O2 sensor ensures that the bike does not run too lean or too rich, and maintains good fuel consumption. Eliminating the O2 sensor causes the bike to run rich when you don't need it.
After fitting an aftermarket pipe, the O2 sensor will also ensure that there is no damage to the engine from too lean running.
For rideability the engine needs more petrol under acceleration only, and that is what differentiates AIT sensor modifying devices like the BoosterPlug from O2 modifiers. It adds 6% fuel just under acceleration, deceleration (to ensure that the engine doesn't stall under deceleration) and idle (a stronger idle prevents stalling and improves idle speed maneuverability).
New Euro 4 regulations make a FI fault light on the dash compulsory - indicating Lambda sensor tampering and it is for that reason also not happy with a Power Commander.
BoosterPlug can safely be used within Euro 4 regulation parameters.

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 10:47:09 pm »
That's good to hear. Seems like the perfect marriage to the lean mix problem some Versys' suffer from without spending big $$ on PowerCommanders or triggering fault lights.
To which sensors does it link to? Or does it simply plug to the main harness under the seat?
PM me a price pls. I'll sell my PC on ebay if happy with this plug-in.
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Kawasefi

• Race Dog
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 10:17:22 am »
I've read that some bikes' ECU's will learn to negate the settings of the booster plug and revert to OEM settings over time. Any truth to this? I doubt the Versys ECU is that advanced.

Berty please give it a go and let us know  ;)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 10:37:46 am »
That's good to hear. Seems like the perfect marriage to the lean mix problem some Versys' suffer from without spending big $$ on PowerCommanders or triggering fault lights.
To which sensors does it link to? Or does it simply plug to the main harness under the seat?
PM me a price pls. I'll sell my PC on ebay if happy with this plug-in.
Hi Berty
Installing a BoosterPlug is simple Plug 'n Play. Find the Air Intake Temperature Sensor on the airbox, disconnect the current plug, plug in the BoosterPlug, and there you go. The temperature sensor on the end of a 40cm cable is cable tied towards the front of the bike where it receives ambient air. That's it. You might have to part with your PC...

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 10:42:01 am »
I've read that some bikes' ECU's will learn to negate the settings of the booster plug and revert to OEM settings over time. Any truth to this? I doubt the Versys ECU is that advanced.

Berty please give it a go and let us know  ;)
Yes, the rumour is flying around. For an ECU to learn you need a broad band Lambda sensor, and they are too finicky and expensive to install. Learning does not take place, otherwise the bike would have been able to veer off factory settings completely. A basic fuel map still determines fueling, regulated by a few sensors making the mixture richer or leaner, depending on air and oil temp, air pressure and finally O2 in the exhaust under certain conditions only.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 10:47:36 am »
Best thing about a BoosterPlug is that you don't need dyno tuning, you don't need to delete factory settings and struggle with the unintended consequences, and it is 1/3rd the price of a Power Commander.